Anyone here a melodic guitar player?

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
Got a decent priced small body acoustic guitar (Little Martin LX1). Just know a few chords, can strum with pick and fingerpick, do the spider exercises and know the E Minor pentatonic scale/Minor Pentatonic Shape #1. Hard to freestyle on it. Piano is so much easier to start.

Have my first lesson with a brehette this Saturday. Still want to get as much as I can alone so I can actually learn from her besides exercises and correction in my technique.

Last edited:

Fiji Water

Every moment is an opportunity
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Definitely don't try to play it like a piano. I learned the hard way when I first started. Sounds like you got a decent grip already, no pun intended

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
It's a process breh. Take your time and have fun with it. So many different techniques on the guitar. So many ways to play the same melody.
You have African styles to discover, you have Spanish, Jazz. Learning how to play double octaves can give you an enhanced sound. It's to me the most fun instrument. Then you start adding effects and it's a deep dive.

Is it a nylon string guitar?

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Definitely don't try to play it like a piano. I learned the hard way when I first started. Sounds like you got a decent grip already, no pun intended
Spider exercises have improved my fingering on the frets and strumming but I’m still all slow. Just learned the scale last night. Can’t do much yet

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
It's a process breh. Take your time and have fun with it. So many different techniques on the guitar. So many ways to play the same melody.
You have African styles to discover, you have Spanish, Jazz. Learning how to play double octaves can give you an enhanced sound. It's to me the most fun instrument. Then you start adding effects and it's a deep dive.

Is it a nylon string guitar?
In a year I want to get an electric, probably SG or Telecaster. Doesn’t have to be the big names, decent budget ones like $300+. I’m slow af with fingering and want to play like this.

Why can I do to play melodically? Even if super basic? I discovered some chords I like but just strumming chords is boring even though I’m slow at switching between them. My strumming is decent.

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
In a year I want to get an electric, probably SG or Telecaster. Doesn’t have to be the big names, decent budget ones like $300+. I’m slow af with fingering and want to play like this.

Why can I do to play melodically? Even if super basic? I discovered some chords I like but just strumming chords is boring even though I’m slow at switching between them. My strumming is decent.

He's picking, playing chords, also doing hammer-ons for notes. If you knew all that he was doing it would take a few months to get it down. You would have to memorize the chord progressions. But since you're just starting I would say give it a year if you stay diligent about learning the guitar. You can see what he's doing though so you have a head start. Just have to understand how chords are being played. Learning how chord progressions are formed from scales will help you understand the why....

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
He's picking, playing chords, also doing hammer-ons for notes. If you knew all that he was doing it would take a few months to get it down. You would have to memorize the chord progressions. But since you're just starting I would say give it a year if you stay diligent about learning the guitar. You can see what he's doing though so you have a head start. Just have to understand how chords are being played. Learning how chord progressions are formed from scales will help you understand the why....
Thanks breh. As for now how do I improve my dexterity besides spider exercises and pentatonic scale?

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
That just comes with learning songs and playing/practicing.

But I was talking about the nylon strings because they are easier on your fingers than the steel.
My bad I missed that. I have a little Martin, so steel strings lol

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Before trying to play melodically I would focus on technique. Making sure chords sound clean, being able to pick out individual notes first, making sure your right hand doesn’t stop, and you’re able to play consistently with a metronome.
The spider exercises has helped my pinky a lot. I started off a dreadnought, then returned it for a parlor and then went back for a 3/4 size for a smaller neck lol.

Chords are hard lol. I know Em, D7, D and C. I find strumming not too hard. I can do the down, down, up, down and up pattern.

Daps
Reppin
7th District
You got some good advice already, but I'll throw my 2 cents in

Make sure you get your guitar set up by a luthier in your area if you haven't already. You didn't say what brand guitar you bought, but lower priced ones often don't come set up properly from the factory.

For example, a common issue would be with the action. Thats your string height from the fretboard. If your action is too high, you're gonna have an even harder time trying to play. Especially if you use steel strings.

A good setup will ensure your guitar is as comfortable to play as possible. And the neat thing about guitar, you can get it set to your preferences. What's comfortable for me to play may not be for you and vice versa