Would you LIVE in a FLOATING CITY on the OCEAN? Check it out

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Floating city in Maldives

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F220616085339-waterstudio-maldives-1.jpg

Acity is rising from the waters of the Indian Ocean. In a turquoise lagoon, just 10 minutes by boat from Male, the Maldivian capital, a floating city, big enough to house 20,000 people, is being constructed.
Designed in a pattern similar to brain coral, the city will consist of 5,000 floating units including houses, restaurants, shops and schools, with canals running in between. The first units will be unveiled this month, with residents starting to move in early 2024, and the whole city is due to be completed by 2027.
The project -- a joint venture between property developer Dutch Docklands and the Government of the Maldives -- is not meant as a wild experiment or a futuristic vision: it's being built as a practical solution to the harsh reality of sea-level rise.

An archipelago of 1,190 low-lying islands, the Maldives is one of the world's most vulnerable nations to climate change. Eighty percent of its land area is less than one meter above sea level, and with levels projected to rise up to a meter by the end of the century, almost the entire country could be submerged.

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F220616085502-waterstudio-maldives-2.jpg

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Looks like the structures will be floating concrete platoons that will be anchored and they will rise/lower with the tides.

Me personally

:hubie:

I do a prayer each time I go over the i90 bridge over Lake Washington...especially since that bytch partially sunk like in 1992. It's a floating bridge made of concrete platoons.

And I asked a question a d the response time if.someone were to find themselves In the water isn't good.

Navy made me respect and fear the ocean and waters. I hate riding the ferries. I feel like they should have rescue boats on patrol when ferries are running for quick rescue in an emergency.

In the NAVY during flight ops before we could launch ANY jet...they would first send up a rescue helicopter with rescue swimmers. And have a rhib boat on standby ran by boatswain mate. This was to ensure a speedy response to a pilot having to eject into the water or etc.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
An archipelago of 1,190 low-lying islands, the Maldives is one of the world's most vulnerable nations to climate change. Eighty percent of its land area is less than one meter above sea level, and with levels projected to rise up to a meter by the end of the century, almost the entire country could be submerged.
grandpa-abe-exit.gif

Unolove

All Star
Daps
Looks like the structures will be floating concrete platoons that will be anchored and they will rise/lower with the tides.

Me personally

I do a prayer each time I go over the i90 bridge over Lake Washington...especially since that bytch partially sunk like in 1992. It's a floating bridge made of concrete platoons.

And I asked a question a d the response time if.someone were to find themselves In the water isn't good.

Navy made me respect and fear the ocean and waters. I hate riding the ferries. I feel like they should have rescue boats on patrol when ferries are running for quick rescue in an emergency.

In the NAVY during flight ops before we could launch ANY jet...they would first send up a rescue helicopter with rescue swimmers. And have a rhib boat on standby ran by boatswain mate. This was to ensure a speedy response to a pilot having to eject into the water or etc.
Yeah bruh I turned down a cruise when I was fresh out the navy fukk all that

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps

Me personally

What's weird is that the AF didn't have nikkas scared to fly.
umad-removebg-preview.png

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Cruise standards and safety guidelines be :trash:

The crews need to be drilled constantly to be efficient in an emergency...I hate general quarters but those drills were valuable in case of emergency.
The threat of getting captain mast for gundecking made sure brehs did maintainance right too :mjgrin:

These cruise liners ran by Captain who imnot sure would go.down with the ship...yoo many stories I've read of a ferry or cruise ship the captain was inefficient and/or left the ship during sinking.

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
When I saw the start of the thread I thought 'Floating City On Venus'. The atmospheric pressure is so high you could in theory have ships sit on top of it, and it could be self sufficient.

Honestly who cares where the city is as long as its not sinking into the ocean or whatever. How high are the taxes?