Critique my business idea thread

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Just thought of an idea and wanted to see what you guys thought. Anyone here in the restaurant industry that can say if this might work? So I'm thinking what if there's an option to order your food before you get to the restaurant. Like an app for the restaurant. And no I don't mean to go. Like let's say you get an hour for lunch and want to eat at a nearby restaurant. You can then reserve your table and start placing your order before you get there. That way you're not wasting time waiting for service or the food to cook. Don't know if this may be possible but thought it be a good idea to save time.

Feel free to give your own business ideas or let @YaThreadFloppedB! give his own.

Ms.CuriousCat

All Star
Daps
I think I've heard of something similar with coffee.

The concern from a consumer perspective is I want my food freshly made (or the illusion) pre-ordering makes it seem less so. Also what if I change my mind? It's kinda nice looking through the menu and taking time choosing.

From the restaurants perspective, what if the customer doesn't show up but you've already made their meal? What if they change their mind?

But there aren't that many apps I can see for finding and booking a table at a restaurant near you...

I'm full of business ideas so don't mind sharing :smile:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Just thought of an idea and wanted to see what you guys thought. Anyone here in the restaurant industry that can say if this might work? So I'm thinking what if there's an option to order your food before you get to the restaurant. Like an app for the restaurant. And no I don't mean to go. Like let's say you get an hour for lunch and want to eat at a nearby restaurant. You can then reserve your table and start placing your order before you get there. That way you're not wasting time waiting for service or the food to cook. Don't know if this may be possible but thought it be a good idea to save time.

Feel free to give your own business ideas or let @YaThreadFloppedB! give his own.

It's a new twist on an old model... but is your restaurant that popping to make an app for it and drive customers to it like that...:jbhmm:

TL15

Veteran
Daps

Here's the critique (from the restaurant's perspective)

Waste - Why should I trust that you would come in and pay? Why would I give your spot to someone waiting in person? If 1/100 people gets caught in traffic and then their food is cold, OR they don't show up, OR they change their mind, OR they are drunk and want more/less food, etc....then I lose

No upsell - If you are calling in your "eat in" idea...then I can't upsell you on a bottle of wine, I can't upsell you on appetizers, I can't upsell you due to my charming waiter or beautiful waitress...I don't want people to have their orders ready...I want to slightly persuade them toward spending more money

Backup orders - If this was a "Real" thing...the kitchen would be slammed with orders from people who are coming in "in the future" and it fukks up the flow for the orders of people already in. You don't want your kitchen busy on orders of people who aren't in the restaurant.

This SOUNDS very convenient. But it's probably not very practical.... :yeshrug:

NOW, if a restaurant wanted this to be "their gimmick" then yes it might work if a restaurant focuses purely logistically on this one thing. But if you are talking about deploying this strategy through an app for all restaurants, you would have a hard time getting them to see the value.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Here's the critique (from the restaurant's perspective)

Waste - Why should I trust that you would come in and pay? Why would I give your spot to someone waiting in person? If 1/100 people gets caught in traffic and then their food is cold, OR they don't show up, OR they change their mind, OR they are drunk and want more/less food, etc....then I lose

No upsell - If you are calling in your "eat in" idea...then I can't upsell you on a bottle of wine, I can't upsell you on appetizers, I can't upsell you due to my charming waiter or beautiful waitress...I don't want people to have their orders ready...I want to slightly persuade them toward spending more money

Backup orders - If this was a "Real" thing...the kitchen would be slammed with orders from people who are coming in "in the future" and it fukks up the flow for the orders of people already in. You don't want your kitchen busy on orders of people who aren't in the restaurant.

This SOUNDS very convenient. But it's probably not very practical.... :yeshrug:

NOW, if a restaurant wanted this to be "their gimmick" then yes it might work if a restaurant focuses purely logistically on this one thing. But if you are talking about deploying this strategy through an app for all restaurants, you would have a hard time getting them to see the value.

Yeah you right. It's always gonna have it's pros and cons. Maybe in the future there will be something that changes the restaurant industry completely. Who knows. I see it being more interactive between the consumer and the restaurant. shyt, isn't there self ordering kiosks in some McDonald's? Who knows if restaurants may adapt the same technology. Far as the people waiting in line, I was thinking more of during weekday lunch hours and not weekend busy hours. But yeah that upsell factor does come in tho. I wonder if you can just order to go and sit at the restaurant. When waitress comes up to take your order just be like, "nah we straight" :troll:

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
one thing.. never share your idea over the net unless you got that idea legally set on paper

Good idea. Just called my lawyer Mr Ari GoldStein to copyright it. Thanks

Shoot I ain't got the funds, knowledge, or logistics to make this happen, so go ahead and cook. No pun intended. :troll: