Daps
Hrmm i should be done with my geo atics engineering degree next summer

Looks like ill be up in germany on that cartography tip nxt winter

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Would love to do Engineering there.
Would need to finish Engineering Physics here though and that might take too long.

ski

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Most Americans who study in Germany are working towards a master's degree. Hunter Bliss is fluent in German and works as a translator. This is the first time I have read of an American studying for a bachelor's degree. Hunter attended one the best public high schools in South Carolina. College in the US is expensive for him because both of his parents have high incomes.

The reason European countries can offer free universities is that only the top students can attend. They don't pretend that everyone is college material. Also they cut out a lot of the extras that American universities have.

2nd time l have seen this, can you explain that?

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Wouldn't it make sense for someone to have the balls to start a non profit college funded by government grants and private donations. Rich people give billions to charity each year. That's enough to fund a lot of schools. I mean its not that hard.

And the only reason why schools charge so much for tuition is because the government gives out student loans no questions asked. A kid doesn't have established credit but will be given what essentially amounts to a home loan. :mindblown: A back asswards way of thinking if you ask me.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Most Americans who study in Germany are working towards a master's degree. Hunter Bliss is fluent in German and works as a translator. This is the first time I have read of an American studying for a bachelor's degree. Hunter attended one the best public high schools in South Carolina. College in the US is expensive for him because both of his parents have high incomes.

The reason European countries can offer free universities is that only the top students can attend. They don't pretend that everyone is college material. Also they cut out a lot of the extras that American universities have.

Wrong, or at least a very faulty generalization.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Correct us breh. Why are they free?

Because in general Europeans believe education is a right (not a product) and thus that the government has a duty towards its citizens to make education as cheap as possible. Now colleges are hardly ever totally "free", but are extremely cheap (will likely always be anywhere from 100e to like 500e per academic year in France if I remember correctly) and scholarships are widely available for people whose parents have lower incomes. State subsidies from the state to universities allow that.

You also have elite universities, "Hautes Ecoles" and what not that are far more expensive. But scholarships exist for those too. In general I woudl say that scholarships are not linked to the fact that you are a good student or not (obviously, it doesn't hurt your case) because the whole point of university on continental Europe is to give a chance to everyone (obviously you need to at least finish HS first).

So saying "The reason European countries can offer free universities is that only the top students can attend" is wrong. I spent 4 years in university in France and I know damn well it's not only "top students" :dead:

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

-PAXP-deijE.gif