Zelda creator Eiji Aonuma thinks linear games are a thing of the past

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Wide linear, but I wouldn’t say open world. You can tell how much experience they didn’t have with how empty the shyt was.
There was really no point in running around the empty world most mission you could drop off right next to the point of interest.

Wasn’t really an “open world” game like GTA or something.

The “open world” in mgsv just gave you lots more options on how to approach missions, and i think it works really well.

No other game has come close to giving you that kind of freedom since :ehh:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Maybe how you play in terms of combat but there is never a set of objective to tackle out of order. It’s basically one thing that leads to another. You can’t fight Vamp without fighting Fatman
Yeah, but you chose how to get there and there’s plenty of exploration and chances and incentive to leave the designated path.

Do you go in a box? or do you climb through a vent. When you get a new keycard do you backtrack and go get that weapon/ammo or do you keep going forward. etc etc.

Linear is FF13 you just walk through that mufukka and take in the story

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There was really no point in running around the empty world most mission you could drop off right next to the point of interest.

Wasn’t really an “open world” game like GTA or something.

The “open world” in mgsv just gave you lots more options on how to approach missions, and i think it works really well.

No other game has come close to giving you that kind of freedom since :ehh:

I agree with the logic, and love the game tbh, but disagree with the execution. Hitman and Dishonored (2 in particular) are two stealth-action games that allow you to interact with the sandboxes/approach the missions pretty much however you want, while still being linear games. They could have still had massive levels to approach/plan out without the nothing between them. It’s the epitome of the “open world is just an interactive level select” in a way

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I like both. :ld: I have a strong love for the OG Zelda formula, though. Can instantly return to something like Minish Cap or LTTP or Wind Waker and enjoy it start to finish.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah, but you chose how to get there and there’s plenty of exploration and chances and incentive to leave the designated path.

Do you go in a box? or do you climb through a vent. When you get a new keycard do you backtrack and go get that weapon/ammo or do you keep going forward. etc etc.

Linear is FF13 you just walk through that mufukka and take in the story

MGS is more wide linear.

If we use the example of the game in the OP Aonuma is describing the old zelda games as linear because you have to satisfy X to progress the game. Even if there’s multiple ways of doing X you still need to do it before you can move on.

In BoTW or some other open world games you can go anywhere and do anything you want. Old zelda while it seems open is gated through equipment, metal gear solid is story driven so your progression is always based on the last story beat. You can’t choose which order to progress the game yourself

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
also, i never understood the criticism of XIII being linear when X was the same way. Literally point A to point B

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I agree with the logic, and love the game tbh, but disagree with the execution. Hitman and Dishonored (2 in particular) are two stealth-action games that allow you to interact with the sandboxes/approach the missions pretty much however you want, while still being linear games. They could have still had massive levels to approach/plan out without the nothing between them. It’s the epitome of the “open world is just an interactive level select” in a way
Don’t disagree with much anything here.

I thought MGSV worked for what it was, and I absolutely loved Dishonored 2 :manny:

I don’t consider Dishonored “linear” tho.

Seems you guys are classifying them as if they are not open world then they are linear. For me a linear game doesn’t give you the choice that dishonored does.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
MGS is more wide linear.

If we use the example of the game in the OP Aonuma is describing the old zelda games as linear because you have to satisfy X to progress the game. Even if there’s multiple ways of doing X you still need to do it before you can move on.

In BoTW or some other open world games you can go anywhere and do anything you want. Old zelda while it seems open is gated through equipment, metal gear solid is story driven so your progression is always based on the last story beat. You can’t choose which order to progress the game yourself
Older zelda games gave you no choice in how to tackle things. There was only one way of doing X

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
FF 16 was linear and mid .FF 7 remake was linear and pure piff. It really depends nowadays