A YU-GI-OH! thread on the Coli?

True Sinister

Banned
Daps
I WAS a Yu-gi-oh fan. I was not one when Yu-gi-oh first came out. I remember first reading about it in video game magazines when I was in middle school. I always saw advertisements for the gbc game (I think it was called dark duel stories) and forbidden memories. I had been watching kids wb on KTLA 5 since the Batman the animated series, Animaniacs, and pinky in the brain days. The first time I remember watching a Yu gi oh episode was when they had the second Kaiba vs Yugi duel when Kaiba threatened to kill itself to win.

It seemed that by the time I had gotten to high school that literally everyone had gotten into the card game. People would steal the cards from each other. I remember dealers at the school with countless cards in their folders. What's funny is despite everyone having bought the original starter decks (which were absolute garbage) that came with a manual that clearly explained the rules (except for the one about hand size) nobody (including myself) seemed to know the rules. People were summoning high level monsters without sacrificing. Everyone also kept summoning monsters in face up defense mode which to this day iirc was never allowed in the real game) by the time battle city started airing in the us everyone started playing by the real rules. (well not for the God cards. The original God cards were unplayable officially and there were no consensus rules for how they were used)

The first Yu-gi-oh game that actually played by the rules was eternal duelist soul. The sequel to that which was far superior was worldwide edition (stairway to the destined duel). This game was the one game I played on my GBA more than anything (even more than Super Mario and those Dragon Ball Z action rpgs combined and more than Street fighter alpha 3). I wouldn't just play it in school I would play it in class. Just a few short years ago I bought it again at a local swap meet and bought a DS just to play it.

With Forbidden Memories I remember being distinctly disappointed that such a terrible game came on such better hardware. All the monsters besides Exodia had no effects. Your deck had to be exactly 40 cards. There were always exactly 5 cards in your hand every turn. There was no polymerization card and cards just magically fused together. All the iconic cards in the game were like 999,999 star chips and the most you could win from a single duel was 5. I did however like the music and the 3d models and battle sequences. The story was really weird and random...especially Kaiba having the Millennium rod. I absolutely used a game shark to get all the good cards.

When you beat Forbidden memories you got a code at the end that you are supposed to input in an upcoming PS2 game called duelists of the roses. I can definitely say DOTR was superior to FM. Monsters have effects now (but not quite what they really should be). It looked and sounded better than FM. There were actually useful magic (I mean spell) and trap cards. Still wanted a console game with TGC (well maybe OGC) rules.

I bought Dawn of Destiny the day it came out. Something about it was just unbearable. Maybe it was that the structure of the single player mode was so boring compared to other games. There was no inputting the codes in from your cards the way you could in worldwide edition. They didn't have any kind of booster packs. You just picked from a statue of one of the 3 Egyptian God Cards (which don't appear as cards). There is no actual story mode either. You just duel people. I turned that shyt back to Gamestop so fast.

I reluctantly got into GX...a little bit. I saw maybe about a season. The GX tag force came for PSP . I liked the rpg walk around elements (that reminded me of Sacred cards which I despise intensely because of the dueling). It very closely followed the anime. I spent heavy time with it. Loved it but it would have much preferred a similar game based on DM and not GX.

When I bought a DS I went on amazon to find a copy of Nightmare Troubadour. This became my replacement for Worldwide edition. Actually I would keep both in my DS simultaneously. I went out of my way to make decks that could be made in both games. I loved the way the 3D models appeared over the card. The special sequences when certain monsters are summoned. The story. The card shop. The God cards. Saving deck recipes.

The last game I played was Legacy of the duelist. The good thing is that there are so many cards. The ban list doesn't apply to the single player mode. Unfortunately certain new rules apply. First player doesn't get to draw on their first turn anymore. Field spells don't get rid of the opponent's field spell now 2 players can have their own field spell at the same time. Many cards are different now and I mean virtually useless thanks to this errata bullshyt.

I still wish they would make my perfect ideal of what the perfect Yu-gi-oh game should be by putting together certain aspects of games that already exist
-I want a game that fully focuses on DM (like the first several games)
-I want the player to be able to walk around similar to tag force and stuff
-I want American voices like the Power of chaos games, duel links, and the Japanese tag force games
-online play like Legacy of the duelist
-team duels like the tag force games
-special animations for specific cards like duel links or even Forbidden memories
-a password machine that just gives me a free copy of a card for putting in the code
-music from the cartoon
-the walk around portions being in full 3d
-3d models over the cards like NT
-battle sequences like duelist of the roses
-system link multiplayer like dawn of destiny
-split screen multiplayer like forbidden memories
-Noah, Gozabura, and the big 5 like NT
-Dartz and his guys from from that Atlantis arc
-cards being played how they were originally intended (especially crush card, Chaos emperor dragon, Sangan)
-you actually see and hear the duelists playing cards like the Tag force games
-full 40 card and up decks and a full field
-the ability to set life points in exhibition matches
-real cutscenes and not just text motion comics bs
-for characters to actually be dressed correctly (no battle city looking Kaiba in the Duelist Kingdom arc)

I don't think this would happen...but it pisses me off that I know all of this is possible.

The D-List Vet

Being in a recommendation system.
Daps
Reppin
Coli.
fan of the original anime...but never got into the card or video game...don't even know how to play :heh:

this by far is one of the best scenes in the entire series

:dead:

years ago when i started getting into anime i went back and watched this shyt in the sub version and the music is :ohhh:

Start around 3:30 made me go :picard: at how shytty our dub music is of yugioh

True Sinister

Banned
Daps
:russ: @True Sinister some of the biggest youtubers for yugioh are black just clicked on that vid someone linked and the recommended vid is a breh
Absolutely

Yu-gi-oh absolutely hit with black people in a way that something like Magic the gathering (which was introduced to me by my white friend) didn't.

It's marketed in the US to be a kid's game but most people into it are like 20s if not 30s

Prince Luchini

Stay dolo so thorough
Daps
Yugioh was my shyt back in the day I only watched the anime tho

I think its one of the few anime that has alot of legendary moments from it other than DBZ imo

Kaiba was soo extra:mjlol: the shyt he would do to win a children's card game

Just saw the new movie that dropped for it recently its really good :ehh:

True Sinister

Banned
Daps

I think its one of the few anime that has alot of legendary moments from it other than DBZ imo

I saw it too

Almost nobody else was in the theater

The D-List Vet

Being in a recommendation system.
Daps
Reppin
Coli.

Kabia was just like vegeta... a hater... both of them did fukk shyt to get a cheap win over the MC... Kabia was going to kill himself and Vegeta had to let himself be taken over to get a power boost... and both goku and Yugi let them win when they could have beat them

True Sinister

Banned
Daps
Kabia was just like vegeta... a hater... both of them did fukk shyt to get a cheap win over the MC... Kabia was going to kill himself and Vegeta had to let himself be taken over to get a power boost... and both goku and Yugi let them win when they could have beat them
Goku was naive enough to believe Vegeta would fight Buu with him. Goku could easily beat Vegeta and Buu at SS3

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@True Sinister you ever play ygo pro?
I was gonna do a yu-gi-oh video game thread, but this will do.
I put my nephew on the game:wow:
Now we dont battle anymore because his pendulum shyt is ridiculous:hhh:
I can deal with synchro, exceed, fusion, but the pendulum is:damn:

I just finish yugioh capsule monster on the ps2, it has the worst replayblity of any yugioh game I played :beli: