Anyone else successfully learn a new language? (OFFICIAL COLI LANGUAGE THREAD)

QuintessentialBM

GoldenAgeGamer82 - PSN ID
Daps
Reppin
Gamers Paradise
there is no such thing as the "wrong" accent or speaking "neutrally"

this is bullshyt relative to which region produces and best distributes media of any sort

the way a language is spoken is the way it is spoken, learn with whomever you want, just be aware of regional, social, and economic boundaries. the same way you are of your native language

For the record , I never said there's a wrong way, but new speakers would do themselves a service if they practice with people they can understand.

The first time I heard.... ¿Cómo tu ta? :mindblown: :what: :dwillhuh:

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
For the record , I never said there's a wrong way, but new speakers would do themselves a service if they practice with people they can understand.

The first time I heard.... ¿Cómo tu ta? :mindblown: :what: :dwillhuh:
como tu ta is how people speak though

if they're beginning students, they dont understand anyone, so wherever they choose to start is the right place

Medio

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New York
I just got in a big fight with my girl, she's fluent in Spanish but never wants to speak it to me because she doesn't want to. I know Spanish good but just want to up my conversation more

hoodheronova

All Star
Daps
I just got in a big fight with my girl, she's fluent in Spanish but never wants to speak it to me because she doesn't want to. I know Spanish good but just want to up my conversation more
find another chick

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
just memorized 200 creole words. 800 more to go
don't waste your time. learning a language to fluency is not memorizing, it's using it. practicing and repeating will get you to remember

what you gonna do with 200 words? how you gonna use them in a sentence? have you really memorized them, since it's only been a few minutes?

Fenian

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Govan
I didn't so much learn a new one but I grew up speaking two languages. Irish Gaelic. And English.

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Studied Spanish in Central America as well as in Spain. Lately, I visit Mexico to get tacos and practice.

Books are cool and will help you with vocab, but practice with somebody who speaks it is KEY. Im not fluent or where I want to be yet but When I was in rosarito a couple weeks back I spoke in spanish the whole time. It was pretty dope, made me feel like I'm almost there:win:

Im at the point where I dont need anymore classes, but I do need to study to learn more words.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
i'm learning Spanish, any good tv shows, movies, musicians, etc yall Spanish speakers/learners use?

also is there a good variety to learn since i've heard that Caribbean Spanish is very different than Castillian and Spanish from Chile and Argentina is :scust:

hoodheronova

All Star
Daps
don't waste your time. learning a language to fluency is not memorizing, it's using it. practicing and repeating will get you to remember

what you gonna do with 200 words? how you gonna use them in a sentence? have you really memorized them, since it's only been a few minutes?

Dont' use word lists. Learn them in context. Learn words in sentences.
we all have our own methods. The more words i know the more words i can pick up on during conversation.

This first week im memorizing 5000 words, next week im going to start conversation

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
we all have our own methods. The more words i know the more words i can pick up on during conversation.

This first week im memorizing 5000 words, next week im going to start conversation
That's a bad way to learn breh I'm telling you from experience. Language is not finite and plus that method will bore you. That's a very archaic way of learning.
A word without context is meaningless. Also learning words as if it's a one to one correspondence exists doesn't. Btw, you said creole, you're talking haitian creole? I can easily show you what I mean.

hoodheronova

All Star
Daps
That's a bad way to learn breh I'm telling you from experience. Language is not finite and plus that method will bore you. That's a very archaic way of learning.
A word without context is meaningless. Also learning words as if it's a one to one correspondence exists doesn't. Btw, you said creole, you're talking haitian creole? I can easily show you what I mean.
yea haitian creole. Easy ass language to learn. Im already listening to some cartoons. Made about 300 flash cards so far

Can already pick out some words from this cartoon, but they speak a lil fast for me.

Show me what you mean tho