B.A.R.S. (1st Listen February Edition) Hip-Hop Project Power-Ranking (UPDATED: February's Best)

LEEeveryday

The-Coli Music Critic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LyricsMatter
2019 B.A.R.S. (1st Listen Edition) Best Project by Month (updated 03/01/2019)
Top Album:
Boogie: Everythings For Sale 77.88%

Top EP:
38 Spesh: 5 Shots (EP) 91.67%

Top R&B:
Asiahn: Love Train 2 66.67%
Top Album:
38 Spesh: 38 strategies Of Raw 77.50%

Top EP:
defprez: Sunday No. 1 (EP) 79.17%

Top R&B:
Kehlani: While We Wait 62.50%
Eric Bellinger: The Rebirth 2 62.50%

Wussup brehs, :blessed:

Nervous AF, I want to formally introduce B.A.R.S. (1st Listen Edition). It stands for Bum Ass Review Show. :wow:

Some of you MIGHT know, most of you might not give a fukk, but I'm looking to get into the Hip-Hop & R&B review game. Once I get my computer together, a YouTube channel is coming. I've noticed it's a lot of toxic-biased opinions based on who the artist is and affiliation and that dictates what's hot to the culture. I've come up with a process to review projects song by song to quantify what I'm listening to. Nerd shyt, but I love music. :lupe:

The caveat is, this is all based on my 1st listen. It's fair that I disclose that, because sitting with a project can improve a grade, songs have grown on me. It actually didn't happen as much as I anticipated, but it happens. So this year I want a running list.

The categories are the following and they might be weighted differently, depending on the artist.
  • Lyrics: Rappers rap so I expect lyrics for those artist. If you're not known for bars and you delivery, then that'll bode well for the song.
  • Content: Does the song have any substance?
  • Beat: Is the beat hard? Is the beat beautiful? Do I want to listen to it again?
  • Enjoyable: Is it infectious? Typically mainstream songs perform well here.

My grading scale is proving to be HARD to get a passing grade on the traditionally grading system. I wanted that so if you see a classic grade, then trust me, it's a classic. I know some people think albums I got in the upper 80% are classic. So keep that in mind.

>%: Classic
90%: A- Amazing
80%: B- Brilliant
70%: C- Cold
60%: D- Decent
50%: F- fukking Disappointing (might not be for me)
<%: Tridddidash (Not For ME)

I'm consistent, unbiased and objective. You WILL be pissed, you might be on board, but just give it a chance as projects start to come in for the year.

I ran thru about 150 projects last year, and I have a top 25 that seems accurate based on what I was hearing. I found gems and wasn't surprised some projects didn't grade as high as the public perceived it since it's more of a popularity contest now.

Here is the Beta list.

2018 B.A.R.S. (1st Listen Edition)
HBojxJ0.png

My goal is to not miss a project in 2019. So I'll need your support by putting me on to upcoming projects. I missed more than I wanted to miss in 2018. So tag me, comment, whatever.:feedme:

Go ahead and follow this Spotify playlist 2019 B.A.R.S. (1st Listen Edition) Top Songs for my top songs of 2019 so far. I'll be adding stand out songs from every project I listen to this year. updated 03/10/2019

2019 B.A.R.S. (1st Listen Edition) as of 03/10/2019
L1D6KRL.png

ZuP60yn.png

EtFA1dm.png

U9pNKLZ.png

mKVMknb.png
I hope you appreciate the work I'm putting in. I found I love doing this, so it really isn't work then. Love it or hate it, Thanks for taking the time to chime in :salute:

Last edited:

LEEeveryday

The-Coli Music Critic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LyricsMatter
Review the God Fahims new project. do it. now.

Breh :wow:

source.gif

Tha God Fahim: Soul Dust
Grade: 73.33%

I need him to put this on Spotify so I can add the following heat to my 2019 playlist
  • Dawgs N Bullets
  • I'm Bout My Break Like Tha Earths Crust
  • You Can't Have It All
  • Hoodstarz
  • More John Blaze

LEEeveryday

The-Coli Music Critic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LyricsMatter
U got Locksmith and Apollo Brown at number 3
:salute:
And s/o for Lordy by Nature, shyt was:fire:

All criminally underrated. These projects is what really made me want to really listen to EVERYTHING and do something like this. Nobody would mention these artist. Hopefully I can shine light on the unsung artist putting out fire.