Hathaway

Someday, We'll All Be Free
Daps
Reppin
The Abyss
I don't know when I became like this. I grew up on Halo, the premiere 1st person shooter of our generation but as I got older and started playing games like The Witcher, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc, I fell in love with these 3rd person, customizable character styled games. It's the only type I'll play now.

I was playing CyberPunk for about 2 months, slowly grinding away at the story and I couldn't help but notice how I could never get immersed in the story or my character. They give me all of these customizable options for V, clothes, cybernetics, shyt that would really make your character look and feel how you wanted it to but I could never see him. I would feel like a clown buying and upgrading all this gear and for what? I could never see the reward of all that hard work I put in. I ended up tossing an otherwise decent game in the bushes because of that. It sits on the shelf to this day.

Bioware has spoiled a nikka. I love narrative games that allow you to make your character and shape his/her personality how you see fit. It ain't even gotta be narrative driven. I fukked with Ghost of Tsushima/Kena Bridge of Spirits/Horizon heavily because they were 3rd person and I could see what was going on with my character. Plus, these were just awesome games/stories.

I feel like if I'm bout to spend 60-70 hours role playing as a character, I need to be able to see my mf character; especially if the game is centered around leveling up your character and the gear. With such a huge emphasis on visual appeal, I need a visual of my character.

Thats why I'm so excited for shyt like Hogwarts, Forspoken, God of War, Pokemon too. Especially Hogwarts though. I'm really rooting for this game in particular because it hits every mark I personally look for in rpgs:

Customizable character
Hopefully a fully voiced character
Power Leveling
Gear Leveling?
Open World

Its looking like another game I'm about to drop 50 hours on.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
Honestly most of those first person rpgs have poor writing compared to the golden era CRPGs of the early/mid 00s. Something about actually investing time into building your character and your party. The throwback style isn't for everyone these days but Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 3 are some of the best roleplaying experiences of the last decade or so imo.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
It is what it is I don't even classify cyberpunk as a rpg it has elements of an RPG but clearly it has ALOT of others so it's not a traditional one :ld: I will give them a 10 on the gunplay :whoo: that shyt shines during shootouts sound design and the way the variety of guns is and the damage they inflict is crazy :pachaha:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I feel the same. I'm on/off playing Cyberpunk nowadays and I can feel that sentiment already seeping in for those exact reasons.

I think VR would be the only way that first person can get that level of immersion and rectify this. And hopefully in those games, when you look down, you'll be able to easily see your attire and person like u you can in real life. I mean, I reckon immersion is supposed to be the intent with first person games, so then they need to do better with making that a more 1:1 as real life as possible, cuz how it currently is, is not it! Also, I can stand that in FP games, it always make it feel like your character is a lot lower to the ground from how your world viewpoint is. Feels like I'm playing as a midget/dwarf or a small child.

Hathaway

Daps
Reppin
The Abyss
It is what it is I don't even classify cyberpunk as a rpg it has elements of an RPG but clearly it has ALOT of others so it's not a traditional one :ld: I will give them a 10 on the gunplay :whoo: that shyt shines during shootouts sound design and the way the variety of guns is and the damage they inflict is crazy :pachaha:

Now that I will admit, the shootouts are top tier.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I don’t think immersion is the term you are looking for.

Seems first person is inherently more “immersive” cause you are playing through the eyes of the character.

I do get what you are saying about being able to see character customizations. It’s always a disappointment to get some cool new gear and not even be able to see it.

I like both styles of games. Most important to me is player agency, as long as i fee like i’m running the show and making choices then perspective don’t matter much to me.

What I don’t like is games where my choices are unimportant/nonexistent. Where the action and experiences are dictated to me. Those games are not immersive at all, might as well watch a movie.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I dont like any first person games really with a few exceptions. Its an immediate turn off to me to hear.

