CDC: antidepressant use regular for 18% of adult women, 8% adult men

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Antidepressant Use Among Adults: United States, 2015-2018

I monitor CDC releases and this study kind of went under the radar due to the bigger stories of the election and COVID. Basically antidepressant use has surged up over the last decade. 2018 numbers show it is particular bad for women, though thankfully Black women have managed to do much better on this front.

18% of women over 18--and a crazy 22% of White women over 18 (almost one-quarter)--use antidepressants fairly regularly. That number drops to 10% for Black women and less for Hispanics and Asians. It is most weighted towards older ages so though it is only 10% in the 18-39 group the jump to 20% after 40 indicates it probably ramps up substantially in the 30s.

It also slightly increases with education. Though race/age are not broken out, the trends would seem to indicate that about 1 out of every 10 young White women (20s and 30s) and 1 out of every 20 young Black women is on these meds. Male use is lower amongst every measure.

Unfortunately I see Black folks' numbers converging like other things over time so people take care of your mental and physical health. Sometimes I wonder if withdrawal from these is why so many freaking people act crazy.

Figure 1. Percentage of adults aged 18 and over who used antidepressant medication over past 30 days, by age and sex: United States, 2015–2018

db377-fig1.gif

Figure 2. Percentage of adults aged 18 and over who used antidepressant medication over past 30 days, by race and Hispanic origin and sex: United States, 2015–2018

db377-fig2.gif

Figure 3. Percentage of adults aged 18 and over who used antidepressant medication over past 30 days, by education level and sex: United States, 2015–2018

db377-fig3.gif

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah working in pharmacy and healthcare This comes at no shock to me...

.....except the fact that they should have the lowest use among any other demographic, since this society was created to benefit YT women, especially In this post industrial economy and feminism. But clearly that's not the case.

But what do I know :manny:

Last edited:

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
I wonder how this relates to other developed nations. Is this just a US thing?

Curious to know how less individualistic, materialistic, and capitalistic societies fare.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
shyt before that pandemic I would have said 607-70% of adults were on something. I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 80% today.

Daps
Reppin
NYC

.....except the fact that they should have the lowest use among any other demographic, since this society was created to benefit YT women, especially In this post industrial economy and feminism. But clearly that's not the case.

Facts
I know depression doesn't care about your race but that stat always shocked me

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Facts
I know depression doesn't care about your race but that stat always shocked me
no doubt. Depression is a real chemical imbalance in the body.

Plus, on a micro level, people go through their own personal issues regardless of race

But the numbers are just ironic to me....

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I'm guessing those are very conservative numbers, but at the same time...people are on all kinds of other garbage, not just antidepressants.

That's what I was thinking. You add in illegal drugs and alcohol abuse and these numbers might cross 50%...

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps

YT women?

sunny80

All Star
Daps
I wonder how this relates to other developed nations. Is this just a US thing?

Curious to know how less individualistic, materialistic, and capitalistic societies fare.
Years ago in undergrad I took a multicultural psych class. The depression and suicide rates for Asian countries was shocking to me back then.