20 Years Ago, He Got Game Was Released, Your Opinion Now?

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Before getting into marburys or even ais demeanor (i dont see them being malleable enough to be directed effectively in a film) , it woulda took out one of the more subtly powerful scenes of the movie...when jesus and jake see each other in that apt and jake walks out, jesus lookin down on him on some lil nikka shyt...thats was dope

Marbury and denzel damn near the same height....denzel may be taller than ai...that scene would have lost so much considering those dimensions

Then the end basketball game where jesus physically dominates him and dunks on him and shyt...ai or marbury would jus be running circles around an older tired man...shaking him up n all...it coulda been pulled off, but woulda been clearly less dramatic.

I wonder if shyt like that was considered before hand...spike is a slick and deliberate director

Was my fav film growing up...may still be my fav
I’m pretty sure Spike said he originally wanted Marbury to play the character since it essentially was based a lot on him. But he said Marbury and Iverson both failed the auditions terribly or something like that. And he said Kobe had just had that air ball fest against the Jazz and wanted to work on his game all that summer. Spike is also known for a lot of duck tales too though so :yeshrug:

That scene was unbelievable too. The crazy shyt though is that in the script Jesus is supposed to literally score every point and dominate as though Jake isn’t even on the court. But they just gave Ray Allen and Denzel the ball and let them play for real, assuming that’s what would happen (logically). Except Denzel said he wasn’t gonna just allow himself to get embarrassed like that and he was actually scoring those buckets on Ray for real lol.

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
I'd like to hear your opinions on why you think this
Only seen it once and that was a while ago, so I can't tell you everything. Mainly I remember thinking the dialogue of Rosario Dawson's character and big time Willie being cheesy as hell, and the ending was dumb as shyt.

FlimFlam

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m pretty sure Spike said he originally wanted Marbury to play the character since it essentially was based a lot on him. But he said Marbury and Iverson both failed the auditions terribly or something like that. And he said Kobe had just had that air ball fest against the Jazz and wanted to work on his game all that summer. Spike is also known for a lot of duck tales too though so :yeshrug:

That scene was unbelievable too. The crazy shyt though is that in the script Jesus is supposed to literally score every point and dominate as though Jake isn’t even on the court. But they just gave Ray Allen and Denzel the ball and let them play for real, assuming that’s what would happen (logically). Except Denzel said he wasn’t gonna just allow himself to get embarrassed like that and he was actually scoring those buckets on Ray for real lol.

Thats dope as hell...never knew that about the game now i wanna watch this shyt again

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
This and Above the Rim are my favorite basketball movies of all time. This is clearly the better film, but the nostalgia runs deep with ATR for me.

One of Spike's better films in the last 20 years. Still holds up as a depiction about the stresses of an all-american sports talent coming up in a hyper accelerated 24 hour sports culture that was just beginning to take off in that era. With that said, its still profoundly relevant subject matter, especially with all of the FBI/NCAA stuff in the news.

Facts. I can watch those 2 movies anytime, and never be bored with them.