Anyone in Finance / Investment Banking?

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
What's your normal day to day like?

I create and support proprietary apps for all 3 offices at a hedge fund (front, middle, and back). It's a full stack role as I architect and build every layer of whatever app i'm building: backend, domain, and web layer. Typical day is comprised of handling data related fires for traders and analysts while working on individual long term projects (building more proprietary software essentially).

It's the hardest job I've ever had since it's a small team and we are responsible for everything. We use multiple languages and frameworks and use a lot of graph theory to do incremental calculations for fees and things like that. I'm senior level and imo the other senior engineers on my team are genius level. One dude has a PHD in a hard science from an Ivy league and the other dude has a masters from one of the best engineering schools in europe. Me? I graduated with a <3.0 gpa from a C tier public school. :troll:. I have a BA, not even a BS :mjlol:. Sometimes I think the expectations for the job are a little extra but the pay and perks are good.
It's all good though, I like what I do and love the technical challenges and autonomy i have to architect and design solutions.

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I create and support proprietary apps for all 3 offices at a hedge fund (front, middle, and back). It's a full stack role as I architect and build every layer of whatever app i'm building: backend, domain, and web layer. Typical day is comprised of handling data related fires for traders and analysts while working on individual long term projects (building more proprietary software essentially).

It's the hardest job I've ever had since it's a small team and we are responsible for everything. We use multiple languages and frameworks and use a lot of graph theory to do incremental calculations for fees and things like that. I'm senior level and imo the other senior engineers on my team are genius level. One dude has a PHD in a hard science from an Ivy league and the other dude has a masters from one of the best engineering schools in europe. Me? I graduated with a <3.0 gpa from a C tier public school. :troll:. I have a BA, not even a BS :mjlol:. Sometimes I think the expectations for the job are a little extra but the pay and perks are good.
It's all good though, I like what I do and love the technical challenges and autonomy i have to architect and design solutions.

If I was looking for black engineers like u. Where would I look? How much would I have to pay them?

.༼-◕_◕-༽.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.
Daps
Reppin
Dona Nobis Pacem
I worked for UBS as an investment banking summer intern, in my junior year of college. It's not really all that to be honest. They're anal about clothing, the work from my perspective wasn't hard. But I made some good money. The starting salary for an investment banking analyst is 60k start, 10k bonus; and the year end bonus ranges from 20k to 60k. Your bonus is not based on your work, but your teams work and the companies outlook.

I know work finance for the government ( Dept of finance). No where near the base salary.

Yes it's white dominated!! Hate those CACS.
I feel like the financial sector gives decent "job" opportunities to Black people... That's just been my experience.

Daps

So I guess you are not really involved deeply with the math heavy shyt but you are more of a project manager / developer right? Anyways sounds like a really nice gig. Congrats bro. I have a job and graduated two years ago with a BS in CS but the money is pretty average and I don't like the work environment. I just need to find a place that has good long term potential and pays good and is in a nice location. I don't like job hopping because it gets tiresome after a while. I want to have time to do what I want outside of work and not have to make stupid apps for my GitHub to impress some stupid HR jerkoff.

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

That sounds dope lol. I've been reading up quant analysts and developers and it seems the most interesting thing I've seen (also the most difficult lol). I would love to get into something like that after my education. Is that similar to what you do?

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
So I guess you are not really involved deeply with the math heavy shyt but you are more of a project manager / developer right? Anyways sounds like a really nice gig. Congrats bro. I have a job and graduated two years ago with a BS in CS but the money is pretty average and I don't like the work environment. I just need to find a place that has good long term potential and pays good and is in a nice location. I don't like job hopping because it gets tiresome after a while. I want to have time to do what I want outside of work and not have to make stupid apps for my GitHub to impress some stupid HR jerkoff.

it's mostly algorithmic stuff. nothing really math heavy.

i'm heading out to a show right now. but i'll be back in here tomorrow to speak on job hopping and "outside projects". like i alluded to in my other response i didn't even graduate with a degree in CS. i basically finessed my way to where i am now.

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it's mostly algorithmic stuff. nothing really math heavy.

i'm heading out to a show right now. but i'll be back in here tomorrow to speak on job hopping and "outside projects". like i alluded to in my other response i didn't even graduate with a degree in CS. i basically finessed my way to where i am now.

I love that lol, respect & thanks

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
If I was looking for black engineers like u. Where would I look? How much would I have to pay them?

I've been working in IT for almost a decade and i have NEVER had another black programmer on my team.......
so not sure where you would find them specifically.
as far as pay, obviously it varies but i'd say total comp for a sr. dev in a major city is anywhere from $150k-400k
it moved really fast last few yrs. i remember in 2013 i was blown away to find out the guy who sat next to me made 200k , now days i wouldn't be surprised at numbers like that

Daps
I've been working in IT for almost a decade and i have NEVER had another black programmer on my team.......
so not sure where you would find them specifically.
as far as pay, obviously it varies but i'd say total comp for a sr. dev in a major city is anywhere from $150k-400k
it moved really fast last few yrs. i remember in 2013 i was blown away to find out the guy who sat next to me made 200k , now days i wouldn't be surprised at numbers like that

Shyt that's incredible. I need to move out of Toronto asap. Not enough opportunities for developers. @ me when you make that post about job hopping and send me a pm too. We should share knowledge and build. I've also never worked with a black programmer ever, and like everytime I run into a black dude with a github or a profile on stackoverflow i have to save that shyt and look at it from time to time to convince myself that i'm not the only one out there.

Daps
That sounds dope lol. I've been reading up quant analysts and developers and it seems the most interesting thing I've seen (also the most difficult lol). I would love to get into something like that after my education. Is that similar to what you do?

Out of curiosity what are you currently studying breh?

MrPentatonic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Out of curiosity what are you currently studying breh?

Going back to uni to study Computer Science Msci in a years time. Went down the wrong road in life for a couple years & wised up in the end.. I'm fortunate to have good grades and a clean record. Just have to work hard on building work experience until I finish.