Your stealership stories

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I bought a used BMW from a Jaguar dealership. They said they did a 50 point (or whatever number) inspection on all used cars they sell. I buy it. It runs fine. But, it's really bad on gas mileage. My previous car had a 4-cylinder and I knew going to a 6-cylinder would use more gas but not in the low-20 MPG. Anyway, I start teaching myself some basic stuff. I buy a Haynes manual. On my first foray into doing a tune-up, I check the air filter. Now, I've only had the car for two months in pretty much a non-dusty air environment in Pennsylvania, not the Baja Desert. I take out the air filter and it's got huge amounts of dirt in the filter. :dahell: Literally, I tilt it over and sand is falling out. It's like if they did a 50 point inspection, they would have replaced the air filter. Anyway, I replace that, change the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor and my MPG goes up by 6 MPG.

DrunkenNovice

Superstar
Daps
My chick is getting quoted ~350 to get new Rotors, and Pads on a 2010 VW Jetta. I know on a dom thats high as hell, but I checked mom n pops / chain places and they are all quoting around that number.

I looked at the rotors and they have deep grooves in there which I think is causing the grinding sound.

Opinions on price?

@BlvdBrawler @GinaThatAintNoDamnPuppy! @Ricky Church

Ricky Church

Stole Timberlake's Spaceship-Coupe
Daps
Reppin
Hudson County N.J. [Jersey City 201]
My chick is getting quoted ~350 to get new Rotors, and Pads on a 2010 VW Jetta. I know on a dom thats high as hell, but I checked mom n pops / chain places and they are all quoting around that number.

I looked at the rotors and they have deep grooves in there which I think is causing the grinding sound.

Opinions on price?

@BlvdBrawler @GinaThatAintNoDamnPuppy! @Ricky Church

Euro cars always cost a little more, in this case $350 for pads and rotors (if it's only fronts or rears) then it's the right price, if it's for both front and rear axles then $350 is a steal.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA

Opinions on price?
With labor, that is about right.

If you did it yourself, it would cost much less. I do my own brake work. It's dirty, but I have the tools. The hardest part is getting off rusted bolts. After that, it's relatively easy.
If you grooves in your rotors, then you are probably worn out your brake pads to where there is no pad material left. I've done it before, you get a loud grinding sound while driving. It will also decrease fuel efficiency.