Did Black Folks really create Country Music? That’s what shea butter twitter is claiming now.

Are you a fan of country music?

• Yes

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 67.3%

• Total voters

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
I thought that was @Jupiter Jazz's whole point.
It is, but again it’s all a moot point if 1. Beyoncé use them and give them the rub and 2. People go back to not giving a damn about the genre after she leaves and goes elsewhere.

It would and should be bad optics if she doesn’t use them considering that the white artist and producers in country are doing so.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
It is, but again it’s all a moot point if 1. Beyoncé use them and give them the rub and 2. People go back to not giving a damn about the genre after she leaves and goes elsewhere.

It would and should be bad optics if she doesn’t use them considering that the white artist and producers in country are doing so.
Having your name anywhere with Beyonce is a boon, I'm really not trynna hear the sob stories. Take the {potential, hypothetical) connect for what it is and be happy.

Space Cowboy

Allahu Akbar
Daps
Reppin
CowboysNation
I thought that was @Jupiter Jazz's whole point.
It should be noted that the black musicians and producers wouldn’t necessarily benefit from Beyoncé from a country music perspective because a lot of those white artist and producers are already collaborating with them and putting them on their songs as is.

Now if it helps them reach a broader audience and get gigs and producer credits outside of country music then that’s a different discussion.

It would help if she actually stuck to the genre other than it being a one off because the genre will go back to doing the same shyt that happened before she got there and her not her fan base will care to do anything about it.

The only time people fake care about country music and inspiring change is when a song catches wind or their favor artist does a crossover with it.
Heard Beyonce country song on the local R&B station (Majik 102.1) here in Houston. I ain't never heard no black country on that station ever. They better be putting the others on if they do Beyonce.

Saw this post on IG though. I have to say that through my personal taste and definition this is not country but this is a start.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Having your name anywhere with Beyonce is a boon, I'm really not trynna hear the sob stories. Take the {potential, hypothetical) connect for what it is and be happy.
You must obviously be a Beyoncé stan because my point is completely going over your head :mjlol:

Country music fans, producers and artist are already well aware who Blanco Brown and Breland are because they use them in songs on the radio. It’s other genres where they could use the rub as that’s where the money is.

There’s a reason why these country artist are trying to crossover genres and bytching about Grammy’s they want the money that comes along with it.

Soldier

not redeemed with gold but with His Blood
Daps
When he was alive I would watch Kevin Samuels occasionally. He was always about pushing brothers into established fields like business and tech and stem and getting the bag. Which is fair. One brother called in and said he was an artist and Kevin dogged him for being an artist because he didn't see the money potential. Then Kevin would use Marvel terms like Thanos snap and GOT terms like "winter is coming".
All black art is too commodified

And black folks are almost as much to blame as the vultures. Hip hop wasn't stolen as much as it was sold :francis:

There also tends to be a lack of craftsmanship in black art, especially when it's established that there's a bag to be made. That's how you get a Tyler Perry but no Scorcese equivalent :francis:

Black people are so good at things we don't take them as seriously as people that aren't. We don't realize that those people are always watching and waiting for a chance to absorb, commodify, and curate our shyt. And the curators write the history books and shape the future :francis:

Yep:wow:

Society is shaped by art. The movies we watch, books we read, and the music we listen to shapes behavior for a period of time

Black folks don't take this as seriously as we should. Cacs created Hollywood for a reason

This dude was pushing for a healthy black community while not valuing the potentiality of black art while propping up white made art that were cultural icons. This is the problem. Short-term thinking and bag chasing rather than legacy building. Because the black community does not value art the black community tells striving artists to not pursue it. Then the black community complains about lack of representation in media and film while at the same time sneering at black artists. You cannot have representation if you do not value art.

I find that all non-whites suffer from this with latinos probably suffering from it the least. It's a devaluation of art. I think the common denominator is that all of these groups were colonized or enslaved and therefore they don't understand nor appreciate the cultural power art holds. I call it a colonized mindset. Arabs, Asians, Africans, and some Latinos have a similar mindset. What's funny is that the Asian countries that have done the best learned to value their art the most. Countries like Japan. Anime and games and media is one of Japan's biggest exports. One tiny nation is out here making whole demographics love them just through their art because they learned its power and its ability to craft narratives. Note that Japan unlike China, India, Arabia, and Africa was never colonized.

