Can police legally obtain your DNA from 23andMe, Ancestry?

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
Trying to unravel the mystery of your genetics through programs like 23andMe.com or Ancestry.com can also help police unravel a criminal investigation.

That saliva sample sent to those genetic testing companies with the purpose of learning more about your ancestral history doesn’t just belong to you.

With a warrant, it can also belong to law enforcement, company officials say.

With the genetic information it gets from the organizations, police can identify suspects in a criminal, credit or identity theft investigation. So far, officials have requested information for five U.S. 23andMe customers, according to the company’s website.

So far, 23andMe has not turned over any genetic information, but would do so on a case-by-case basis, 23andMe privacy officer Kate Black told WJAX. Both 23andMe and Ancestry include warnings within their privacy policies.

“We try to make information available on the website in various forms … through Frequently Asked Questions, through information in our privacy center,” Black said.

According to Ancestry’s website, the company “requires valid legal process in order to produce information about our users. We comply with legitimate requests in accordance with applicable law.”

In 2016 the company received numerous requests from police requesting the DNA of its users, but only nine were in compliance with the law, El Nuevo Herald reported. Out of those nine, Ancestry shared information with eight government agencies, all related to the improper use of credit cards and identity theft, according to its Transparency Report.

The genetic testing companies will notify users of law enforcement requests only if it doesn’t compromise an investigation.

But whether you’ve used the services or not, police can still identify you if a family member used one of the genetic testing tools through “familial matching.”

“They can see what the likelihood is of these certain alleles, of these genetic markers, matching up” to determine the “likelihood of whether you were involved in, let’s say, that criminal activity or not,” genetics expert Saman Soleymani told WSB-TV.

According to Ancestry and 23andMe, the companies allow customers to delete DNA results online.

(Note: But do they remove it from their database and will law enforcement have access after deletion? :lupe:)

Daps
Trying to unravel the mystery of your genetics through programs like 23andMe.com or Ancestry.com can also help police unravel a criminal investigation.

That saliva sample sent to those genetic testing companies with the purpose of learning more about your ancestral history doesn’t just belong to you.

With a warrant, it can also belong to law enforcement, company officials say.

With the genetic information it gets from the organizations, police can identify suspects in a criminal, credit or identity theft investigation. So far, officials have requested information for five U.S. 23andMe customers, according to the company’s website.

So far, 23andMe has not turned over any genetic information, but would do so on a case-by-case basis, 23andMe privacy officer Kate Black told WJAX. Both 23andMe and Ancestry include warnings within their privacy policies.

“We try to make information available on the website in various forms … through Frequently Asked Questions, through information in our privacy center,” Black said.

According to Ancestry’s website, the company “requires valid legal process in order to produce information about our users. We comply with legitimate requests in accordance with applicable law.”

In 2016 the company received numerous requests from police requesting the DNA of its users, but only nine were in compliance with the law, El Nuevo Herald reported. Out of those nine, Ancestry shared information with eight government agencies, all related to the improper use of credit cards and identity theft, according to its Transparency Report.

The genetic testing companies will notify users of law enforcement requests only if it doesn’t compromise an investigation.

But whether you’ve used the services or not, police can still identify you if a family member used one of the genetic testing tools through “familial matching.”

“They can see what the likelihood is of these certain alleles, of these genetic markers, matching up” to determine the “likelihood of whether you were involved in, let’s say, that criminal activity or not,” genetics expert Saman Soleymani told WSB-TV.

According to Ancestry and 23andMe, the companies allow customers to delete DNA results online.

(Note: But do they remove it from their database and will law enforcement have access after deletion? :lupe:)

This with the impending use of data science to "predict" crime is the future of policing...Scary.

RadaMillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, Uganda
I'll take that L too

Even though I probably will never be in a situation that requires police to identify me by DNA. Still the thought that I gave up my info willingly bothers me. Where were the coli conspiracist back then..

:mjcry:

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
the only positive is i didn't pay for mine. i got mine free because of that program they had with dr gates and needed more black participants back then to diversify and strengthen the disease research capabilities.

RadaMillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, Uganda
the only positive is i didn't pay for mine. i got mine free because of that program they had with dr gates and needed more black participants back then to diversify and strengthen the disease research capabilities.

Same here, I think it was back in 2011 when someone posted the link to the free trial back on :hamster: or was it the coli?

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
It says with a warrant. The police can get your DNA now if they have a warrant
The familial DNA searches are concerning to me. States like California and Virginia permit it while Washington DC restricts it. Black Americans are already overrepresented in criminal databases and will lead to false implications and other problems.

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
i'ma have to hold this L. i did that 23andme shyt like 6 years ago because i wanted to learn more about my history and what i'm predisposed to.
Eventually the police and other federal agencies will have backdoor access to 23andme. Then after heavy lobbying from insurance companies they will have access to genetic information, and you know what happens next. EVERYONE will have much higher insurance insurance premiums to deal with. People with anger/rage genes will have higher car insurance premiums, people who need more sleep will be fired from their trucker jobs.

None of that is unreasonable so it is very much possible in the next 7-15 years.

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
i'ma have to hold this L. i did that 23andme shyt like 6 years ago because i wanted to learn more about my history and what i'm predisposed to.
You're predisposed to stupidity. What made you trust those people? Who trusts the people who erased your history to tell you your history?

Jhoon

Daps
Eventually the police and other federal agencies will have backdoor access to 23andme. Then after heavy lobbying from insurance companies they will have access to genetic information, and you know what happens next. EVERYONE will have much higher insurance insurance premiums to deal with. People with anger/rage genes will have higher car insurance premiums, people who need more sleep will be fired from their trucker jobs.

None of that is unreasonable so it is very much possible in the next 7-15 years.
No, just poor, black, and any non-Wasp people.

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
No, just poor, black, and any non-Wasp people.
Corporations are not human, they have a fiduciary duty to make as much money as possible so they WILL exploit everyone.

Federal agencies though:mjpls:
Local law enforcement though:mjpls:

Jhoon

Daps
The familial DNA searches are concerning to me. States like California and Virginia permit it while Washington DC restricts it. Black Americans are already overrepresented in criminal databases and will lead to false implications and other problems.
What you have to be amazed with is is the fact that it’s upper middle class blacks being utterly ridiculous.