[4/24/24] AEW Dynamite airing live from coast to coast: The era of Swerve begins, it’s his house and your rent is due

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
Somehow managed to avoid spoilers all day yesterday so watched this pretty fresh last night - a weirdly ass-backwards episode of Dynamite that did everything wrong, but somehow knocked it out the park.

Maybe Swerve not opening will make sense when Collision airs, but it felt weird that his first action as champ was an Eliminator match and not a promo. Not mad at the match at all... you can't just job Kyle out, but Swerve never looked in any danger - felt like Swerve hadn't taken the match seriously enough at the start and had to kick into 3rd gear to get it done, but felt like he still had a couple left for a proper challenger.

I can see why people wouldn't like the Willow celebration, but I loved every second of it. Those three are best when you ramp the cheese factor up to a million. Mercedes is doing exactly what I want her to be doing... probably can't fully reveal the heel until DoN, but she's definitely not a babyface even if the character "believes" she is. Torn on Stat turning - I love her, Willow and Stokely as a trio - but it makes too much sense to turn her with Mercedes.

Gauntlet match was just straight up weird... took me half of it to work out WTF was happening. I'm good with an Ospreay side-quest - I'm leaning more and more to not letting Wembley be a World Title coronation for Ospreay - either he's working the International belt and completely out of the picture or they give Swerve 4 months as babyface and then use the Wembley crowd to turn him heel by fukking over Ospreay which could be absolute flames if done right.

Ospreay doesn't NEED a belt IMO, eventually the belts are gonna need him... everyone knows he's (going to be) the TOP guy in the promotion, there's no need to rush him into the spot when there are other organic moments to have.

Moxley/Hobbs was weirdly dull. It was fine, but I don't think it did much for either guy or the belt. Callis pissing off every member of the Family except Take is gonna come back to bite him though. Ospreay, Aussie Open and Hobbs -> United Empire before too long. Hobbs in that Jeff Cobb enforcer role just feels right to me.

TK/EVPs shyt was just perfect, even down to giving the IWC Marks enough bs to expose themselves with the morning after. With this and the Mercedes stuff they're booking meta as fukk and it's fukking hilarious watching the Internet try to cope with it.

Probably one of the worst "wrestling" Dynamites in a while, but also one of the most entertaining. I don't want this from them every week, but once every few months to set fukkery in motion? fukk yeah.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Somehow managed to avoid spoilers all day yesterday so watched this pretty fresh last night - a weirdly ass-backwards episode of Dynamite that did everything wrong, but somehow knocked it out the park.

Maybe Swerve not opening will make sense when Collision airs, but it felt weird that his first action as champ was an Eliminator match and not a promo. Not mad at the match at all... you can't just job Kyle out, but Swerve never looked in any danger - felt like Swerve hadn't taken the match seriously enough at the start and had to kick into 3rd gear to get it done, but felt like he still had a couple left for a proper challenger.

I can see why people wouldn't like the Willow celebration, but I loved every second of it. Those three are best when you ramp the cheese factor up to a million. Mercedes is doing exactly what I want her to be doing... probably can't fully reveal the heel until DoN, but she's definitely not a babyface even if the character "believes" she is. Torn on Stat turning - I love her, Willow and Stokely as a trio - but it makes too much sense to turn her with Mercedes.

Gauntlet match was just straight up weird... took me half of it to work out WTF was happening. I'm good with an Ospreay side-quest - I'm leaning more and more to not letting Wembley be a World Title coronation for Ospreay - either he's working the International belt and completely out of the picture or they give Swerve 4 months as babyface and then use the Wembley crowd to turn him heel by fukking over Ospreay which could be absolute flames if done right.

Ospreay doesn't NEED a belt IMO, eventually the belts are gonna need him... everyone knows he's (going to be) the TOP guy in the promotion, there's no need to rush him into the spot when there are other organic moments to have.

Moxley/Hobbs was weirdly dull. It was fine, but I don't think it did much for either guy or the belt. Callis pissing off every member of the Family except Take is gonna come back to bite him though. Ospreay, Aussie Open and Hobbs -> United Empire before too long. Hobbs in that Jeff Cobb enforcer role just feels right to me.

TK/EVPs shyt was just perfect, even down to giving the IWC Marks enough bs to expose themselves with the morning after. With this and the Mercedes stuff they're booking meta as fukk and it's fukking hilarious watching the Internet try to cope with it.

Probably one of the worst "wrestling" Dynamites in a while, but also one of the most entertaining. I don't want this from them every week, but once every few months to set fukkery in motion? fukk yeah.
Swerve not getting a promo would have been a lot more acceptable had they at least announced on Dynamite that he would be talking on Saturday. At minimum it should have been announced on Dynamite and Swerve given a short amount of promo time after the match. Why they elected to announce his promo segment on social media makes no sense. Of course, this all goes back to what I've said before, AEW needs to learn how to promote/advertise their shyt. YOu can't just rely on social media to do it.

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
Swerve not getting a promo would have been a lot more acceptable had they at least announced on Dynamite that he would be talking on Saturday. At minimum it should have been announced on Dynamite and Swerve given a short amount of promo time after the match. Why they elected to announce his promo segment on social media makes no sense. Of course, this all goes back to what I've said before, AEW needs to learn how to promote/advertise their shyt. YOu can't just rely on social media to do it.

Yeah, would've all been gravy if they'd led the show with a quick recap of the win and announced that there is a Daily's Place Homecoming Celebration booked for him on Saturday but he's too focused on the challenge from Kyle tonight.

They've at least got a lot of plates spinning at the moment which is a good thing.