Blackest Cities in Latin America

NoirDynosaur

Yurrrrrrrrrr
Daps
Reppin
Planet Earth
Cuajinicuilapa, Mexico.

With 2.5 million Afro-descendants, Mexico has the fourth largest Afro-descendant population in Latin America, behind Brazil, Venezuela and Colombia.

As we previously reported in January 2022, Cuajinicuilapa, which sits in the Costa Chica region, is one of several regions in Mexico with the highest population of people of African descent, with an estimated 229,661 Afro-Mexicans.

Some history and contributions made by those of African descent can be found in the Museo de las Culturas Afromestizas.

Salvador, Brasil

Salvador, also known as Salvador da Bahia, is a city in northeastern Brazil and the capital of the state of Bahia. It is known for its rich Afro-Brazilian culture, historic architecture, and vibrant music and dance scene. The city has a significant historical importance, as it was the first capital of Brazil from 1549 to 1763.

Some notable attractions in Salvador include Pelourinho, a UNESCO World Heritage site with colorful colonial architecture, the Bonfim Church, the Elevador Lacerda (Lacerda Elevator), and the Mercado Modelo (Model Market). The city is also famous for its lively Carnival celebration, which is one of the largest in the world.

Esmeraldas, Ecuador​

With a population of roughly 650,000 people, of which 70% of its inhabitants are Afro-Ecuadorians, Esmeraldas is said to be the land of Afro-Ecuadorians.

Ecuador’s Esmeraldas maintain the cuisine, culture, and particularities of many African countries. Also, the city is home to breathtaking landscapes, with outstanding beaches.

Havana, Cuba

Havana is a city that amazes travelers as soon as they arrive. Even if you are staying in a five-star hotel in an upscale area of the city, you will have to pass through the Havana Vieja neighborhood, where many Afro-Cubans are located.

It is estimated that Havana has 38% of Afro-descendants (Black and Brown) people.

Havana’s food has a strong African influence. If you want something very typical, try the congri, which is a mixture of cooked rice and beans, all together.

Rumba music and Santeria (Afro-Cuban religion) also remark Havana as one of the Blackest cities in Latin America.

One of the places to visit in Havana is The Museo Casa da África (House Museum of Africa) located on Calle Mercaderes in the historic center of Havana, La Habana Vieja. This museum displays several collections of African objects, being the only one in the country.

Colon Panama

Located on Panama’s Caribbean Sea, Isla Cólon is the Blackest city in the country. Afro-Panamanians constitute nearly 48% of the community of Isla Cólon.

With stunning landscapes, world-class beaches, and beautiful and diverse fauna and flora, the presence of Afro-Panamanians has enriched the history of the country.

Cartagena, Colombia

Cartagena is the second most important city on the Colombian Caribbean Coast, with the highest relative representation of Afro-Colombians among the 15 main Colombian cities.

With a population of nearly 200,000 African descendants, Cartagena offers vibrant Afro-Colombian tourism with history, culture and gastronomy as well as astonishing landscapes.

Major US Airlines provides daily direct flights from the US to Colombia.

Quibdo, Choco, Colombia

Tumaco, Colombia

The city has a diverse cultural and ethnic makeup, with influences from Afro-Colombian, indigenous, and mestizo (mixed-race) populations. Tumaco is also recognized for its rich biodiversity and natural resources.

Livingston, Guatemala

Roatan, Honduras

Since 1797, the Garifuna have found a refuge in Roatan and along the coast of Honduras. The Garifuna people first came to Punta Gorda, Roatan, Honduras as they fled from Slavery from Spanish and British rule. The first Garifuna came from Yurime, which is a small region of St. Vincent Island.

Santiago, Cuba
santiago-de-cuba-main-street.jpg

Loiza, Puerto Rico

A few minutes outside of San Juan and just past touristy Isla Verde is the town of Loíza. It's best known for its traditional vejigante masks (folklore characters seen in Puerto Rican festivals) and the beachside community of Piñones, where you can get some of the best fritters in the region.

But what makes Loíza distinct from any other part of Puerto Rico is the rich African heritage that permeates its identity. The town was settled in the 16th century by members of the Yoruba tribe who were brought to the Island as slaves. Nowadays, most of the music, dance, culinary traditions, and art within Loíza is Afro-Puerto Rican. It also has the largest Black population of any town on the Island.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
That's how much vacation time u get?
:heh:

Walmart is wrong for that

Yeah that's what a lot of companies be on, 10 days vacation. Gotta work 5 years minimum to get 15.:hhh: My company now is cool, my shyt rolls over.

And Walmart you don't get shyt. But if folks comfy working there, who am i to judge?:manny:

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H
Yeah that's what a lot of companies be on, 10 days vacation. Gotta work 5 years minimum to get 15.:hhh: My company now is cool, my shyt rolls over.

And Walmart you don't get shyt. But if folks comfy working there, who am i to judge?:manny:
W

Where do you live breh?
Most companies give you a week of paid vacation after 90 days

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
No Santo Domingo? :dahell:
Major city not considered Black. The dominican stereotpe of Me no Black Papi kinda is a thiing in the DR but generally speaking the average person especially not from Santiago has some Black ancestry. That being said I'm sure you could go along the Haitian border and most of the people there are Black.

However the historic Black town is Samana

The people there have FBA lineage.