As great as he was, Michael Jackson is sometimes overrated on here as a vocalist

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
While most of us on here know jackson is not a top vocalist there's people who for some reason try to put him up there with best. This is being lenient because he can't really hit 4 octaves.

Vocal Range and Profile: Michael Jackson
Vocal Type: Lyric Tenor (4 octaves, 1 note, and a semi-tone)

His lows were the darkest part of his range, being heavy and ever-so-slightly smokey. His mid-range gained brightness as it ascended, and his belting range had almost a chameleon edge to it, it could adopt different timbres and tones. It could come with a rock edge, a softer, mellow tone, or a light or heavy timbre.. This allowed for vocal versatility and transitions through different genres.

Contrary to popular belief, he did NOT solely rely on his falsetto register. Of course MJ used it frequently, but it was not an indication of his inability to sing in full voice. In fact, if you listen to the "Butterflies" acapella, you can hear that all the high notes are sung in full voice and not falsetto.

Negatives: Voice lacked power and was naturally androgynous. Sounds child-like on many recordings instead of like a full-grown man well into middle age. Often sacrificed diction for feeling.

Note
: There is a lot of flack on the Internet about his range and the counting of exclamations above C6. I'm counting the exclamations in his range because 1) they're not strained 2) They're not unintentional 3) They're clean. And for the Eb2, he has sung down to an F#2 in a 1994 vocal warm-up and the Eb2 is years later in 2001. I don't have a problem putting it in his range, since in 7 years he could have expanded his range. Either way, he still has a 4 octave range. Finally, I scrapped this profile together by combining info from DivaDevotee, BarkBiteBlog and my own notes.

You just purchased your tickets to a site wide neg train when it comes back. Congratulations!!!!

Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Bookmarked so I can neg when reps come back

D0sewyX.gif

Daps
When your vocals even the supposed "flaws/limitations" and inflections are mimicked by your peers, impersonators and self proclaimed pupils and protoges...........you's a bad mufukka.
Michael Jackson is considered one of the top vocalists because a lot of his catalogue is made up of listen but don't touch songs. You have to be above average to do his songs any justice. These are facts. You might hit every note but if you don't hit them LIKE MIKE you'll fukk the whole feel of the song up.

Would you put him up there with Luther, Gill & Mcknight :jbhmm:

Kokoro

Passion
Supporter
Daps
Naw man none of this matters. I study music for fun, it's a hobby so I understood some of the more technical points but: if it sounds good it is good

That's all that matters really. And his music sounds great and is unique which by default makes him great

His voice blended uniquely with the instruments and music

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Would you put him up there with Luther, Gill & Mcknight :jbhmm:
Do you remember when Luther sang "man in the mirror" for that Michael Jackson special they air every so often on VH1? You see how even Luther, who most consider the GOAT male vocalist, had to switch it up because He knew he wouldn't be able to do it like Mike? Listen to Johnny Gills and MJs versions of "give love on Chrismas day" both went in on that song in their own way but for Mike to be a Kid and have the musicality that he had always gives him an edge for me. That musicality translated over into the music he did as an adult and it contributed to his unique vocal stylings.

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I preferred MJ's vocals on his ballads prior to the Bad album. Human Nature, I Can't Help It, Lady in My Life, Get On The Floor, etc.

Though Butterflies and Heaven Can Wait I like.

C L O N E*0690//////
Daps
Reppin
uptXwn***///***///
you gotta know motherfukkers is conditioned to defend mj no matter what
logic and opinions be damned
media/pop culture deify him

• Dap
Reactions: ISO