2023 had Detroit’s lowest number of homicides in 57 year, 10% decrease in major cities

Burned Verses

Superstar
Daps

The city of Detroit finished 2023 with 252 homicides, the fewest recorded since 1966. The city also saw a 16% reduction in nonfatal shootings and a 34% reduction in carjackings a coalition of local, state and federal partners announced today.

”In 2023, many cities in the U.S. saw a reduction in crime as the Covid-era violence has begun to abate,” Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan. “What’s truly remarkable is that Detroit’s homicides dropped below pre-covid levels. I want to thank the men and women of the Detroit Police Department and all of the other partners in the law enforcement system that made this possible.” 252 homicides in 2023 were below the 261 homicides recorded in 2018 and are the lowest since Detroit experienced 232 homicides in 1966.

After three years of distressingly high levels, homicides in the US declined significantly across the board in 2023 – even as the public’s concerns about crime remained at its highest in over two decades.

In particular, the five biggest cities in the US – New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston and Phoenix – each saw homicides fall by over 10%, according to the latest data from those police departments.

Further, national data from the FBI covering January to September 2023 showed an 8.2% drop in all violent crime, including a 15.6% drop in murders, compared to the same period in 2022. These declines were seen in cities over 1 million people and those under 10,000, and across all four regional quadrants of the US. The full year of data won’t be released until this fall, but the trend is clear.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
anyone who doesn't think the pandemic contributed to a crime wave and antisocial behavior at this point is not a serious person in my opinion

:yeshrug:

still a lot of work to be done, but glad certain narratives can be laid to rest.

Detroit is actually one of America's greatest cities, I hope it comes back :wow: