Daps
There's all manner of folks here so I figured I'd ask considering this news.

Tyler Perry signs deal with Viacom

Apparently he's doing a deal with viacom to put out a bunch of shows (the article said upwards of 90 episodes) for BET and other channels. They will also have exclusive rights to that and short films he does for them. That's a pretty big deal and definitely a win for a dude that come up how he did to own what I believe is the largest studio outside of Hollywood. But, considering that his stuff is 99% about the black experience, and I've heard differing views as the years go on, I figured I'd ask.

What do y'all think of Tyler? I think it's black excellence like we haven't seen in a long time but that could all change at the drop of a hat. I'm not a madea fan and don't think I ever will be but I always respected him as an entertainer and a mogul.

wickedsm

Auntie Mozelle
Supporter
Daps
i really dont fukk with him. the themes he uses over and over again are destructive to our community.

supposedly he employs alot of black people so thats okay.

but for me it doesnt make up for the negative shyt he puts out into the universe about us.
:francis:

Daps
Eh for the most part I'm not a fan of his work but I support his business acumen, he's def more inspirational than talented. But if he can put out quality shyt I have no problem supporting it.
Yeah, I'm there, too. I can't name one thing by him I like or that I spent money on. I was intrigued by alex cross but that was because I already love that character and I still didn't see the movie lol.

i really dont fukk with him. the themes he uses over and over again are destructive to our community.

supposedly he employs alot of black people so thats okay.

but for me it doesnt make up for the negative shyt he puts out into the universe about us.
:francis:
I'm not too familiar and I don't want to make any assumptions. What negative stuff does he put out? And why do so many (i guess...older?) black people seem to look at him like a hero? Is his stuff really all that wholesome? If there's one place where there has almost always been a rich negro, it's entertainment, for better or worse. I know that's a bunch a questions but you catch my drift. My main thing is, which themes and why do they keep selling?

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
I fukk with a couple of his writers on his TV shows and from what I heard..he's a dikk and be stealing their shyt...

And on top of that...he makes shytty content...

But he seems loyal to his actors...

I really don't give a fukk about Tyler Perry...but I do like his business model of making cheap shytty movies and banking on nikkas watching it for that 50 million in the box office off a 2 million budget...

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
This was a surprisingly good movie, IMO........

51QZn5u0T1L.jpg

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Yeah, I'm there, too. I can't name one thing by him I like or that I spent money on. I was intrigued by alex cross but that was because I already love that character and I still didn't see the movie lol.

I'm not too familiar and I don't want to make any assumptions. What negative stuff does he put out? And why do so many (i guess...older?) black people seem to look at him like a hero? Is his stuff really all that wholesome? If there's one place where there has almost always been a rich negro, it's entertainment, for better or worse. I know that's a bunch a questions but you catch my drift. My main thing is, which themes and why do they keep selling?

Tyler Perry relies on old Jim Crow Archetypes...

The black brute that be whipping ass...

The Jezebel that be throwing that p*ssy...

The Mammy...

The Sapphire that emasculates men

Combine those archetypes with some Jesus...and you got a Tyler Perry production...:yeshrug:

Daps
I fukk with a couple of his writers on his TV shows and from what I heard..he's a dikk and be stealing their shyt...

And on top of that...he makes shytty content...

But he seems loyal to his actors...

I really don't give a fukk about Tyler Perry...but I do like his business model of making cheap shytty movies and banking on nikkas watching it for that 50 million in the box office off a 2 million budget...
How is he stealing if they write for him? You mean their personal stuff?