Deadly violence rocks New Delhi as Trump praises Modi on ‘religious freedom’

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Relations normalise, and they no longer have someone who will praise a brutal regime in exchange for Trump Tower India.

Not the scenario Modi wants.

Saw this billboard in Delhi all the time

3500.jpg

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

19-

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
Mohinder Singh took exceptional steps to ensure the safety of Muslim residents in one of the worst-hit neighbourhoods in the Delhi Riots.

NEW DELHI — On 24 February, as the worst communal violence since the 1984 Sikh riots swept Delhi, Mohinder Singh and Inderjit Singh used a Bullet motorcycle and scooty to transport somewhere between 60 to 80 of their Muslim neighbours to a safe location.

The father and son duo say they had sensed the situation was spiralling out of control in the Hindu-dominated neighbourhood of Gokalpuri in northeast Delhi, and started moving their terrified neighbors in batches to the nearest Muslim locality of Kardampuri, one kilometer away.

Mohinder Singh, 53, said that his son was on the Bullet motorcycle and he was on the scooty, and they made around 20 trips each from Gokalpuri to Kardampuri in one hour. When it was women and children, they took three to four of them at a time. When it was men and boys, they took two or three at a time. For some of the boys, they tied Sikh turbans to conceal they were Muslim.

“I did not see Hindu or Muslim,” said Singh, who runs an electronics store and is a father to two children.

“I just saw people. I saw little children. I felt like they were my children and that nothing should happen to them. We did this because we all should act humanely and help those in need. What more can I say?” he said.

Gokalpuri saw some of the worst violence in the three days of rioting, which has left almost 40 people dead. Head constable Ratan Lal died of a bullet injury that he sustained here. Muslim shops, houses and a mosque were torched and looted here. The Muslims who fled are yet to return.

The “sardars” are now famous among the Muslims of Kardampuri, where HuffPost India heard about them.

Their story offers a rare heartwarming tale in a grieving city torn apart by the riots. For Singh, who was 13 years old when the horrific anti-Sikh riots swept through the city, the violence last weekend was a grisly reminder of the past. His incredible bravery offers hope that not all is lost at a time when India seems more divided than ever before.

“I have lived through the hell that was 1984,” Singh said. “Those memories have been revived.”

There were very few shops open in Gokalpuri market on 27 February, five days after Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Kapil Mishra made a hate speech against people protesting the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA), which is now regarded as the trigger for the violence.

Singh had opened his electronic store for the first time since the riots on 27 February.

Smiling at this reporter’s repeated queries about what motivated him and his son to make so many trips to save his neighbors, Singh said, “You have to understand that this is the belief and culture of our community. You may have heard the expression: nanak naam chardi kala, tere bahne sarbat da bhala. Sarbat da bhala means that we want everyone to prosper. We did this to honour humanity and our 10 gurus whose central message is that we should act for everyone to prosper.”

HuffPost is now a part of Verizon Media

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Mohinder Singh took exceptional steps to ensure the safety of Muslim residents in one of the worst-hit neighbourhoods in the Delhi Riots.

NEW DELHI — On 24 February, as the worst communal violence since the 1984 Sikh riots swept Delhi, Mohinder Singh and Inderjit Singh used a Bullet motorcycle and scooty to transport somewhere between 60 to 80 of their Muslim neighbours to a safe location.

The father and son duo say they had sensed the situation was spiralling out of control in the Hindu-dominated neighbourhood of Gokalpuri in northeast Delhi, and started moving their terrified neighbors in batches to the nearest Muslim locality of Kardampuri, one kilometer away.

Mohinder Singh, 53, said that his son was on the Bullet motorcycle and he was on the scooty, and they made around 20 trips each from Gokalpuri to Kardampuri in one hour. When it was women and children, they took three to four of them at a time. When it was men and boys, they took two or three at a time. For some of the boys, they tied Sikh turbans to conceal they were Muslim.

“I did not see Hindu or Muslim,” said Singh, who runs an electronics store and is a father to two children.

“I just saw people. I saw little children. I felt like they were my children and that nothing should happen to them. We did this because we all should act humanely and help those in need. What more can I say?” he said.

Gokalpuri saw some of the worst violence in the three days of rioting, which has left almost 40 people dead. Head constable Ratan Lal died of a bullet injury that he sustained here. Muslim shops, houses and a mosque were torched and looted here. The Muslims who fled are yet to return.

The “sardars” are now famous among the Muslims of Kardampuri, where HuffPost India heard about them.

Their story offers a rare heartwarming tale in a grieving city torn apart by the riots. For Singh, who was 13 years old when the horrific anti-Sikh riots swept through the city, the violence last weekend was a grisly reminder of the past. His incredible bravery offers hope that not all is lost at a time when India seems more divided than ever before.

“I have lived through the hell that was 1984,” Singh said. “Those memories have been revived.”

There were very few shops open in Gokalpuri market on 27 February, five days after Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Kapil Mishra made a hate speech against people protesting the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA), which is now regarded as the trigger for the violence.

