Bernie Sanders Explains Koch Brothers "Agenda" w/ no Flinching (Video)

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
You originally said

So are we talking about "people like the Koch bros" or no? Your issue with Bernie's tax proposals isn't that it hits people who "don't even own the means of production or get the bulk of their income/wealth from capital gains," it's that you perceive them as persecuting the ruling class. :mjlol:
Both. They are 2 separate points.

"Punitive arbitrary redistribution?" :heh:

The increased revenue would be going toward social programs that strengthen people's security and opportunity (or are intended to). Debating the merits of a social program is fine, as is debating where spending should be directed.
Says who? There is no guarantee or any instances in American history where marginal rate hike revenues went to social programs, and actually many if not all social program taxes are regressive.

If I was avoid confrontation, I would be letting you kick nonsense freely without saying anything. :martin:

I don't care about being divisive. I'm not trying to bring about unity between the exploited and exploiters.

The difference is that the right's rhetoric serves to reinforce and extend the power of the ruling class.
If your plan to build working class wealth is to extract it through transfer payments from the ruling class, you too are reinforcing and extending their power. If money is power, the way to enable workers to get it is to enable them to earn and save it, not through redistribution.

Transfer payments are not the wave. You want the working class to have more power, here is a laundry list of better ways to do it:
  • Pull the wool off of all the cronyism and corporate pay for play lobbyist nonsense- easily the biggest issue regarding worker negotiating weakness
  • Give workers more leverage to negotiate with employers for things like pay and profit sharing.
  • Universal healthcare (paid for by payroll tax if employees opt in)
  • Public child care (paid for by payroll tax- easily doable since many moms quit working because of child care costs)
  • Create tuition free public universities
  • Create programs to facilitate job training and job mobility
Etc. etc. I agree that the tax code needs work, particularly capital gains tax.... capital gains should be taxed like regular income. But again, that tax code wouldn't have changed if cronyism and pay for play politics weren't par for the course in Washington. So like I've said many times in the past, income inequality is A problem, but it's far from THE problem workers are facing. Dealing with the costs eating up workers' paychecks and limiting/eliminating the influence of big money in Washington seems like a far more productive strategy to that goal; however as I've also said in the past worker's power is just a cover redistributionists use to push their true agenda.

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
Both. They are 2 separate points.

Says who? There is no guarantee or any instances in American history where marginal rate hike revenues went to social programs, and actually many if not all social program taxes are regressive.

If your plan to build working class wealth is to extract it through transfer payments from the ruling class, you too are reinforcing and extending their power. If money is power, the way to enable workers to get it is to enable them to earn and save it, not through redistribution.

Transfer payments are not the wave. You want the working class to have more power, here is a laundry list of better ways to do it:
  • Pull the wool off of all the cronyism and corporate pay for play lobbyist nonsense- easily the biggest issue regarding worker negotiating weakness
  • Give workers more leverage to negotiate with employers for things like pay and profit sharing.
  • Universal healthcare (paid for by payroll tax if employees opt in)
  • Public child care (paid for by payroll tax- easily doable since many moms quit working because of child care costs)
  • Create tuition free public universities
  • Create programs to facilitate job training and job mobility
Etc. etc. I agree that the tax code needs work, particularly capital gains tax.... capital gains should be taxed like regular income. But again, that tax code wouldn't have changed if cronyism and pay for play politics weren't par for the course in Washington. So like I've said many times in the past, income inequality is A problem, but it's far from THE problem workers are facing. Dealing with the costs eating up workers' paychecks and limiting/eliminating the influence of big money in Washington seems like a far more productive strategy to that goal; however as I've also said in the past worker's power is just a cover redistributionists use to push their true agenda.

To be clear, I'm not even trying to :cape:for government programs too much. They are merely band-aids. I am not a reformist, so in general, these programs are not anything I perceive as a "plan to build working class wealth."

Do you have a source for social program taxes being regressive?

I agree that income inequality is a problem, not the problem. It is an endemic feature of capitalism and is a symptom of the system. Redistributionist programs are a way of dancing around that and making it more palatable to people.