70's Soul/R&B Music Cannot Be Replicated

Laidbackman

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
No, you definitely can replicate that.

I also don't understand where you guys are getting that "this generation has zero talent" from. The issue is that this kind of music isn't en vogue anymore. If the general populace, as a collective, wants 70s Soul / R&B to return, it'd be back in a flash.
You may have a point here:ohhh:

Hathaway

Someday, We'll All Be Free
Daps
Reppin
The Abyss
D'Angelo recorded Black Messiah completely analog with no plug-ins.

I go back and listen to it every once and again full blast to experience the last of the modern interpretations of 70s production.
That album is fantastic. But it doesn't capture the magic of that era. Recording completely in analog doesn't equate to that era solely.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child

I also don't understand where you guys are getting that "this generation has zero talent" from. The issue is that this kind of music isn't en vogue anymore. If the general populace, as a collective, wants 70s Soul / R&B to return, it'd be back in a flash.
There’s so much talent in our community. The difference now is a lot of what we hearing is from folk who ain’t never grow up singing in the church and kids don’t play instruments like they used to

Hathaway

Daps
Reppin
The Abyss
I dont fully agree, but I see what you mean. I argue the lack of artist development is to blame

Artists now a days aren't getting the same level of mentoring to really grow and improve musically. Everything is more DIY, which is good for creative freedom but the bad thing is they don't get a industry vet that can show them the ropes.

Things could change but we'll just have to see
This is only part of the issue. I agree with you. I also think black people not being raised in the church, around that soulful, emotional singing has also played a role in this stale, soulless version of r&b we have now.

Lonj

Superstar
Daps

Naw. The kids is bumping old school music now more than ever and we got the receipts to prove it. They'd embrace the classic sound but the talent ain't there. Modern music is so flabby we got cac harlow and country music killing the game. You heard Sza sing live? Sounds like someone is asphyxiating a cat.

Hathaway

Daps
Reppin
The Abyss
What's the most current album that captures the magic?
I won't pretend to have knowledge of every r&b album that drops but the closest I've heard that tries to capture it is October Londons Rebirth of Marvin album. Silk Sonics album tries to get it too but they fall short as well.

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
There is some decent new R&B, but very few can recreate that sound. Kids today don’t play in the band/orchestra at school like they used to, so they’re missing out on the orchestral/jazz skills. They also don’t go to church like they used to, so they’re missing the spiritual/soulful element.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
Investing in that kind of talent is what record labels should have BEEN doing. It takes a lot to do that I'm sure.

Much easier to go with the mass produced bullcrap they put out now...

Half these jokers can't sing or rap without studio assistance

I think the business side of music has been trying to cut costs for decades and once computers came into the mix in the '80s studio musicians started getting the boot.

No more saxophone and trumpet players, and so on, etc... Who needs a drummer when you can program the beats? I feel like you had to be a high level composer to produce a song with real musicians back then.