Singh had opened his electronic store for the first time since the riots on 27 February.

Smiling at this reporter’s repeated queries about what motivated him and his son to make so many trips to save his neighbors, Singh said, “You have to understand that this is the belief and culture of our community. You may have heard the expression: nanak naam chardi kala, tere bahne sarbat da bhala. Sarbat da bhala means that we want everyone to prosper. We did this to honour humanity and our 10 gurus whose central message is that we should act for everyone to prosper.”

HuffPost is now a part of Verizon Media

That's a tight story.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
@Rhakim

Tulsi Gabbard Tweeted About Anti-Hinduism. Then The Far Right In India Started Amplifying It.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/nishytajha/tulsi-gabbard-hinduphobia-tweet-delhi-violence-modi

Oh, seriously, fukk her. I mean fukk her. @jayshiggs , you see this shyt? THIS is what I was talking about!!!

Muslims have been facing a series of horrifying incidents of state-sponsored violence for months now, a ruling party Hindu Nationalist politician just purposely started violent riots leaving 50+ dead in response to a completely nonviolent, peaceful Muslim protest, and Tulsi is caping for the Hindu Nationalists and spreading their propaganda about "fake news" and "anti-Hindu bias"? At a time like this???

This is the most relevant part of the article:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/nishytajha/tulsi-gabbard-hinduphobia-tweet-delhi-violence-modi
It comes at an especially tense time in India, which has witnessed a week of horrifying communal violence in its capital, New Delhi.

The violence began as a series of skirmishes between Hindus and Muslims on Feb. 23, a day after a member of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), India’s Hindu nationalist ruling party, threatened to displace a group of Muslim women protesters by force. The women were protesting a discriminatory new citizenship law passed by the BJP.

The number of people killed as a result of the rioting is still rising — a hospital in New Delhi estimated the death toll was over 50. As of last week, bodies are still being recovered from of a drain in the neighborhood where the worst of the violence occurred.

Yet by Monday, these skirmishes had escalated into an attack on northeast New Delhi’s Muslim residents. A growing body of evidence — including video footage of police rioting alongside Hindu men — suggests members of New Delhi’s police chose to side with the Hindu community.

Indian Twitter has been deeply divided over whether the violence was in fact anti-Muslim, or a spontaneous outburst that affected “both sides.”

Hindu and Muslim lives have been lost in the violence. But the the footage of the police suggests the Hindu mobs acted with an impunity stemming from the belief that they had the support of the state. In recent weeks, BJP leaders appeared to prepare the ground for precisely such a confrontation, making several speeches across New Delhi asking citizens to “shoot the traitors.”

And that's just the latest violence. In December the police were beating nonviolent protesters in the streets, breaking down doors and beating Muslims in their homes, dragging people out of mosques and torturing them in police stations, were on film walking through Muslim neighborhoods breaking windows and smashing cars, ended up killing 25+ protesters...and NOTHING happened to them. In January a gang of armed Hindu extremists in masks with police support barged into a college campus and smashed up 35-40 liberal students, many of them caught on video....and NOTHING happened to them. Numerous ruling-party politicians have violated the ban on gatherings by holding massive pro-government protests and shouting slogans like "Shoot the Traitors!"....and NOTHING has happened to them. Now they are so angry at a peaceful woman-led sit-in that they start a huge riot and once again get police support for their violence....and once again facing no consequences....and Tulsi decides to go full Trump and "both sides" the issue?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Oh, seriously, fukk her. I mean fukk her. @jayshiggs , you see this shyt? THIS is what I was talking about!!!

Muslims have been facing a series of horrifying incidents of state-sponsored violence for months now, a ruling party Hindu Nationalist politician just purposely started violent riots leaving 50+ dead in response to a completely nonviolent, peaceful Muslim protest, and Tulsi is caping for the Hindu Nationalists and spreading their propaganda about "fake news" and "anti-Hindu bias"? At a time like this???

This is the most relevant part of the article:

And that's just the latest violence. In December the police were beating nonviolent protesters in the streets, breaking down doors and beating Muslims in their homes, dragging people out of mosques and torturing them in police stations, were on film walking through Muslim neighborhoods breaking windows and smashing cars, ended up killing 25+ protesters...and NOTHING happened to them. In January a gang of armed Hindu extremists in masks with police support barged into a college campus and smashed up 35-40 liberal students, many of them caught on video....and NOTHING happened to them. Numerous ruling-party politicians have violated the ban on gatherings by holding massive pro-government protests and shouting slogans like "Shoot the Traitors!"....and NOTHING has happened to them. Now they are so angry at a peaceful woman-led sit-in that they start a huge riot and once again get police support for their violence....and once again facing no consequences....and Tulsi decides to go full Trump and "both sides" the issue?

Her tweet seems to be about America.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Her tweet seems to be about America.

The tweet says "blatantly biased news and anti-Hindu propaganda" and the only example given is "one sided and false international reporting of Delhi riots."

