Baldur's Gate 3 'Isn't Going to be on Game Pass', Insists Larian Boss

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Selling the physical copy likes its a collectors item, the game should have launched on physical media.
SMH
Explain how.
The game size is bigger than a single disc could manage.
You trying to get an 'Insert Disc 3' pop-up like it's OG FFVII?

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Explain how.
The game size is bigger than a single disc could manage.
You trying to get an 'Insert Disc 3' pop-up like it's OG FFVII?
Exploain how a fukking game is printed on physical media?
Are you retarded?

Its easy, you break the game into 3 different discs, install the contents on the hard drive, like you would do via a download, except you physically have the disc, and once all 3 discs are installed, you load the game and play, like you do now via download.

shyt isn't rocket science or new.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Exploain how a fukking game is printed on physical media?
Are you retarded?

Its easy, you break the game into 3 different discs, install the contents on the hard drive, like you would do via a download, except you physically have the disc, and once all 3 discs are installed, you load the game and play, like you do now via download.

shyt isn't rocket science or new.
So your logic is to add not insignificant cost to production just to... copy the files to your system and not use the discs at all while playing the game off the SSD.

So the discs are a keepsake.

So... them selling the discs like keepsakes... makes sense? Gotcha.

You can be pro-physical media all you want. The industry clearly is not. Half the systems this game is being played on don't have disc drives. The primary system this game was made for - PC - largely don't have optical drives at all. So you're upset they aren't catering to a fraction of a fraction of their playerbase for this game who want the physical media. :francis:

Being openly hostile to people asking for logistics behind something that would simply add cost while doing absolutely nothing for the actual play of the game seems a little self-defeating to getting anyone else on your side about this. But do you.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
They are still self publishing the game, and the majority of its sales are on pc. It makes sense to me
No hard copies of games is the norm for PC as well as consoles.

How that shyt slid tells me the stupidity of the a g consumer. Down to idiots in this thread asking how a game can be sold on multiple disc as if it was new or a technical constraint.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
So your logic is to add not insignificant cost to production just to... copy the files to your system and not use the discs at all while playing the game off the SSD.

So the discs are a keepsake.

So... them selling the discs like keepsakes... makes sense? Gotcha.

You can be pro-physical media all you want. The industry clearly is not. Half the systems this game is being played on don't have disc drives. The primary system this game was made for - PC - largely don't have optical drives at all. So you're upset they aren't catering to a fraction of a fraction of their playerbase for this game who want the physical media. :francis:

Being openly hostile to people asking for logistics behind something that would simply add cost while doing absolutely nothing for the actual play of the game seems a little self-defeating to getting anyone else on your side about this. But do you.
Printing a game is insignificant compared to the development

They don't even have to make a pamphlet, it would arguably be the digital assets, like the cover art physically printed.

The paying for a disc to be printed is pennies dollars less than 2 dollars at most. Since they Re indy they would only have to add the cost to the physical price. None of this shyt is. Ew or complicated.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Right, but it's Xbox gamers who were hoping for BG3 on Game Pass.
I mean people hope for a lot of stuff but that game will be old as hell when it goes to Game Pass. Companies like that have zero reason to step into Microsoft’s walled garden. Now if it flopped yeah they would have took that check and put it on there.

I don’t even think they’ve put that game on a discount yet in general.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Printing a game is insignificant compared to the development

They don't even have to make a pamphlet, it would arguably be the digital assets, like the cover art physically printed.

The paying for a disc to be printed is pennies dollars less than 2 dollars at most. Since they Re indy they would only have to add the cost to the physical price. None of this shyt is. Ew or complicated.
:snoop:

90% of their sales were on PC through Steam.
There is no physical media on Steam.
They created an option to get these keepsake discs if people wanted them. Mass-producing e-waste would be nonsensical. This is a studio that had to halt production on this game THREE TIMES because of flooding in their offices. They worked on this for 4 years as an independent studio and the final release build of the game wasn't finalized until days before release.
So explain to me when they were meant to pop up the money to rush order a massive quantity of discs no one fukking asked for? Because they would have had to do it last minute.

Then you run into needing to produce enough for demand or risk turning away potential customers.

Gaming PCs don't have disc drives. It's a PC-primary game.

Just say you're upset because you wanted a little disc to put into your console and let it die. This is stupid. Console was always secondary. DOS 1/2 didn't come out on console for ages after release, that it came out on PS5 as soon as it did at all was shocking. Expecting them to adhere to practices most console releases aren't even bothering with is obtuse.

The disc version is what they are selling it as - a collector's item. It isn't for practical use. Even the one you'd get from this order wouldn't be playable without 100+ GB update downloads, which, at that point... just download the fukking game.

Rage against the dying of the light for the sake of blu-ray discs all you want. But you're wrong in thinking everyone wanted discs for games that are too goddamned big to contain on one of them anyway. You can't even play the game off a disc because the read/write is too goddamned slow for the information quantity needed to maintain smooth gameplay. Crying about them not giving you circles of plastic is dinosaur logic.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
:snoop:

90% of their sales were on PC through Steam.
There is no physical media on Steam.
They created an option to get these keepsake discs if people wanted them. Mass-producing e-waste would be nonsensical. This is a studio that had to halt production on this game THREE TIMES because of flooding in their offices. They worked on this for 4 years as an independent studio and the final release build of the game wasn't finalized until days before release.
So explain to me when they were meant to pop up the money to rush order a massive quantity of discs no one fukking asked for? Because they would have had to do it last minute.

Then you run into needing to produce enough for demand or risk turning away potential customers.

Gaming PCs don't have disc drives. It's a PC-primary game.

Just say you're upset because you wanted a little disc to put into your console and let it die. This is stupid. Console was always secondary. DOS 1/2 didn't come out on console for ages after release, that it came out on PS5 as soon as it did at all was shocking. Expecting them to adhere to practices most console releases aren't even bothering with is obtuse.

The disc version is what they are selling it as - a collector's item. It isn't for practical use. Even the one you'd get from this order wouldn't be playable without 100+ GB update downloads, which, at that point... just download the fukking game.

Rage against the dying of the light for the sake of blu-ray discs all you want. But you're wrong in thinking everyone wanted discs for games that are too goddamned big to contain on one of them anyway. You can't even play the game off a disc because the read/write is too goddamned slow for the information quantity needed to maintain smooth gameplay. Crying about them not giving you circles of plastic is dinosaur logic.
Lol, they only sold that shyt via online only except for Japan , telling me how successful it was digitally is beyond retarded and shows again the stupidity of you modern gamers.

The point is simple kid, every game bought needs to have a physical copy in the event you want to resell or play offline or play on a different console.
Period

Stop making excuses for why you are getting fukked around by developers.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Lol, they only sold that shyt via online only except for Japan , telling me how successful it was digitally is beyond retarded and shows again the stupidity of you modern gamers.

The point is simple kid, every game bought needs to have a physical copy in the event you want to resell or play offline or play on a different console.
Period

the irony of you crying about this in a thread about the game not going on gamepass - a service that fundamentally lacks physical media - is not lost on me.

You don't get to pull the 'elder statesman, back in my day, look here kid' shyt with someone whose first console was an Atari. I have more time on this planet over 18 than under it. Trying to little bro someone who knows what the fukk they're talking about don't work when I'm not your little bro. And especially when you are so catastrophically incorrect. You continue to show your hand that this all is just a big 'I want consoles to be like they used to be' bytchfest.

I don't give a fukk if you console players want physical media.
If you want it, buy that version. It's 10 dollars more than the base price. It's right there for you. Go buy it.
Trying to demand that a company has to make that the standard because your arbitrary preferences when that isn't how the industry is, and the console version of the game is secondary as fukk to them is dumb.
Especially when it would just add cost that has to be abated by the people who don't give a fukk about a disc and are just fine going on Steam to buy the game.

Like I did.
In 2019.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Period

You might want to get used to games not having physical releases or limited physical releases because it will only get worse from here on out. Physical releases have too much overhead for the cost when the overwhelming majority of people are only buying digital games.

More and more games will end up skipping physical releases. Just this year 2 major GOTY candidates in this and Alan Wake 2 skipped them.

It just works better for the publishers and retail stores don’t hold the clout they used to anymore. All these success stories of major critically acclaimed games skipping physical are bound to accelerate it.

I think the most likely short term result is super expensive collectors editions being the only physical releases of some games.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
You might want to get used to games not having physical releases or limited physical releases because it will only get worse from here on out. Physical releases have too much overhead for the cost when the overwhelming majority of people are only buying digital games.

More and more games will end up skipping physical releases. Just this year 2 major GOTY candidates in this and Alan Wake 2 skipped them.

It just works better for the publishers and retail stores don’t hold the clout they used to anymore. All these success stories of major critically acclaimed games skipping physical are bound to accelerate it.

I think the most likely short term result is super expensive collectors editions being the only physical releases of some games.
No I won't get used to it.
Again dumb ass customers like yourself who don't punish these companies for their anti consumer practices is why everything is fukked up now.

I'm glad I got most of the TV shows I like on DVD box sets, soon you idiots won't own a damn ounce of the media you enjoy and they will take that shyt away or modify it and make you buy it again because you are largely stupid and lazy