Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
wall of text. Fair warning.

Im not gonna lie. When I was young, it was the fact that there was so much gore and nudity in it.

Then I got older and realized that the japanese were telling these really compelling stories that dealt with real life or mature themes over these long arcs that made you think about more than buying toys.

Meanwhile we were being force fed with cartoons that only served to make you want toys. So much that the FCC complained and they started giving these "Words of Wisdom" or whatever at the end of cartoons so it wasn't mindless violence used to shill toys to the youth.

American cartoons were basically soap operas for kids. Instead of selling cleaning products, makeup and healthcare shyt, it made us want toys.

Not to mention I grew up on Comics and Doctor Who, so the whole "Multiple Episodes for a Story" shyt wasn't new to me.

Anime was a far cry from Heroes meet same old villain and henchmen, heroes beat villain, everybody laughs at the camera, show over.

"Grown" american audiences really didn't latch on to that type of televised serial storytelling til Buffy came out. Look around today. It's an INCREDIBLY effective style of storytelling.

So after DBZ and Sailor Moon came with it, then Toonami and DBZ+Gundam Wing? A whole lot of us were hooked on it.

Despite it being cartoons.

Solano707

The Coli's dirty Afro-Mexicano
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California (Live in GA)
I was with anime as far as i can remember. I use to live in the bay, and we would always go to china town to buy shyt. I scooped up my first dbz book there. I think, the first time I was exposed to anime, i must have been like 8 or 9... i'm 34 now :banderas: and I still watch and keep up with on the daily. it's one of those things that you love.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
This in middle school:wow:

10830-dragon-ball-z-dragon-ball-z-1jpg-89c260_1280w.jpg

shyt had the whole hood on smash. Wed be outside playing football or basketball, but when 5pm hit and DBZ came on we all literally ran in the house to see Goku give Frieza that work :blessed: