Religion/Spirituality Atheism and the black community...good read

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
I've noticed that too. I think a lot of chicks are overcompensating for wilding out in their high school/college days.

That said, I think it's kind of a generational things. Most black people I know under 35 aren't particularly religious (outside of baby mommas), while most older folks are. It is what it is. :manny:

Yeah it's funny how that works. There's this one chick I used to mess with way back in the days when I first started college who had issues with my religious views. When I reunited with her on facebook almost 10 years later, she has 2 kids by two different fathers and still hadn't finished school. :damn: And she was the main one posting all this religious shyt all day. She even changed her profile pic to the finger touch on the Sistine Chapel at one point. :russ:

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
My parents don't even understand what agnostic is, but give me lots of flack about it.

They barely go to church, and stay misquoting the bible or saying shyt that isn't even in it. I've done more reading and have a better understanding of the bible and Christianity than them, but they still hold on to this unwavering belief that they don't even fully understand.

I applaud the church for all it's done, but I swear black folks are brainwashed when it comes to religion. Got all the baby mommas on Facebook praising Jesus :mindblown: Something bad happens, they tell you to pray on it instead of trying to solve the problem. My dad hasn't been to church in over 7 years and he only went then to go to his brothers funeral. He recently had a health scare and was all up in church talmbout "praise The Lord :lawd:"

You know what's funny, most of them don't even think Bethlehem or the Red Sea exist. Its pure comedy when I ask them, and they feel just like Heaven and Hell, those places are not found on earth. I'm not Atheist, but why accept your faith and not be fully knowledgeable of basic information. I can understand people becoming more non religious, because the Theist and Atheist on either side are pretty distasteful. I don't really want to be around either group.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yeah it's funny how that works. There's this one chick I used to mess with way back in the days when I first started college who had issues with my religious views. When I reunited with her on facebook almost 10 years later, she has 2 kids by two different fathers and still hadn't finished school. :damn: And she was the main one posting all this religious shyt all day. She even changed her profile pic to the finger touch on the Sistine Chapel at one point. :russ:

nikka you ain't know? All the highschool slores are Jesus freaks. Literally every chick I know with a bunch of unwed babies stay on Facbook quoting bible verses and protesting gay marriage :dead:

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Listened to something similar on the BBC site a few months ago.

Atheists In Black America - BBC World Service - Your World, Real America, Atheists In Black America

In the United States, religion - in particular Christianity - is a driving force behind African-American culture.

Under slavery and segregation, the black church provided both spiritual and social services to African-Americans.

Today, many African-Americans see anything short of embracing religion as not just heretical but a denial of one's very blackness.

But there are a growing number of African-Americans who openly don't believe in God or the church.

We find out how they are trying to make their voices heard and seeking acceptance in their community.

Contributors to the documentary include writer Sikivu Hutchinson and musician Landon Taylor.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I still think it's horrible. Brought us over here and forced their religion on us, beat us until we accepted it and had no other hope....

then some kind of magical way black people have this super spiritual soul shyt going and gotta worship the christian god in the loudest way possible simply because we're black.

:ohhh: do you brehs think they told the slaves that teh "english" translation for whatever god they worshipped was the christian god?

You know, like teaching an eskimo that the english word for "ice" is "beer" or whatever and thinking it's funny.

what do you mean? look at the quote in my sig

:scusthov:

Arrogance.

King Novak of Melbourne, the First of His Name
Daps
Reppin
TSC/LToMD
Good article, it made me stop & think about how far we've come and how far we have to go. I still haven't told the majority of my relatives that I don't believe in God in any form, but they know I don't pray or attend church. I'm reminded at every turn that I should do those things whenever an opportunity to spoon feed religion comes up. And yes, black females will stop dating you for not believing. I tend to just keep it silent on the religion thing until its forced up, and by then I'm already smashing so :manny:

I'd like to meet this man, shake his hand, and discuss life with him. I'm sure he has a lot of knowledge to share.

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
I got a atheist homie that hasn't dated in years, but he wants to date only a sista. The problem with that is, most black women are religious in some form.

Will2x

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
dap + rep :lawd: i'd been struggling for some years, finally came to grips last fall and shyt aint been the same since. it sounds stupid outloud, but i keep thinking this must be how gay people feel coming out the closet. like ol girl said, you're either "deranged" or "confused" and either way you're goin to hell :ufdup: and i'm more agnostic then atheist. people distancing themselves... i helped my boy get off the streets when NO ONE ELSE would and even he told me that if I admitted to being a full blown atheist we probably couldn't be friends no more :why: after all the shyt i did for you breh?! i never felt something so lonely... i know one other guy and he's in the same kinda mode like me where it like you're on eggshells with everybody. luckily its a group starting up down here, i think i might join. we're lucky to be in the 21st century brehs :to: with the internet and all shyt shyt. i really feel like its about to take off in the next few decades... you can hear it in the music now. meek mill "amen", the game dropped a whole album called "jesus piece" and that shyt was :whoo:... anyways though

/rant

Recently I've had the same thoughts. I think being an atheist in the black community is even worse than being gay. They'll pray for murderers, thieves, and whores but if you're an atheist :ufdup:.

That's really fukked up what your friend said to you. He probably couldn't explain to you why he even feels that way.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
I got a atheist homie that hasn't dated in years, but he wants to date only a sista. The problem with that is, most black women are religious in some form.

show that man a picture of some PAWGS.. but if he also in oakland, i'm sure its some black jawns at berkely that arent religious as fukk.

dap + rep :lawd: i'd been struggling for some years, finally came to grips last fall and shyt aint been the same since. it sounds stupid outloud, but i keep thinking this must be how gay people feel coming out the closet. like ol girl said, you're either "deranged" or "confused" and either way you're goin to hell :ufdup: and i'm more agnostic then atheist. people distancing themselves... i helped my boy get off the streets when NO ONE ELSE would and even he told me that if I admitted to being a full blown atheist we probably couldn't be friends no more :why: after all the shyt i did for you breh?! i never felt something so lonely... i know one other guy and he's in the same kinda mode like me where it like you're on eggshells with everybody. luckily its a group starting up down here, i think i might join. we're lucky to be in the 21st century brehs :to: with the internet and all shyt shyt. i really feel like its about to take off in the next few decades... you can hear it in the music now. meek mill "amen", the game dropped a whole album called "jesus piece" and that shyt was :whoo:... anyways though

/rant

:damn:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
/rant

:wow: :to:

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
show that man a picture of some PAWGS.. but if he also in oakland, i'm sure its some black jawns at berkely that arent religious as fukk.

:damn:

He a trip. I keep telling him he needs to date, it's someone for everyone. He gonna end up with a white chick, most dreaded niccas do :krs:

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
i helped my boy get off the streets when NO ONE ELSE would and even he told me that if I admitted to being a full blown atheist we probably couldn't be friends no more :why: after all the shyt i did for you breh?!

/rant

:pacspit: at that guy. thats no friend. I got friends that are muslims, hell I lived with a muslim, me of all people. If you can't just acknowledge that your friend has beliefs and KIM you're a shyt friend. fukk him.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
:damn:@Ciroq drobama's story. I've never had any of my homies give me shyt about religion. They don't give a shyt...only chicks. The closest I came to something like that was once this dude told me I can't discuss religion in his house because he's worried I might bring demonic spirits there :lolbron:

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
:damn:@Ciroq drobama's story. I've never had any of my homies give me shyt about religion. They don't give a shyt...only chicks. The closest I came to something like that was once this dude told me I can't discuss religion in his house because he's worried I might bring demonic spirits there :lolbron:

:dwillhuh: You're friends with a real life Mowgli? These idiots exist IRL?!?