Career Advice For A Young Brother

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
Graduating undergrad with no debt thankfully and a solid gpa, but I'm trying to figure out what the best moves for me might be. Degree in econ and public policy. I'm considering gov work and eventually grad school for econ or public policy, but I'm not sure. Any advice?

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Graduating undergrad with no debt thankfully and a solid gpa, but I'm trying to figure out what the best moves for me might be. Degree in econ and public policy. I'm considering gov work and eventually grad school for econ or public policy, but I'm not sure. Any advice?
Well, you should have already locked down a job by now to be real with you. But if you can, I'd find a way to go work overseas before you're locked down.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There is a whole lot you can do, just depends on what you may be interested in.
The Federal Reserve is one of the top options for people who just have an Economics BS/BA, definitely apply there if you live anywhere near one of the 13 locations.
You could always take the CPA exam and try to get into Big 4 Accounting (though you missed out on a lot of internships), or you can try and get into iBanking as an Analyst or an Associate.
BigGov has a whole lot of Economist jobs in general, especially the Department of Treasury.
I'd definitely recommend grad school though, aim for the top schools and look at Economics MS programs as well as MS/MBA programs, which usually aren't more than a year longer, and offer you a myriad of new options for career.

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
There is a whole lot you can do, just depends on what you may be interested in.
The Federal Reserve is one of the top options for people who just have an Economics BS/BA, definitely apply there if you live anywhere near one of the 13 locations.
You could always take the CPA exam and try to get into Big 4 Accounting (though you missed out on a lot of internships), or you can try and get into iBanking as an Analyst or an Associate.
BigGov has a whole lot of Economist jobs in general, especially the Department of Treasury.
I'd definitely recommend grad school though, aim for the top schools and look at Economics MS programs as well as MS/MBA programs, which usually aren't more than a year longer, and offer you a myriad of new options for career.

I have checked out the fed a bit, the CBO, and other city level Gov jobs, but not the department of treasury yet so that is a good call. Also in terms of grad school I think I have a pretty good shot I just want to make sure I have a plan in mind before going

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Try to look into graduate school. In the fields of finance and government ( Your top two options), you'll eventually have no choice but to go to graduate school if you want to move up in your career. Might as well get it out of the way early. You don't want to be 35 and higher in graduate school. :scusthov:

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
How about investment research or something similar? What type of Econ did you specialize in (if any specific area)?
General Econ no specialization. But i have done some investment research for a pretty good private equity firm, but the environment was soul killing. People were afraid to stop and grab lunch. I'm definitely not afraid of grinding, but I thought that was a bit much and it turned me off from the financial services industry. My work/exp in public policy has been much more interesting and intriguing which is why I'm looking more so for gov work.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
General Econ no specialization. But i have done some investment research for a pretty good private equity firm, but the environment was soul killing. People were afraid to stop and grab lunch. I'm definitely not afraid of grinding, but I thought that was a bit much and it turned me off from the financial services industry. My work/exp in public policy has been much more interesting and intriguing which is why I'm looking more so for gov work.

Me and you are the same ( same major and experience). Definitely try to look into grad school man.

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
I wish it was that easy

My cousin bought a car and they offered him a job and now makes over $7000 a month :francis: