ATCQ - People’s Instinctive Travels & The Paths Of Rhythm || DISCUSSION THREAD

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
What was the reception when it first dropped? If you were old enough.
For us way younger what was you thoughts when you first heard it?

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
This is a weird album to talk about because it's definitely a classic, but it doesn't have the same replay value (in my mind) that Low End Theory or Midnight Marauders does. I've actually listened to Beats, Rhymes, & Life more than this one.

Part of it is because Phife is barely on it and he's a big reason why Tribe works so well. Originally, I thought Q-Tip just wanted all the songs to himself, but then I found out that Phife never showed up to the studio because he was always doing his own thing. Also, Tribe is known for using a lot of jazz samples, but this album has more of a funk influence that they never used again. I forgot, but one of the songs samples "Sir Duke" in the beginning.

Regardless, this album has a lot of good songs. "Push It Along" is a classic opening track, "I Left My Wallet in El Segundo" tells a great story, "Bonita Applebum" is iconic because of all the songs it inspired, "Can I Kick It?" is classic (I prefer the J. Cole remix, though), and "Ham n' Eggs" might be my favorite song on the album. It's crazy to think about how diverse and creative the golden age of rap was, that you could make a great song about eating healthy and it doesn't sound corny or childish.

I think out of all the Tribe albums, this one is the most inspired by the Native Tongues. Mostly because this was when most of the relationships were still good. I feel like on People's, Tribe was a good group, but The Low End Theory made them a fantastic group.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
This is a weird album to talk about because it's definitely a classic, but it doesn't have the same replay value (in my mind) that Low End Theory or Midnight Marauders does. I've actually listened to Beats, Rhymes, & Life more than this one.

Part of it is because Phife is barely on it and he's a big reason why Tribe works so well. Originally, I thought Q-Tip just wanted all the songs to himself, but then I found out that Phife never showed up to the studio because he was always doing his own thing. Also, Tribe is known for using a lot of jazz samples, but this album has more of a funk influence that they never used again. I forgot, but one of the songs samples "Sir Duke" in the beginning.

Regardless, this album has a lot of good songs. "Push It Along" is a classic opening track, "I Left My Wallet in El Segundo" tells a great story, "Bonita Applebum" is iconic because of all the songs it inspired, "Can I Kick It?" is classic (I prefer the J. Cole remix, though), and "Ham n' Eggs" might be my favorite song on the album. It's crazy to think about how diverse and creative the golden age of rap was, that you could make a great song about eating healthy and it doesn't sound corny or childish.

I think out of all the Tribe albums, this one is the most inspired by the Native Tongues. Mostly because this was when most of the relationships were still good. I feel like on People's, Tribe was a good group, but The Low End Theory made them a fantastic group.

Good breakdown.. Footprints uses Sir Duke sample.

I agree about the replay versus MM and Low End.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
to me its their best album. and overall my favorite album, any genre.
edit: 2nd favorite (1st - music in the key of life)

"Candy Rain," "G.O.D., Pt. III," and the Fugees' cover of "Killing Me Softly," just to name a few. Tribe popularized that drum sample.
and common's come close, with the use of spaces in the verses. also if you pay attention on some music shyt, kaynes mdtbf is loosely patterned after this album
its a masterpiece. its crazy because i didnt really like el segundo that much, but i bought the album anyway when it dropped. first listening to it i could not believe what i was hearing. qtip changed the soundscape

Last edited:

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
As dope as the album is "Push it Along" "Can I kick it" "I left my Wallet" "Footprints" and "Bonita" are on such a different level it makes you wonder what happened with the rest of it

They made this album in like six months and it shows labels wouldn't give them the time of day until De La blew up

I thought Tribe was real dope but didn't play this album for very long other than "Footprints"

Bonita Applebum part 2 aka the hootie mix got a ton of play tho they should have shot a video one of the best tribe songs nobody talks about ill concept

NjQyNi5qcGVn.jpeg

Daps

Feel this is respected much more by the older heads who heard this live than those who followed. This never resonated with me the same way Low End or MM did. Similar to your point, have definitely bumped Beats, Rhymes... more than this and wouldn't call this a classic.