Apparently after braces, you have to wear a retainer for the rest of your life

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
My sister had braces in high school. The other day she was freaking out because she misplaced her retainer.
I asked her why she still needed it anyway since she got her braces removed years ago. She told me that she has to wear it every night.

So I asked her for how long and she said basically for the rest of her life.
Apparently if you go without your retainer for a couple of days, your teeth will immediately start shifting back to their pre-braces positions

:wtf:

My stupid ass thought once your braces were removed that you only had to wear a retainer for a couple of years and you were good. That shiit is forever.

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah and it’s the same with Invisalign.

I had Invisalign in 2012 for a year and got 1 set of retainers which eventually broke and I never got them remolded. I got Invisalign again in 2022 because my teeth had shifted (not as bad as before but they still shifted). I took them off early last year and this time my new orthodontist gave me 4 sets of retainers.

I only wear them about 2-3 times a week cause they’re annoying to clean in the morning. If I don’t wear them for about a week straight and try to put them on they’ll be tight and cause a little bit of pain cause obviously my teeth will start shifting again.

SnowflakesByTheOZ

Sorry, that's another B
Daps
Yea I had braces when I was younger from about the age of 6 maybe to 12 and after I got them removed the dentist told me I had to wear the permanent retainer. Idk if we're talking about the same thing but it's pretty much like these 2 small brackets that are attached behind the top and bottom row. I went to the dentist a couple year ago (31 now) and apparently the bottom one wasnt there :russ: . Dentist said it mustve came off during a contact sport or something idk, I didnt even realize it wasnt there, still got the top one though

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Yea I had braces when I was younger from about the age of 6 maybe to 12 and after I got them removed the dentist told me I had to wear the permanent retainer. Idk if we're talking about the same thing but it's pretty much like these 2 small brackets that are attached behind the top and bottom row. I went to the dentist a couple year ago (31 now) and apparently the bottom one wasnt there :russ: . Dentist said it mustve came off during a contact sport or something idk, I didnt even realize it wasnt there, still got the top one though

damn you had braces for 6 years as a yute.....must have been rough :picard:

at least it was before the discovery of women :russ:

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
It depends, not the same for everyone. I had my braces taken out over 20 years ago now and still wear my retainer every single night. I don’t even feel right going to bed without mine on. When I put it on at night I definitely feel some tightness compared to the prior morning when I took them out. I remember my boy had some too in high school and never wore a retainer and his teeth went right back to square one.

So some years back, my top retainer broke. I initially got retainers because I had a Michael Strahan gap. Replacing the retainer was too expensive for a while so I had to go without them, and lo and behold, my gap came back a little. When I was finally able to buy a replacement, I had to wear it all day other than when eating and brushing for a good while before my teeth got back straight again. I’m wearing them every night for the rest of this here life.