Anyone here a melodic guitar player?

Daps
Reppin
NYC
You got some good advice already, but I'll throw my 2 cents in

Make sure you get your guitar set up by a luthier in your area if you haven't already. You didn't say what brand guitar you bought, but lower priced ones often don't come set up properly from the factory.

For example, a common issue would be with the action. Thats your string height from the fretboard. If your action is too high, you're gonna have an even harder time trying to play. Especially if you use steel strings.

A good setup will ensure your guitar is as comfortable to play as possible. And the neat thing about guitar, you can get it set to your preferences. What's comfortable for me to play may not be for you and vice versa
Can't stress this enough. Most music stores don't set up instruments before they put them up on the wall, so you have people buying and taking home instruments that are all out of wack. Every time I walk into guitar center I see this happening and its crazy that the employees don't tell people about proper instrument setups, sh*t is wild.

Fresh strings + Setup 👍

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
You got some good advice already, but I'll throw my 2 cents in

Make sure you get your guitar set up by a luthier in your area if you haven't already. You didn't say what brand guitar you bought, but lower priced ones often don't come set up properly from the factory.

For example, a common issue would be with the action. Thats your string height from the fretboard. If your action is too high, you're gonna have an even harder time trying to play. Especially if you use steel strings.

A good setup will ensure your guitar is as comfortable to play as possible. And the neat thing about guitar, you can get it set to your preferences. What's comfortable for me to play may not be for you and vice versa
Little Martin LX1, my local guitar center is in the process of getting a new guitar tech :francis:
Action is a bit high on these steel strings

Westbama Heartthrob

Irregular Zero
Daps
Reppin
7th District
Can't stress this enough. Most music stores don't set up instruments before they put them up on the wall, so you have people buying and taking home instruments that are all out of wack. Every time I walk into guitar center I see this happening and its crazy that the employees don't tell people about proper instrument setups, sh*t is wild.

Fresh strings + Setup 👍
Most of the time those sales reps don't even know nothing about an instrument :snoop:

I get most are just looking for a job, but I feel like anybody selling something should know the basics at minimum. If a beginner don't do research on their own or have somebody with them that knows better, they can easily get steered wrong :why:

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

There's the technical aspect, chords, scales, notes, hammer ons, hammer offs, muted notes, tremolos, harmonics, slides. And all that is important to learn, they're kind of the foundation, but imo even with them learned you just kind of muddle through and muddle around but its when you feel it that it comes through and comes together.

You know enough chords already to do arpeggios and kind of make your own melody, patterns, song.

You have to have fun with it, as long as you play every day and do a little more everyday or learn something one day, practice it explicitly for 3 days you'll continue to get better.

It's definitely better to limit yourself to 15min -1hr a day than thinking your going to become some boss or learn a lot quicker by doing 2-3 hour sessions.

There are plenty of tools, apps, games, software, videos, resources to help you. shyt works too, only issue is with learning on your own you won't receive feedback or tips directly related to you. For instance you can play a C or an A and if you fukk up (wrong note) you're going to get the audible noise. But sometimes all your fingers are right, and you're pressing on the right strings, a live instructor can say "look at the placement of your thumb" or "your on the right strings and frets but look where your 3rd (ring) finger is pressing on the string too far or close." Or "the way you're pressing with your finger is muting the string below."

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Got a decent priced small body acoustic guitar (Little Martin LX1). Just know a few chords, can strum with pick and fingerpick, do the spider exercises and know the E Minor pentatonic scale/Minor Pentatonic Shape #1. Hard to freestyle on it. Piano is so much easier to start.

Have my first lesson with a brehette this Saturday. Still want to get as much as I can alone so I can actually learn from her besides exercises and correction in my technique.

Take lessons but in your own time, play songs you like. That'll keep you interested and progressing.

I'm not as good at guitar as I should be but I picked up piano a little faster.

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
@Hoodoo Child what you got breh?
I started off kinda rough at 15. I was more focused on stage presence, instead of technique. As I got older, I started focusing more on theory. I'm Blues based, but I dabble here and there, mixing & matching. (Ex. Blues with Jazz motifs / Phrygian dominant with some RnB licks/ Imitating a singer's vocals note for note)

Starting on acoustic will save you alot of time and money, especially if you wanna improve dual-hand dexterity. Gotta get used to the strings tho

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
Take lessons but in your own time, play songs you like. That'll keep you interested and progressing.

I'm not as good at guitar as I should be but I picked up piano a little faster.
My nikkas first lesson is Saturday with a teacher. I should learn all that and plan to. How can I start learning to play like this? Strumming up and down sounds bland.

With the tabs posted at the bottom of the vid. I see it’s usually one to two notes being played. He’s fingerpicking but what’s his thumb technique called?

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
I started off kinda rough at 15. I was more focused on stage presence, instead of technique. As I got older, I started focusing more on theory. I'm Blues based, but I dabble here and there, mixing & matching. (Ex. Blues with Jazz motifs / Phrygian dominant with some RnB licks/ Imitating a singer's vocals note for note)

Starting on acoustic will save you alot of time and money, especially if you wanna improve dual-hand dexterity. Gotta get used to the strings tho
I want to do all that dope stuff you listed too. That’s why I chose acoustic because it’s just grab and play. No amp. I’m getting bored just doing spider exercises or strumming struggle chords lol.

As a beginner what else can I do or what’s attainable to feel like I’m progressing?

I won’t quit but I’m bored of just doing that. On a piano I can fool around with a scale and feel like I’m getting somewhere although super basic.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
My nikkas first lesson is Saturday with a teacher. I should learn all that and plan to. How can I start learning to play like this? Strumming up and down sounds bland.

With the tabs posted at the bottom of the vid. I see it’s usually one to two notes being played. He’s fingerpicking but what’s his thumb technique called?

U can't skip steps. That's why I said take the lessons, bur practice on ur own doing things u like so that you don't get bored.

Rozay Oro

Supporter
Daps
U can't skip steps. That's why I said take the lessons, bur practice on ur own doing things u like so that you don't get bored.
I’m stuck doing finger exercises and chords. How do exactly practice things I like when I’m slow moving on the fretboard?

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
I’m stuck doing finger exercises and chords. How do exactly practice things I like when I’m slow moving on the fretboard?

I would practice on that video you just posted with the tablature. Gotta keep yourself interested. It takes time to learn what's going on in the music. The lessons will help you with that.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I have an acoustic guitar I love playing.
Eventually I wanna get this Epiphone Les Paul guitar...
L79166000001000-02-2000x2000.jpg