A first person rpg, something that last 30+ hours is an instant no thank you. It took me two years+ to make peace with Cyberpunk being first person. Its why i ended up eventually liking Fallout cause i I could see my character, even if it looked janky as hell

I feel the same. I'm on/off playing Cyberpunk nowadays and I can feel that sentiment already seeping in for those exact reasons.

I think VR would be the only way that first person can get that level of immersion and rectify this. And hopefully in those games, when you look down, you'll be able to easily see your attire and person like u you can in real life. I mean, I reckon immersion is supposed to be the intent with first person games, so then they need to do better with making that a more 1:1 as real life as possible, cuz how it currently is, is not it! Also, I can stand that in FP games, it always make it feel like your character is a lot lower to the ground from how your world viewpoint is. Feels like I'm playing as a midget/dwarf or a small child.

Right, this.

I feel disembodied not like im actually in someones body. When I can’t feel my arms or legs, it doesn’t really feel like im part of something, i feel like a floating camera. Or like someone controlling a big robot looking through the top of its head.

Don’t even talk to me about platforming in a first person. Urgh

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Couldn't play Prey for this very reason. First person has to be done so well for me to give it 30 hours.

Only managed to play Oblivion 3 times in 3rd person.

Hathaway

Daps
Reppin
The Abyss
I dont like any first person games really with a few exceptions. Its an immediate turn off to me to hear.

A first person rpg, something that last 30+ hours is an instant no thank you. It took me two years+ to make with Cyberpunk being first person. Its why i ended up eventually liking Fallout cause i I could see my character, even if it looked janky as hell
I never played the fallout series. Is it really good or is it just overrated by Bethesda fan boys? Looking for a new series to dive into.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I never played the fallout series. Is it really good or is it just overrated by Bethesda fan boys? Looking for a new series to dive into.

Hard to say, they’re pretty unique. Theres not a lot of 3d RPG’s that give you that level of choice and freedom, which is what makes it good.

Also if you’ve played fallout 3 or new vegas back in the day it might make fallout 4 better or worse for you.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Couldn't play Prey for this very reason. First person has to be done so well for me to give it 30 hours.

Only managed to play Oblivion 3 times in 3rd person.
Prey is an amazing game. Very immersive, tight gameplay, interesting story.

Y’all really missing out with the FP hate :smh:

• Dap
Reactions: rdj

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY

Fallout is dope you missing out...:wow: but there's a wide change of options on fallout 4. Some people love it some people hate it I'm in the middle. Graphics is amazing, gunplay is fun and it feels like a wasteland but the story is idk... For me personally there's a character you meet that doesn't bend no matter what is presented to him it's frustrating.. also the settlement building is kinda repetitive:hhh: it's annoying at times cause they call for help too often...

Hathaway

Daps
Reppin
The Abyss
Fallout is dope you missing out...:wow: but there's a wide change of options on fallout 4. Some people love it some people hate it I'm in the middle. Graphics is amazing, gunplay is fun and it feels like a wasteland but the story is idk... For me personally there's a character you meet that doesn't bend no matter what is presented to him it's frustrating.. also the settlement building is kinda repetitive:hhh: it's annoying at times cause they call for help too often...
I know the series is old at this point. Does it still hold up in 2022 or is it too dated?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I disagree, Cyberpunk is the only first person game I never got into first person shooters other than playing people in golden eye local co op back in the day

my only problem with cyberpunk was the main story, the side quests were far more interesting and I liked how they lead into other unforeseen events like real life

but the main story was wack, and you played second fiddle to johnny silverhand basically living in his shadow, they hire keanu reeves but don't use him as the main character's voice, it's dumb, the main voice for V is trash, I don't know about the female because be females in RPGs, thats for them gender fluid nikkaz

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I know the series is old at this point. Does it still hold up in 2022 or is it too dated?

Depends if you never played Fallout 4 you should just try it...:ld: the graphics still holds up... But Bethesda being Bethesda needs a new engine for the new games on PS5 and the new Xbox concurrently... But since MS brought Bethesda we haven't seen the fruits of that endeavor yet... I don't want no excuses:ufdup: