Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
How US students get a university degree for free in Germany

How US students get a university degree for free in Germany - BBC News

While the cost of college education in the US has reached record highs, Germany has abandoned tuition fees altogether for German and international students alike. An increasing number of Americans are taking advantage and saving tens of thousands of dollars to get their degrees.

In a kitchen in rural South Carolina one night, Hunter Bliss told his mother he wanted to apply to university in Germany. Amy Hall chuckled, dismissed it, and told him he could go if he got in.

"When he got accepted I burst into tears," says Amy, a single mother. "I was happy but also scared to let him go that far away from home."

Across the US parents are preparing for their children to leave the nest this summer, but not many send them 4,800 miles (7,700km) away - or to a continent that no family member has ever set foot in.

Yet the appeal of a good education, and one that doesn't cost anything, was hard for Hunter and Amy to ignore.

"For him to stay here in the US was going to be very costly," says Amy. "We would have had to get federal loans and student loans because he has a very fit mind and great goals."

More than 4,600 US students are fully enrolled at Germany universities, an increase of 20% over three years. At the same time, the total student debt in the US has reached $1.3 trillion (£850 billion).

Each semester, Hunter pays a fee of €111 ($120) to the Technical University of Munich (TUM), one of the most highly regarded universities in Europe, to get his degree in physics.

Included in that fee is a public transportation ticket that enables Hunter to travel freely around Munich.

Health insurance for students in Germany is €80 ($87) a month, much less than what Amy would have had to pay in the US to add him to her plan.

"The healthcare gives her peace of mind," says Hunter. "Saving money of course is fantastic for her because she can actually afford this without any loans."

To cover rent, mandatory health insurance and other expenses, Hunter's mother sends him between $6,000-7,000 each year.

At his nearest school back home, the University of South Carolina, that amount would not have covered the tuition fees. Even with scholarships, that would have totalled about $10,000 a year. Housing, books and living expenses would make that number much higher.

The simple maths made Hunter's job of convincing his mother easy.

"You have to pay for my college, mom - do you want to pay this much or this much?"

The financial advantages of studying in Germany have not been lost on other US students. Katherine Burlingame decided to get her Master's degree at a university in the East German town of Cottbus.

A graduate of Pennsylvania State University, Katherine spent less than €500 ($570) a month in Cottbus, which included housing, transportation and healthcare. On top of that she received a monthly scholarship by the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Council) of €750 ($815) which more than covered her costs.

I'm seriously considering this. Stack up money this year...then go over there and get a master's in EE or something. :jbhmm:

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
i still think america has some good college deals, especially if you're poor or lower middle class. between pell grants, working 15 hrs a week part time and going to a good public school in your state, you can easily graduate debt free.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Getting to filet foreign women is always a treat and your odds of getting murdered or arrested by the police is decreased.

Just remember most Europeans would rather have an American degree.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My ex's older brother went to Finland for free.
If you can do it, definitely do it. There is no downside.
Plus, you'll likely master a second language within a year of going there.

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
at Munich Technical University

Courses in English

Master's degrees completely taught in English. Proof of German language proficiency is not required:

Aerospace Engineering (TUM Asia) (Master)
Biomedical Computing (BMC) (Master)
Cartography (Master)
ClimaDesign (Master)
Communications Engineering (Master)
Computational Mechanics (with Elite graduate program) (Master)
Computational Science and Engineering (with Elite graduate program) (Master)
Consumer Affairs (Master)
Environmental Engineering (Master)
ESPACE-Earth Oriented Space Science and Technology (Master)
Green Electronics (TUM Asia) (Master)
Horticultural Science (Master)
Industrial Chemistry (TUM Asia) (Master)
Informatik: Games Engineering (Master)
Integrated Circuit Design (TUM Asia) (Master)
Intellectual Property and Competition Law (Executive) (Master)
Land Management and Land Tenure (Executive) (Master)
Life Science Economics and Policy (Master)
MBA (Executive) - field of study: Business & IT (Master)
MBA (Executive) - field of study: Innovation and Business Creation (Master)
Medical Life Science and Technology (PhD program) (PhD)
Nutrition and Biomedicine (Master)
Physics (Applied and Engineering Physics) (Master)
Power Engineering (Master)
Power Systems and Energy Management (Master)
Radiation Biology (Master)
Research on Teaching and Learning (Master)
Sustainable Resource Management (Master)
Technology Management (Elite graduate program) (Honours Degree)
Transport and Logistics (TUM Asia) (Master)
Transportation Systems (Master)

the MBA and TUM Asia programs aren't free....everything else is

i'm looking at the Communications Engineering program like
Larry+David+stare.gif
'

curriculum includes possible internship at BMW & Benz.....

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
This would be great to look into. I think this would be great for graduate school as well. Man those Europeans are so ahead of us.

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
Most Americans who study in Germany are working towards a master's degree. Hunter Bliss is fluent in German and works as a translator. This is the first time I have read of an American studying for a bachelor's degree. Hunter attended one the best public high schools in South Carolina. College in the US is expensive for him because both of his parents have high incomes.

The reason European countries can offer free universities is that only the top students can attend. They don't pretend that everyone is college material. Also they cut out a lot of the extras that American universities have.