Anyone else successfully learn a new language? (OFFICIAL COLI LANGUAGE THREAD)

hoodheronova

All Star
Daps
At first i was working because i got tired of school but i went back now i got another job i would like to get in the entertainment industry but idk where to start. Low key im coasting through life :mjcry::mjcry:
shyt good luck fam:salute:
get on that spanish breh.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
talk about how you did it

I feel now I'm at a solid basic level of conversational portuguese. IMO the best strategy is using multiple forms of learning. I took a traditional class here in DC for 6 months. I found some folks from Brasil online and started talking with them via skype on a weekly basis. They would help me with the portugues and I would help them with english. I would listen to music, read news, & watch movies in portuguese whenever I could. If I had just stuck to only Rosetta stone or pimsleur I dont' think I would be nearly as fluent.

The main difficulty I have now is getting my brain adjusted to hearing the language and understanding it at a normal pace in a real conversation. I can say any statement or ask any question with ease now but when the person responds, there are many times when I have to ask them to repeat it and slow down. It sounds like they are speaking 500mph to me but to them they feel like they are speaking at a normal pace. It's only because I'm not used to hearing the language all the time. I think that will improve with time and repetition.

Then you have to remember that different regions have different accents and slang just like here in the US. When I'm in Salvador and I'm speaking, a lot of the brasilians there clown me saying they understand me but I sound like I'm from Sao Paulo because of the way I pronounce words and some of the words I use are too formal. The teacher in the class that I took was from Sao Paulo so thats where I got most of my pronunciations from. Imagine someone who grew up in NYC and you drop them in the middle of Louisiana. It's still English but it's a different breed

Learning languages is not that difficult, it just takes A LOT of time and even more willpower
this is really it. once you learn the proper grammatical structure of sentences, the rest is just learning vocabulary words and getting your brain adjusted to listening to the language and understanding it. That takes a lot of repetition.

hoodheronova

All Star
Daps
I feel now I'm at a solid basic level of conversational portuguese. IMO the best strategy is using multiple forms of learning. I took a traditional class here in DC for 6 months. I found some folks from Brasil online and started talking with them via skype on a weekly basis. They would help me with the portugues and I would help them with english. I would listen to music, read news, & watch movies in portuguese whenever I could. If I had just stuck to only Rosetta stone or pimsleur I dont' think I would be nearly as fluent.

The main difficulty I have now is getting my brain adjusted to hearing the language and understanding it at a normal pace in a real conversation. I can say any statement or ask any question with ease now but when the person responds, there are many times when I have to ask them to repeat it and slow down. It sounds like they are speaking 500mph to me but to them they feel like they are speaking at a normal pace. It's only because I'm not used to hearing the language all the time. I think that will improve with time and repetition.

Then you have to remember that different regions have different accents and slang just like here in the US. When I'm in Salvador and I'm speaking, a lot of the brasilians there clown me saying they understand me but I sound like I'm from Sao Paulo because of the way I pronounce words and some of the words I use are too formal. The teacher in the class that I took was from Sao Paulo so thats where I got most of my pronunciations from. Imagine someone who grew up in NYC and you drop them in the middle of Louisiana. It's still English but it's a different breed

this is really it. once you learn the proper grammatical structure of sentences, the rest is just learning vocabulary words and getting your brain adjusted to listening to the language and understanding it. That takes a lot of repetition.
how do you find people to skype with. Does it cost money?

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
how many languages you speak?
just two, but i'll add 2-3 more in the next 20 years of my life

i can move pretty seamlessly between carioquês and paulistanês, and the south is no problem because they enunciate very clearly

baianês is really easy for me to understand (unless i dont know the slang, which is often, but the sounds are easy). and in MG, they talk almost like paulistas

the key to moving off the SP accent, which is easiest for north americans, is to reduce your R's. pronounce all your single-r's like -ch- and you'll go a long way. and in bahia, open your vowels. "loja" in SP would be "loh-zha", but in bahia you'd say "lawh-zha"

G-Zeus

G-Zeus Chrystler...the brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsident evil
French by moving to Montreal Canada and English by playing video games..

I'm about 30% spanish fluent

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
how do you find people to skype with. Does it cost money?
I found some cats on www.verbling.com and even hung out with one when I went to their city. that one was free. www.italki.com is also another popular one but that costs money i think. but I agree with horse.kills you should have some form of in-person instruction so that you have a base to build off of when speaking with real natives. otherwise they will lose their patience with you real quick if you can't say anything past 'How are you' or 'My name is'

QuintessentialBM

GoldenAgeGamer82 - PSN ID
Daps
Reppin
Gamers Paradise
talk about how you did it

Yes.. I successfully learned Spanish. I've always loved languages, even as a little boy. I got my basic foundation from the basic Spanish words and phrases that are common in American culture, then I took formal Spanish for 2 years in middle school. The majority of my growth has come from independent study; purchasing books and using free resources on the internet. I have a real big passion for language learning, so I generally studied for about 2-3 hours daily. I hit some roadblocks and even gave up a time or two, but I'd say it took me about 4 years to become proficient in Spanish communication.

Gotta put in the work. No way around it.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm learning Japanese. Basically if you want to get fluent, become immersed in it 24/7. I literally have my entire operating system in Japanese, my android phone is in Japanese and I pretty much only watch/listen to Japanese stuff. English is basically only used right now at work or when talking to other people. When I'm home, driving or on foot Japanese is my language of choice.. Just get used to it. You learn like you learned your first language.

Put in the time NOW. If you want to get fluent FAST, a few hours a day isn't really going to make a dent. It has to be insane amount of input. Input should precede output. Your understanding and comprehension should be more important than being able to utter a word or phrase. Imagine you're in real life and you know how to successfully ask someone for directions or ask about something in your target language but then the way they speak is different from how your textbook or learning program sounds or speaks??

That's why input from real life sources such as youtube, TV, movies, music etc is paramount to how "fluent" you can be. That's what I'm striving for. Fluency or damn near native fluency. So far, I say my Japanese writing and reading is improving. I've had a japanese Mom say my writing(of Kanji) is just as good as natives. I pretty much put in hella time. Right now I'm just listening, listening and listening a lot.

Last edited:

QuintessentialBM

GoldenAgeGamer82 - PSN ID
Daps
Reppin
Gamers Paradise
I heard from other Spanish speakers that if you trying to learn it to stay away from Mexico and Puerto Rico

People say the same about Dominican Spanish (Somewhat agree though :manny: ). I would say find people that speak neutrally. There are Mexicans, Ricans, ect. that don't speak with an intelligible accent or too fast for learners to understand.

My suggestion would be learn from a Central or South American country.. or learn Castilian Spanish.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
there is no such thing as the "wrong" accent or speaking "neutrally"

this is bullshyt relative to which region produces and best distributes media of any sort

the way a language is spoken is the way it is spoken, learn with whomever you want, just be aware of regional, social, and economic boundaries. the same way you are of your native language

Paradise

Too tired to think of something witty to say...
Daps
I took French for three years in high school. I'm pretty decent. But if I went somewhere with lots of French speaking people that's a whole different story.