Bishop Lamont was suppose to be Kendrick Lamar...

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
That Beats video really shows why he got dropped. Lamont is a clown, he's not serious, he says a lot of off color shyt that pisses profesionalists like Dre off. Compare him to Kendrick, who stays in pocket and works hard nonstop. Also Bishop just didn't have the records to justify a major Interscope push

(based on some shyt I've heard from an A&R)
:what: It worked for Eminem didn't it??

California Burrito

Slangin' Chorizo
Daps
Reppin
619, CA
Grow Up is a classic in my opinion.

he got laced with incredible beats, i dont know but the music was never that great. maybe it wasnt mastered well enough, maybe i just wasn't feelin it like that

he got laced on those tapes, he had an opportunity. imo he blew it cause grow up is the only truly great song he ever had

incredible beats indeed. bishops mixtapes had better production then most rappers major album releases. the guy had beats from dr. dre, dj khalil, nottz, focus, scott storch, tha bizness, jake one, 9th wonder.... are you fukking kidding me!?!?:mindblown:

focus on the beat :noah:

classic bishop track over khalil production :wow:

Last edited by a moderator:

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Em is a hard worker though. Dude is nearly as professional as Dre in the studio. Bishop is not.
I heard Bishop was grindin' in the studio constantly. He wasn't the ungrateful lazy fukk up type. He knew the opportunity that was placed before him

-lets just say Em knew his style better and how he wanted to come out and present himself to the public than Bishop. Just like 50 Cent and The Game too. they had more charisma, style and backstory

TrapHouse Rock

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
incredible beats indeed. bishops mixtapes had better production then most rappers major album releases. the guy had beats from dr. dre, dj khalil, nottz, focus, scott storch, tha bizness, jake one, 9th wonder.... are you fukking kidding me!?!?:mindblown:

Bishop Lamont - Klansmen (Prod. By Focus) - YouTube
focus on the beat :noah:

Bishop Lamont ft The New Royales - Can't Figure It Out (Produced by DJ Khalil) - YouTube
classic bishop track over khalil production :wow:

i still don't think the music made over these incredible beats was even that good. i dont think the songs ended up being great outside of the occasional few. the songs you posted are good choices though as far as solid songs.

he blew his chance in my opinion. game took that opportunity and pretty much ran with it when he got it and has still turned it into a viable career 7 years down the line.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I heard Bishop was grindin' in the studio constantly. He wasn't the ungrateful lazy fukk up type. He knew the opportunity that was placed before him

-lets just say Em knew his style better and how he wanted to come out and present himself to the public than Bishop. Just like 50 Cent and The Game too. they had more charisma, style and backstory

Grinding in the studio doesn't equal hard work. Wayne spends a lot of time in the studio too, banging out repetitive records and just throwing verses on beats. From what I've heard Bishop was just in there doing the same shyt over and over, was not growing as an artist, wasn't taking advice, and when it came time to put in work with Dre he wasn't holding his own.

Snoop has a history of being super lazy in the studio, but Dre puts up with it because he recognized Dre+Snoop is always a winning combo. If he doesn't believe in you, he won't put up with that shyt breh. Same reason he doesn't do much with 50 anymore - they've gone in opposite directions musically and 50 has little interest in diversifying outside of gangster pop rap

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Grinding in the studio doesn't equal hard work. Wayne spends a lot of time in the studio too, banging out repetitive records and just throwing verses on beats. From what I've heard Bishop was just in there doing the same shyt over and over, was not growing as an artist, wasn't taking advice, and when it came time to put in work with Dre he wasn't holding his own.

Snoop has a history of being super lazy in the studio, but Dre puts up with it because he recognized Dre+Snoop is always a winning combo. If he doesn't believe in you, he won't put up with that shyt breh. Same reason he doesn't do much with 50 anymore - they've gone in opposite directions musically and 50 has little interest in diversifying outside of gangster pop rap
All you're basically talkin' about is Talent breh. Em is simply more talented than Bishop. That's all. Bishop was in that studio putting in work, tryin' to come with lyrics and concepts, pullin' all nighters and whatnot. They just wasn't hot as the next man's music. Everybody tries to paint that "lazy" tag on every rapper that did blow. Stop it. Trust me nikkas be in the studio night and day wit it. If they got studio time then they're definitely in there. But in the end its different levels of talent.

Da Jungles

CBALL
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MUSIC
Dre comes up with an image/lane first, then just plugs a rapper into it. If it doesn't work, he'll just toss the rapper in the bushes and find a new one :yeshrug:

Not understanding this.

Those that did work already had their lane. Like Em

Day_Walker

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:dj2:
anyone got a cdq mp3 link. The mp3 converter site doesn't work for that song for some reason.

Clem

Get out my way, pimpin'.
Daps
Reppin
California
n/h but I've heard a few cats even say that one of the problems was that Bishop didn't have "a look or style" about himself. He was just a big nicca in a white tee

:laugh: I'd argue that this accounts for damn near half of all rappers.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
wait...wasn't he in the whole mix about leaking detox records too? unless i'm trippin i'm sure that had something to do with him getting thrown in the bushes

i seem to remember him being talking a lot of shyt during that time period and there being a big controversy and his name getting thrown in the pot as to who might have had motive to leak records

Los Angeles

The Fukk U Lay That Down
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
that confessional tape was fukking hot

this is one of the hottest shyt i ever heard

Funcrusher

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What was the tape? I know he re released "Pope Mobile" on iTunes?

Bishop Lamont - The Layover Hosted by DJ Woogie // Free Mixtape @ DatPiff.com

There might be higher quality on Dubcnn though.

But seriously though, I never really complained about the Reformation not dropping, because he basically dropped 3 albums on Aftermath. Production and guests were all grade A shyt, no dj, and actual themes. Basically the same theme Game ran with on Jesus Piece.

My ideal Detox guestwise would be Bishop, Game, Kendrick and Snoop. (and Nate Dogg :to: )

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
I think laying vocals and putting out Grow Up was the last straw for Dre. Glad he did, but that was supposedly a beat for Marsha Ambrosious