The poster is openly supporting the Hindu Nationalist version of events (no one other than the Hindu Nationalists claim that the entire international media is anti-Hindu and conspiring to write fake news about the events in Delhi). We have zero evidence that her interaction in the Uber actually went down the way she claims it went down. But we do have a lot of evidence of how the Delhi riots went down, and that's the only actual event relevant at all.

Tulsi chose to signal-boost Hindu Nationalist propaganda. Declaring that people who complain about the Hindu Nationalist government's actions are engaging in "Hinduphobia" and demanding that our government and media stop tolerating it....what could she possibly be talking about other than the manner in which the state-sponsored violence in India is being reported on?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I mean @jayshiggs, if you really think this is about anything other than caping for the Hindu Nationalist government's campaign of violence and anti-muslim propaganda, then please tell me one example of actual anti-Hindu bias in the mainstream media that Tulsi is referring to. And any action you think she is asking the media/government to take other than "stop criticizing the Indian government so much."

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
The tweet says "blatantly biased news and anti-Hindu propaganda" and the only example given is "one sided and false international reporting of Delhi riots."

The poster is openly supporting the Hindu Nationalist version of events (no one other than the Hindu Nationalists claim that the entire international media is anti-Hindu and conspiring to write fake news about the events in Delhi). We have zero evidence that her interaction in the Uber actually went down the way she claims it went down. But we do have a lot of evidence of how the Delhi riots went down, and that's the only actual event relevant at all.

Tulsi chose to signal-boost Hindu Nationalist propaganda. Declaring that people who complain about the Hindu Nationalist government's actions are engaging in "Hinduphobia" and demanding that our government and media stop tolerating it....what could she possibly be talking about other than the manner in which the state-sponsored violence in India is being reported on?
So in all the protesting and violence happening in India no Hindus are being killed or hurt?
She is Hindu and is sensitive to her sides gripes and complaints, that's fairly normal for conflicts involving different religions. It doesn't make it right but it is fairly normal. That's why I'm pretty agnostic, I can't get too involved in picking 'which side is right' in a religious conflict. I think they are both wrong and should stop being so religious. Muslims are being marganalized in India, Hindus and other religions are being marganalized in Muslim majority countries. It's a wash and something me personally I can't get too in the weeds about or be bothered keeping score.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
So in all the protesting and violence happening in India no Hindus are being killed or hurt?
She is Hindu and is sensitive to her sides gripes and complaints, that's fairly normal for conflicts involving different religions. It doesn't make it right but it is fairly normal. That's why I'm pretty agnostic, I can't get too involved in picking 'which side is right' in a religious conflict. I think they are both wrong and should stop being so religious. Muslims are being marganalized in India, Hindus and other religions are being marganalized in Muslim majority countries. It's a wash and something me personally I can't get too in the weeds about or be bothered keeping score.

Yes, Hindus have been hurt and killed too, and the media has reported on that. But the rioters who have attacked Hindus are not getting government and police support as they carry out their violence. In the story the guys said, "You Hindus are killing Muslims in India and burning mosques" and she claims that's "not true" and based on "false international reporting". Sorry, but that IS true. Denying the state-sponsored campaign against Muslims in India just because some Hindus were also killed when security completely broke down is like denying that Black folk have been killed by cops in America just because some cops were also killed in retaliation once sentiments ran high.

What is happening in other countries is irrelevant. You can't kill Muslims in India because someone else got killed in some other country. I cape for the victims of violence wherever they are. Tulsi is specifically caping for the purveyors of violence. And if she's doing it just because she's Hindu that makes it WORSE, not better. That's like giving Donald Trump a pass for caping for White Supremacists cause he's White too. Personal identity should not factor in at all when you're talking about people carrying out evil actions.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Yes, Hindus have been hurt and killed too, and the media has reported on that. But the rioters who have attacked Hindus are not getting government and police support as they carry out their violence. In the story the guys said, "You Hindus are killing Muslims in India and burning mosques" and she claims that's "not true" and based on "false international reporting". Sorry, but that IS true. Denying the state-sponsored campaign against Muslims in India just because some Hindus were also killed when security completely broke down is like denying that Black folk have been killed by cops in America just because some cops were also killed in retaliation once sentiments ran high.

What is happening in other countries is irrelevant. You can't kill Muslims in India because someone else got killed in some other country. I cape for the victims of violence wherever they are. Tulsi is specifically caping for the purveyors of violence. And if she's doing it just because she's Hindu that makes it WORSE, not better. That's like giving Donald Trump a pass for caping for White Supremacists cause he's White too. Personal identity should not factor in at all when you're talking about people carrying out evil actions.
Tulsi didn't say it wasn't true, whoever is telling the Uber driver story did.
You cape for Hindus and people of other religions in Muslim majority countries who are being killed/persecuted?! I have not seen that on here, if you do please point it out to me. You just said what was happening in Muslim majority countries is irrelevant. lol