Baldur's Gate 3 'Isn't Going to be on Game Pass', Insists Larian Boss

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Mans just burst in the thread throwing hostility hither and yon like nikkas with PCs don't know how to save files
Got fittyleven DVDs scattered all over the place when they could all be file ripped and put on a single HDD :mjlol:
Meanwhile, this is still a thread about... *checks topic* oh yes. GOTY not going to Gamepass because of course it wouldn't :mjlol:

Never change, Arcadium. Not never

GrudgeBooty

Rookie
Daps
No I won't get used to it.
Again dumb ass customers like yourself who don't punish these companies for their anti consumer practices is why everything is fukked up now.
Why you gotta call the man a dumbass? He was polite and respectful to you, meanie!

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
No I won't get used to it.
Again dumb ass customers like yourself who don't punish these companies for their anti consumer practices is why everything is fukked up now.

I'm glad I got most of the TV shows I like on DVD box sets, soon you idiots won't own a damn ounce of the media you enjoy and they will take that shyt away or modify it and make you buy it again because you are largely stupid and lazy
I don't value any TV show or movie enough to own it. That sort of media is disposable to me. I don't rewatch much of anything ever so I don't need to own it. The video games I value I own physical copies of. All that other stuff can go for all I care because I don't.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
the only company dumb enough to put big games day one on a sub service is microsoft
Granted you say this now but if tomorrow Sony flipped a switch and all their content was added to Premium I highly doubt you'd be like this is dumb as hell they need to stop and cancel your sub.

Even Sony wouldn't rule out doing it at some point in the future. When Extra and Premium were coming out and asked about it they basically said that's not something we're doing right now but never say never.

Microsoft reinvigorated their company to one of the most profitable in the world off subscription models. It's just what they do.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
And subs aren’t increasing
They're only going to grow so much on indie titles, old games, flops, and Forza every year. The subs won't increase until there is software output from Microsoft to increase them. Right now Game Pass isn't a worthwhile product for the masses.
Yeah, just like when nintendo and valve do it.
Valve is essentially a middleman for a PC marketplace. They don't have the software output to support a subscription service. Nintendo is experimenting with a subscription service but I doubt they go all in on it because they don't embrace forward thinking like that. Also with Nintendo their core audience are kids and families which is a category of some media on a subscription service not the whole thing.

You just think it's stupid because you have a different paradigm. You see the game as the final product. On a subscription service the service itself is the product not any individual piece of content on it. People aren't subbing to services for a single piece of content.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You just think it's stupid because you have a different paradigm. You see the game as the final product. On a subscription service the service itself is the product not any individual piece of content on it. People aren't subbing to services for a single piece of content.

We really aren’t seeing people interested in sub services, period. Even with video the only one really doing great is Netflix, which is why discovery/hbo, paramount, peacock, and others are starting to license their content out to netflix now.

The idea of a casual gamer being interested in gamepass is just never going to happen. Those people play F2P and annual sports titles mostly, like you said a bunch of indie games, retro stuff, and just AIGHT first party titles ain’t really going to lead to mass adoption.

For core gamers that are already spending a ton of money on games, you need big 3rd party games to make it worth it for them. Gamepass ain’t really going to satisfy a lot of peoples gaming appetites when stuff like GTA, Elden Ring, Alan Wake 2, Resident Evil, Baldurs Gate, etc. etc. are still launching outside of subs, not to mention other platforms better first party offerings.

There will never be a day when microsofts first party is large and frequent enough to make gamepass worth it to even twice the amount of users they currently have. Thats the reality

Microsoft misjudged the interest for subs and cloud because of the streaming boom at the time

Last edited:

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
It was a weird question for IGN to ask because nobody thought a game that successful would launch on gamepass. Xbox fans did show it though because the game is #1 on the xbox digital store, which is an amazing performance due to winter sale is active and COD recently launched.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
the only company that can finance putting big games day one on a sub service is microsoft

We really aren’t seeing people interested in sub services, period. Even with video the only one really doing great is Netflix, which is why discovery/hbo, paramount, peacock, and others are starting to license their content out to netflix now.

The idea of a casual gamer being interested in gamepass is just never going to happen. Those people play F2P and annual sports titles mostly, like you said a bunch of indie games, retro stuff, and just AIGHT first party titles ain’t really going to lead to mass adoption.

For core gamers that are already spending a ton of money on games, you need big 3rd party games to make it worth it for them. Gamepass ain’t really going to satisfy a lot of peoples gaming appetites when stuff like GTA, Elden Ring, Alan Wake 2, Resident Evil, Baldurs Gate, etc. etc. are still launching outside of subs, not to mention other platforms better first party offerings.

There will never be a day when microsofts first party is large and frequent enough to make gamepass worth it to even twice the amount of users they currently have. Thats the reality

Microsoft misjudged the interest for subs and cloud because of the streaming boom at the time
First you say people aren't interested in sub services. You who subscribe to a subscription service from Sony and have a thread on it posting about it say this. Then after saying people aren't interested you imply under certain conditions it could work if certain games were on it.

You have a position on this and you aren't unbiased. You obviously don't want this to work and you're working backwards from that position to construct arguments.

This absolutely could work and people would want it. The problem is outside of Microsoft the industry itself does not see that model as desirable. The industry's business model isn't built to support it either.

Your final argument is actually closer to the truth than anything. The real problem with the Game Pass business model is the company pushing it doesn't seem to have the combination of vision and talent to make it work. They need to create popular quality games that go viral and get people to want to play them. Xbox has been around 20+ years and struggled to do that. You can't furnish this service with Starfield and Redfall level games and expect it to work. You need games of the quality level of Baldurs Gate. Microsoft hasn't put out industry leading games in a very long time. Even when they did it was just Halo for a period.

Microsoft is both the best and worst company to push this idea. The best because they have the capital to make it work and the worst because Xbox leadership has historically never been great at incubating great dev teams that make popular industry leading games over a long term. Microsoft has like 50 studios. Their first party is large enough to make it work. The problem is making it work requires something Microsoft has historically not been great at doing.

It probably does fail but not for your reasons but because leadership is too incompetent to put it all together. This day 1 list is not a list of games that captures the attention on main stream gamers.