96 Camaro V6 to V8 build "Found out what the issue was"

1ncognegro

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#SidenikkaGang 804 VA
No audio installation yet but its coming. Wanted to get a good exhaust done to keep my hp up and stop dragging my bama ass muffler job. I plan on taking it to the drag strip within the next couple of weeks to see how it rides under stress before i dyno and get an exact number of horse power is going to the wheels. Ive put over 200 miles on the motor so far and its riding good. Had a couple of oil leaks i had to take care of and cleaned up some of the wiring. Its coming along great. Ill have a couple of vids up this weekend. Maybe a burnout or two. Heres some pics of the current progress. I still need to get it painted and im also planning on installing a turbo kit next year
tumblr_o976vgAt5b1sokhquo1_250.jpg
tumblr_o976vgAt5b1sokhquo2_250.jpg
tumblr_o976vgAt5b1sokhquo3_250.jpg
tumblr_o976vgAt5b1sokhquo8_250.jpg
tumblr_o976vgAt5b1sokhquo4_250.jpg
tumblr_o976vgAt5b1sokhquo6_250.jpg
tumblr_o976vgAt5b1sokhquo7_250.jpg
tumblr_o976vgAt5b1sokhquo8_250.jpg
tumblr_o976vgAt5b1sokhquo9_250.jpg

Last edited:

1ncognegro

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#SidenikkaGang 804 VA
Getting the car ready for test and tune at the local drag strip on the 15th of July. Ive been daily driving the car to get some miles on the motor and find any adjustments that needs to be made and then i found this
tumblr_o9v335o92U1sokhquo9_250.jpg
tumblr_o9v335o92U1sokhquo8_250.jpg

I started to notice when driving the car a good while after the engine heats up I started to hear a ticking noise under the valve cover. My first thought was its just valve lash. Nope. Turns out a rocker arm got completely thrashed. Called Comp Cam who makes the rocker arm to find out how this could have happened. Turns out I have self aligning rocker arms and they are not compatible with the guideplates i have. Now i gotta buy a whole new set of rocker arms:mjcry:

Also installed my exhaust I got from a buddy who drag races in Michigan for the low low. Its used but my engine needs a performance exhaust so fukk it
tumblr_o9v335o92U1sokhquo1_250.jpg

Until i see this
tumblr_o9v335o92U1sokhquo5_250.jpg

I can only install half of it because of a suspension bar in the rear of the vehicle:mjcry::mjcry:
Now i got to get the rear half of the exhaust custom made at a exhaust shop. I need to get all this shyt done before the 15th with bills and other shyt. Gonna have to make some moves:patrice:

1ncognegro

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#SidenikkaGang 804 VA
:merchant: Damn..did you check it to make sure or you just said fukk it you'll get to it later?
I really dont know for sure if thats the issue but something is definitely wrong and the motor has to come out. Im thinking the oil pick up tube came off and didnt pull any oil into the bearings and one overheated and spun

1ncognegro

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#SidenikkaGang 804 VA
So after balling up in the fetal position and crying myself to sleep im here at work researching and crunching numbers. If my theory is correct im thinking my oil pump drive took a shyt or came apart in the pan which wasnt lubricating my bearings causing one to fail. I plan on replacing all bearings to be safe. Only way to find out is to drop the oil pan and see. Only problem with these cars is you have to drop the whole damn motor out of the car. Ill start tear down in two weeks and pray the damage is minimal. At the track I spoke to some old heads and they told me not to get discouraged. You want to go fast you gotta pay to play and component failure happens easier than you think building a high powered car. I understood but internally I had the:francis: face.

New parts list

tumblr_oaf2uuDaxz1sokhquo1_400.jpg
GasBuddy.gif

Last edited:

1ncognegro

All Star
Daps
Reppin
#SidenikkaGang 804 VA
Found out why I spun a bearing when I went to the drag strip. Turns out the oil pump i purchased was not the correct one. I installed what is called a high volume oil pump which is not stock like i asked the nikka from napa to get me. It pulls 25% more oil through the motor. The issue is with a stock oil pan the pump pulls too much oil into the top of the motor at high rpms ie drag racing:francis: leaves the crank bearings with not enough oil for lubrication. They heat up and the bearings go:why:

I have two options. Install the correct oil pump or get a aftermarket oil pan with a higher oil capacity. I have to remove the oil pan anyway to replace all the bearings so im just going to install a standard volume oil pump which is cheaper. Oil pump is 38 bucks a high capacity oil pan is 220....fukk that. Thursday is the scheduled day for the repair. Hopefully the crank isnt scared badly and minimum damage was done. Its crazy how one part can fukk a bunch of shyt up and cost you money. You gotta pay to play. Hopefully im back turning heads and stunt'n by next weekend. Hopefully :to:

Last edited: