45% of Americans pay no federal income tax

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Many Americans don’t have to worry about giving Uncle Sam part of their hard-earned cash for their income taxes this year.

An estimated 45.3% of American households — roughly 77.5 million — will pay no federal individual income tax, according to data for the 2015 tax year from the Tax Policy Center, a nonpartisan Washington-based research group. (Note that this does not necessarily mean they won’t owe their states income tax.)

Roughly half pay no federal income tax because they have no taxable income, and the other roughly half get enough tax breaks to erase their tax liability, explains Roberton Williams, a senior fellow at the Tax Policy Center.

MW-EG288_income_20160224151137_MG.jpg

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high

Many Americans don’t have to worry about giving Uncle Sam part of their hard-earned cash for their income taxes this year.

An estimated 45.3% of American households — roughly 77.5 million — will pay no federal individual income tax, according to data for the 2015 tax year from the Tax Policy Center, a nonpartisan Washington-based research group. (Note that this does not necessarily mean they won’t owe their states income tax.)

Roughly half pay no federal income tax because they have no taxable income, and the other roughly half get enough tax breaks to erase their tax liability, explains Roberton Williams, a senior fellow at the Tax Policy Center.

MW-EG288_income_20160224151137_MG.jpg

This is true.

That's why I don't get why ppl say they're paying too much in taxes. Most people don't pay shyt.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Maybe its because the people complaining are the people paying.

Maybe...

There are a lot of poor Republicans that complain about this and they don't pay anything. I know some personally, and demographically, we can assume that many registered Republicans fit this description as well.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They don't make enough to pay federal taxes.

:yeshrug:

But they do pay a large percentage of their income in payroll taxes, state and local taxes. Here is a better graph that takes into account Federal, State and local taxes as a percentage of total income.

total-tax-bill-income.jpg