“China Imperialism”: French billionaire Vincent Bolloré now controls Ghana’s biggest port MPS (Tema)

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
You're not refuting what I'm saying or disproving what they are saying. You're just repeating what'ss already been said. Like I said that's like saying other European nations weren't colonizing the Americas because Britain was doing it.

I'm disproving what they are saying because the western narrative is that China controls Africa, which is false. You can't claim that China controls Africa when the US and France has more power than China in Africa.

When GB colonized North America, France and Spain were kicked out.

Brehs will never understand that. Like the Washington consensus hasn't imposed capitalism in various African countries and fukked up things since the 90s :snoop:

Anyways Bolloré been at it literally for decades, this is precisely business as usual for him.

No disrespect to Nigerian breh but Bollore running the show in West Africa is also the failure of Nigeria.

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
I'm disproving what they are saying because the western narrative is that China controls Africa, which is false. You can't claim that China controls Africa when the US and France has more power than China in Africa.

When GB colonized North America, France and Spain were kicked out.

No disrespect to Nigerian breh but Bollore running the show in West Africa is also the failure of Nigeria.
You're pivoting hard. "Colonizing" doesn't equate to control you and everyone else knows that so I don't know why you would even attempt to sneak that in there in order to make it sounds like you have a point. France was literally bought out and still had Canada what are you talking about?

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Very informative post, but OP, that is no excuse for c00ning hard for China. They’re both Africa’s enemies!!

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
You're pivoting hard. "Colonizing" doesn't equate to control you and everyone else knows that so I don't know why you would even attempt to sneak that in there in order to make it sounds like you have a point. France was literally bought out and still had Canada what are you talking about?

Colonizing is control. What do you think colonization was, at least in Africa? It was control. When western media and politicians say that China has colonized Africa, they mean that China has on Africa the same control europeans countries had in Africa, which is false. When Ghana was a British colony, Japan could've not controlled the biggest port in the country. Two countries cannot control the same place. When France had Canada, you could not claim that GB colonized North America. As simple as that.

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
Colonizing is control. What do you think colonization was, at least in Africa? It was control. When western media and politicians say that China has colonized Africa, they mean that China has on Africa the same control europeans countries had in Africa, which is false. When Ghana was a British colony, Japan could've not controlled the biggest port in the country. Two countries cannot control the same place. When France had Canada, you could not claim that GB colonized North America. As simple as that.
"Colonizing" is a the process of gaining control it isn't control the distincrion is obvious. When we are talking about general regions like A CONTINENT. Multiple people can be vying for control eapecially since "colonizing" in this sense is clearly an economic equivalent. No says China has "colonized" Africa what they do say is they are outworking their foothold on the continent. And under your own definition that means GB never colonized North America. I feel youre playong weird semantical games to act righteous. If you want to say that China's involvement with Africa is overstated thats fine, but all of this nonsense of arguing strawmen makes it hard to take seriously.

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
"Colonizing" is a the process of gaining control it isn't control the distincrion is obvious. When we are talking about general regions like A CONTINENT. Multiple people can be vying for control eapecially since "colonizing" in this sense is clearly an economic equivalent. No says China has "colonized" Africa what they do say is they are outworking their foothold on the continent. And under your own definition that means GB never colonized North America. I feel youre playong weird semantical games to act righteous. If you want to say that China's involvement with Africa is overstated thats fine, but all of this nonsense of arguing strawmen makes it hard to take seriously.

So the europeans colonizing Africa was not the europeans controlling Africa but only "gaining control"? Colonizing is controlling. This distinction you made does not make sense.

The term you're looking for is influence. But there is no colonization of Africa by China. How come a country with only one military base in the continent is colonizing Africa, even if we say that colonization means 'gaining control'.

In the african context, colonization means something clear. This is not what is happening with China. Trying to compare what China is doing and what Europeans did a century ago is insulting Africans. It's not semantic. It's being real.

Saying that does not mean that the presence of China in Africa has not negative sides. China's presence raises concern but it"s not colonization. It's far from that.