A year after opening 600 rooms to L.A.’s unhoused, the Cecil Hotel is still mostly empty. Here’s why

El_Mero_Mero

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Looks like the Waldorf Astoria compared to some of the spots I've stayed in. Entitlement is a motherfukker.
I would have dapped you, but I just got back from The Bushes not so long ago. Still, I fully understand what you're saying.
Not reading all that. But the reason is because you can’t do dope in there
A lot of homeless in New York don't want to go into shelters because they'll be forced to follow rules.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Yea I’m gonna call absolute bullshyt that you can wander to some tent city and 4 of 10 of those hobos are going to work 40 hours a week. But hey some rando on twitter said so, so must be true
my bad for not posting an additional source.

40% of homeless people in the US have full-time jobs.​

November 20, 2022 8:48 am by IWB

via uchicago.edu:
More than half of people residing in homeless shelters in the United States had formal earnings in the same year they were homeless, according to a new study that deepens understanding of housing insecurity in the U.S.

Among unhoused individuals who were not in shelters, about 40% had earnings from formal employment. The findings contrast with common perceptions and stereotypes about people who are homeless—suggesting that even consistent work isn’t enough to help Americans facing skyrocketing housing costs.

Led by Prof. Bruce D. Meyer, a preeminent scholar of U.S. poverty, the research offers the first highly accurate snapshot of those experiencing homelessness across the country and examines factors such as labor market attachment, geographic mobility, earnings, population characteristics and safety net usage.

“People experiencing homelessness are among the most deprived individuals in the United States, yet they are neglected in official poverty statistics and other surveys,” said Meyer, the McCormick Foundation Professor at Harris Public Policy. “As a result, policymakers and others interested in understanding this overlooked and at-risk population have never had complete or reliable information from which to guide decision-making until now.”

The new study is the first in a series of planned reports on homelessness from the Comprehensive Income Dataset (CID) Project, an effort to build the most accurate dataset on economic well-being ever created for the United States. To better understand the homeless population specifically, the researchers constructed an unprecedented dataset—a census of the entire U.S. homeless population in 2010 linked with individual-level administrative data on government benefits and tax records

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas

stellarstella

Makes me wonder how I keep from going under
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Jungle - Marin City
This is some bullshyt. The Housing Authority can EASILY subcontract housing inspectors if they're understaffed and I know, from personal and professional experience, one inspector could knock-out inspecting every unit in that building in 1-2 weeks.

I've done it several times throughout my career.

:martin:

They don’t want to do that. They’d rather steal/ embezzle the money. They could also know they are gonna fail inspection and just weasel out of it to keep the money from HUD coming…Marin Housing does both of these things…

+300 mil every year and somehow there’s never any money for fixing these dilapidated housing units… I could tell you more :sas2:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
RENO, Nevada
Yep. As I thought. Absolute pulled that 40% straight out their ass.

2 fukking percent have a full time job in Nevada. Far cry from 40 :dead:
giphy.webp

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
that place would have me hearing voices in my head, imagine what it does to scizos:patrice:

Daps
Reppin
RENO, Nevada
that place would have me hearing voices in my head, imagine what it does to scizos:patrice:
5 dudes across from my building

homeless .. i treat them with respect ..

all have said homeless shelters are more dangerous than the street... at least here

paid one of em to say "hi" to someone i had a problem with..

they have their purpose

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Yea I’m gonna call absolute bullshyt that you can wander to some tent city and 4 of 10 of those hobos are going to work 40 hours a week. But hey some rando on twitter said so, so must be true

According to SAMHSA, 38% of homeless people abused alcohol while 26% abused other drugs.

This means 62% don't abuse alcohol and 74% don't abuse any other drugs.

As far as the amount of homeless people that work, full-time or otherwise....