Brehs, what are your opinions on the current big name review sites?

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
IGN.com
Gamespot.com
Polygon.com etc.

Do you think they are biased?

Do you think they give out fair reviews?

Does the banner and ad money go to their heads?

Would an unbiased, nonpaid review site ever get big?

:jbhmm:

I read their reviews and watch youtube/twitch for gameplay but the undercurrent of "Was this guy paid to say that" always gets to me.

Side bonus: Where are all the black game journalists at? Same white dudes everywhere:dwillhuh:

be back in a bit

All Star
Daps
They will basically overrate any WRPG or open world game because they have a lot of content and "value". Same for multiplayer shooters. But if you keep that in mind, reviews are a useful tool for dodging bad games and finding the good ones.

It is a mystery

Tory Lanez Stan
Daps
What's not to love about big name review sites?
Review embargoes? :smugcudi:
Cheques changing scores? :smugcudi:
Extortion by gaming companies via ad space money for good reviews?:smugcudi:
Game developers BUSTING IT OPEN for good reviews and press? :smugcudi:
After Kane & Lynch that garbage was bushes status and it only got worse in modern times. I only trust a couple youtube channels where I know the person will be honest and easy allies because they at least give you enough detail on the game and make the video interesting enough that even if you are suspicious of their final verdict it doesn't matter

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All I can say is i rarely browse those sites because they feel like they crossed over into "general media" vs strictly gaming. Some game reviews feel like you are reading the rantings of a dude who owns every version of CoD on consoles and now considers himself a gamer(he is, but there are levels.)

When the gamespy network died(shout out to planethalflife and planetquake), I stopped reading reviews.
Steam is where I get most of my games nowadays if I buy something, so user reviews are more than enough for me.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
It all depends on the person reading the review.
If you take reviews as gospel you'll end up wasting money on mediocre games, and missing out on some hidden gems.
I've been gaming long enough to where I don't need a review to justify a purchase. I can pretty much tell whether or not I'm gonna like a game before playing it. I haven't regretted a video game purchase in years.

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
I don't like most of them anymore.

They are mostly jaded hipsters with reactionary reviews.

Unfortunately most user reviews are like this too.

I watch gameplay vid's and let's plays and a few youtubers I trust instead.

Or I'll redbox a game and give it a day or two if I'm on the fence.

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
the only place i go to for news/reviews is gamingilluminaughty.com/ :ehh:
they also put out the latest music in hip-hop its a pro black gaming news website which is rare these days:francis:

How do you know it's pro black gaming though :ohhh:

Like, I wonder how they sustain themselves (besides ads)

Pro black anything is never popular, least not $$$ popular. Is there truly a niche for this?

I want a black site to be as big as IGN or Gamespot. and unbiased. Blow those dorito pandering dudes out of the water.

Malik1time

What you looking at?
Daps
Reppin
Queens
How do you know it's pro black gaming though :ohhh:

Like, I wonder how they sustain themselves (besides ads)

Pro black anything is never popular, least not $$$ popular. Is there truly a niche for this?

I want a black site to be as big as IGN or Gamespot. and unbiased. Blow those dorito pandering dudes out of the water.
they keep it 100.check them out breh The Black Hokage this link is to the leader bascailly he all no bullshyt and keeps its real with games
Gaming illuminaughty this one is their main hub they tryna be as big as ign:ehh:,they going to e3 they doing interviews:ehh:, support black people:blessed: