Career Advice For A Young Brother

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Did you go straight to grad school?

No I didn't, but I'm going back for January 17. I just got accepted into Fordham and Howard, so I'm trying to chose.

I personally have regrets about not going to graduate school after undergrad. I had to work and it wasn't feesible at the time, so instead of being 25 with a master's degree, I'll probably be 29 with the degree. Those four years with the master's degree could've made me move quicker up the ladder. That's why I would recommend you go to graduate school now, especially since you have no debt.

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
I
No I didn't, but I'm going back for January 17. I just got accepted into Fordham and Howard, so I'm trying to chose.

I personally have regrets about not going to graduate school after undergrad. I had to work and it wasn't feesible at the time, so instead of being 25 with a master's degree, I'll probably be 29 with the degree. Those four years with the master's degree could've made me move quicker up the ladder. That's why I would recommend you go to graduate school now, especially since you have no debt.

I plan on taking up your advice. By the time in 25 I'm going to have a masters

Deutsche Bank

Some Of My Partners Dope Fiends Ha
Daps
Reppin
Hookers & Blow
Start a tax prep service in the heart of the ghetto and nickel and dime those EIC motherfukkers to death.

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset
apply for internship program in the govt. agencies that the posters above mentioned.

the pay is shyt but you are in and once your probation period is up and complete the program with lots of experience under your belt you should be good and stable to pursue a Master's and continue to climb the govt. ladder.

Last edited:

Deutsche Bank

Some Of My Partners Dope Fiends Ha
Daps
Reppin
Hookers & Blow
Nah, trying to enrich my community and others not drain it
Lmao hell naw hahahhaahahaa
590.gif

alybaba

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Where do you live?
Is there any particular industry that interests you?
What's the approximate national (USNews) rank of the school you go to?

You're young, so aim for a job that will allow you to develop some new skills and give you a career trajectory. Whether it's financial analysis, econometric modeling or business development. Think about what you're good at - are you a people person, are you a natural salesman or are you a numbers guy? I would encourage you to go private sector - the government is good for stable paycheques not personal development and the latter is what you need at this point in your career.

If you're going to aim to go to grad school, definitely aim for a top 15 b-school if you can. It'll allow you to make either a successful career switch or a jump in employer prestige. Write the GMAT now while you have time and hit that 700 mark.

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
No particular industry interest me. I'm down to learn, of course, but I'm more interested in policy issues. I do agree with your suggestion about going to the private sector first though. I've heard the private sector would help me gain a bit of new skills and improve possible career option, but I don't see myself pursuing business school though.

I'm good with people and numbers so I'm not limited in that aspect. I just need to find the right position that I can grow in. I've checked out some econometric positions, but they seem to just want people with PhDs or MAs

Last edited:

alybaba

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Economic consulting firms like NERA, Cornerstone, Analysis Group, Brattle Group, Charles Rivers Associates etc could be interesting. Otherwise, places like FTI Consulting have policy and economic consulting as well. Look at the Big 4, Navigant etc. too. What's your internship experience like?

You could look at NYC's Economic Development Corporation as well.

adexkola

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Don't rush into graduate school without a clear and defined reason for doing so. Otherwise you'll end up covered to your chin in debt, and overqualified as a mofo.

Gain experience. Live life. Get a clear idea of where your passion lies. THEN go back to university if needed. Not before then. More likely than not, your company at the time will sponsor you to do it.

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
Economic consulting firms like NERA, Cornerstone, Analysis Group, Brattle Group, Charles Rivers Associates etc could be interesting. Otherwise, places like FTI Consulting have policy and economic consulting as well. Look at the Big 4, Navigant etc. too. What's your internship experience like?

You could look at NYC's Economic Development Corporation as well.
Really helpful man. I haven't looked much at consulting firms, but I have been constantly checking NYC Econ Dev Corporation's career opening page. I'm definitely going to look into those consulting firms. My experience is fair to good. Interned for a nonprofit, a strong private equity firm, a high level politician/ worked as a research assistant/tutor amongst other things like being a team captain.

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset
Really helpful man. I haven't looked much at consulting firms, but I have been constantly checking NYC Econ Dev Corporation's career opening page. I'm definitely going to look into those consulting firms. My experience is fair to good. Interned for a nonprofit, a strong private equity firm, a high level politician/ worked as a research assistant/tutor amongst other things like being a team captain.

Checkout Deloitte too.