Absolut Madness, DDTP, Hobo, Vonteff: DC Streetwear Brands of the 90s

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
Remembering Madness Connection

While walking past L.A. Nails at 3119 Georgia Avenue, it’s hard to imagine that it was once the location of Madness Connection — a pioneering clothing store established in 1984. The store created the blueprint for a multimillion dollar network of D.C. fashion storefronts across the city that sold go-go mixtapes and concert tickets. It later moved across the street to 3120 Georgia. It was among the first to sell monogrammed hats and T-shirts emblazoned with a coveted logo. Tyrone Johnson, one of the founders, noted that the Madness line took off when the go-go band EU (Experience Unlimited) wore Madness hats in their 1989 “Da Butt” video.

For much of the 1990s and early 2000s, the typical go-go uniform consisted of expensive T-shirts and sweat suits with embroidered logos made by neighborhood-based and black-owned companies. The Washington urban fashion industry became established as an offshoot of go-go in the early 1980s, starting with the Madness Connection on Georgia Avenue.

The store was the place to buy whatever was in style, from colorful headbands in 1991 or lanyard key ring holders in 1996 to popular T-shirts with the Madness logo.

Madness was known to start city-wide trends. In 1987, the store successfully marketed the “Summer Madness” T-shirts that became ubiquitous in black neighborhoods. The following summer belonged to Madness’s white baseball caps with multicolored pastel letters. Area go-go bands helped popularize the caps and T-shirts by wearing them onstage.

The successful business came to an end in 1996 after owner Eddie Van pleading guilty in a case in which he was accused of selling crack to a Drug Enforcement Administration informer:snoop:. As part of the plea bargain, Van also agreed to turn over to the federal government the building at Georgia Avenue and Kenyon Street that housed the Madness Connection.

enhanced-8864-1447347027-5.jpg

looking back, all the different brands that permeated the DMV area were pretty impressive. we had our own retail supply chain and developed brands that people were fukking with.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
what was the name of that one brand everyone turned on because we found out it was asian owned? visionz? or something like that

edit: always saw solbiato and alldaz as more PG than DC, not sure if that's accurate

what about mchunu? :ohhh: completely forgot about them

in high school EVERYONE wanted to start their own clothing line or play drums :russ: what a weird local culture

DaPresident

Miami Hurricanes football fan...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Miami Hurricanes,Dallas Cowboys, St. John's, DMV
When I first moved to DC as a 14 year old, I was like WTH are these cats wearing??

Why they not wearing Rocawear, Sean John, etc that was mainstream popular at the time?

Then I got older and understood what was going on...they were being "stylish" but supporting true black business...wish this stuff was still popping nowadays

IVS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
In the sky
I thought it was called Universal Madness. I remember when I came down to the DMV for school, and I met all the PG, DC, MoCo folks. I was already braced for the gogo, but i had no clue they were dressing in their own brands and rocking some other sh!t. Shirts with cut off sleeves and headbands. Tying the top of the hoodie and leaving the rest unzipped and open..like stereotypical vatos wear shirts. LMAO! I would be laughing at them. My roommate was from out PG too. I was like what's all this weird sh!t y'all got going on. Then I found out how expensive all those ugly ass tacky clothes were. SMH!

I'll give y'all credit for doing and creating y'all own sh!t tho.

YamakaSmacker

Banned
Daps
Not black owned. They probably took more money out the hood than the Chinese carry out
those absolut madness lanyards were the shyt in middle school.

i just pulled that picture from somewhere else...but curious, why not?

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
10903735_788806757869384_45334392_n.jpg

tumblr_nczo8uYgfy1tfs4r2o1_1280.jpg

12501575_1562743084055365_770331073_n.jpg

the long sleeve DDTP shirts were fire to me. I think the first shirt I bought with my own money was a long sleeved Taj Mahal DDTP tee shirt from Waldorf. came back to VA rocking the first day of school....nikkas was like :gladbron:"where you get that from?"