Apple Could Be Antittrusted - Justice Department Could File Antitrust Case on Apple

Alix217

Superstar
Daps
0f36f791-8f50-41cb-8a06-63c9947bb958_text.gif

The Justice Department is in the late stages of an investigation into Apple and could file a sweeping antitrust case taking aim at the company’s strategies to protect the dominance of the iPhone as soon as the first half of this year, said three people with knowledge of the matter.

The agency is focused on how Apple has used its control over its hardware and software to make it more difficult for consumers to ditch the company’s devices, as well as for rivals to compete, said the people, who spoke anonymously because the investigation was active.

Specifically, investigators have examined how the Apple Watch works better with the iPhone than with other brands, as well as how Apple locks competitors out of its iMessage service. They have also scrutinized Apple’s payments system for the iPhone, which blocks other financial firms from offering similar services, these people said.

Senior leaders in the Justice Department’s antitrust division are reviewing the results of the investigation so far, said two of the people. The agency’s officials have met with Apple multiple times, including in December, to discuss the investigation. No final decision has been made about whether a lawsuit should be filed or what it should include, and Apple has not had a final meeting with the Justice Department in which it can make its case to the government before a lawsuit is filed.

The Justice Department is closing in on what would be the most consequential federal antitrust lawsuit challenging Apple, which is the most valuable tech company in the world. If the lawsuit is filed, American regulators will have sued four of the biggest tech companies for monopolistic business practices in less than five years. The Justice Department is currently facing off against Google in two antitrust cases, focused on its search and ad tech businesses, while the Federal Trade Commission has sued Amazon and Meta for stifling competition.

I got Apple stock :lupe:

Lonj

Superstar
Daps

THEY DONT OWN FOX

The acquisition of 21st Century Fox included 20th Century Fox, 20th Century Fox Television Productions, Fox Television Animation, Blue Sky Studios (which shut down in 2021 due to economic difficulties arising from the COVID-19 pandemic), Fox 2000, Fox Searchlight, FX, FXX, as well as every TV and film properties Fox owned, including X-Men, Deadpool, Fantastic Four, The Simpsons, Family Guy, and Anastasia (which should make the character an honorary Disney Princess since it the film was animated by former Disney animator Don Bluth).

EDIT: I guess you mean they don't own FOX the corporation but they pretty much scooped up it's enitre pop entertainment division.

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
I don't understand how this is a case when Android is 50/50 with user share in America. This seems like the government mad Apple won't give them backdoor keys.
This
And we got nikkas saying this good for the consumers man :camby:

So I should sue M$ and Nintendo cuz my PS5 discs or ps vita whateve the fukk they was called dont work on their consoles too :russ:
Bunch of boomers fukks that don’t get shyt
I love the closed Apple ecosystem that’s why I buy it
They can fukk off

Sir Richard Spirit

Superstar
Daps
This is good for consumers, competition breeds price checks and better choices.

Same with amazon, and Google, break all they asses up including Disney.

There’s a million choices when it comes to phones at all price points. This is bullshyt.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I don't understand how this is a case when Android is 50/50 with user share in America. This seems like the government mad Apple won't give them backdoor keys.
Android is an OS tho. There's a multiple companies with android phones. But I wouldn't bet against the bolded being correct