My theory is that colonization, even after it ends, puts nations on survival mode to the point where they can't even picture the idea of valuing art.

You see it

To further your point about Japan look at Korea and it's cultural explosion in the last decade or so. Kpop acts are selling out stadiums in the US. You have American women using vpns to watch Korean drama:mjlol: Women of all races are openly thirsting after Korean men after decades of Asian men being portrayed as asexual and weak

Korea put deliberate energy towards pushing art/culture as it's main export and the shyt is working. Kpop is funded by the government , because they had an epiphany about the power of art

I recommend this book for a deeper dive into how serious they took exportation of art and culture

81-odJAWu+L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

shopping

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
You must obviously be a Beyoncé stan because my point is completely going over your head :mjlol:

Country music fans, producers and artist are already well aware who Blanco Brown and Breland are because they use them in songs on the radio. It’s other genres where they could use the rub as that’s where the money is.

There’s a reason why these country artist are trying to crossover genres and bytching about Grammy’s they want the money that comes along with it.
Absolutely not, I just don't think she's the devil. If she brings shine to los otros, good. I'm not trynna argue about it. :yeshrug:

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Heard Beyonce country song on the local R&B station (Majik 102.1) here in Houston. I ain't never heard no black country on that station ever. They better be putting the others on if they do Beyonce.

Saw this post on IG though. I have to say that through my personal taste and definition this is not country but this is a start.

Now those are country songs. Texas Hold' Em sounds like r&b with a "country" beat lol

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Most people don't know that a good portion of the cowboys in the old west were black men. People with roots in Texas and Oklahoma are their descendants.

Relevant post I made years ago:

Goodbye Old Paint

Goodbye Old Paint is a traditional Western song that was created by black cowboy, Charley Willis.[1] The song was first collected by songwriter, N. Howard "Jack" Thorp in his 1921 book Songs of the Cowboys.[2] Members of the Western Writers of America chose it as one of the Top 100 Western songs of all time.[3]

In writing about Goodbye Old Paint, Thorp wrote: "Heard this sung by a puncher who had been on a spree in Pecos City. He had taken a job temporarily as a sheep-rustler for an outfit in Independence Draw, down the river, and was ashamed of the job. I won't mention his name."[2] Charley Willis, a former slave who became a cowboy and rode the Wyoming trail in the late 1800s, is now credited with authorship. Willis was in demand on cattle drives because his voice was reportedly calming to the herds.[1]

Though folklorist John Lomax did credit Willis with the authorship of the song, Lomax declined to have it performed by any black person.[1] In spite of the specifically-concealed history of the song, many people have been credited with writing it. In 1928, a newspaper in Amarillo, Texas reported that Texas cowboy fiddler Jess Morris had composed it. Apparently Morris' arrangement had previously caught Thorp's eye. Morris never claimed to have written the song, saying that he learned it from a black cowboy named Charley Willis. Western writer and singer Jim Bob Tinsley has said that credit for saving "Goodbye Old Paint" from being forever lost "...belongs to three Texans: a black cowboy (Willis) who sang it on cattle drives, a cowboy who remembered it (Jess Morris) and a college professor (Lomax) who put it down on paper."[4][5]

yi1Nf.jpg

charley Willis and his wife, Laura, in the late 1800s. Willis is credited with the original version of the classic cowboy song "Goodbye Old Paint."

African American cowboy Charley Willis was recognized as a singing cowboy who authored the popular trail song, “Goodbye Old Paint.” Willis was a skilled cowhand who not only sang songs from the trail but who contributed to preserving authentic cowboy music from the era.

Charley Willis was born in 1847 in Milam County, outside of Austin, Texas. Freed after the Civil War he headed to West Texas at age eighteen and found work breaking wild horses at the Morris Ranch in Bartlett, Texas. In 1871, at age twenty-four, he rode the Chisholm Trail one thousand miles north into Wyoming Territory as a drover. Charley was musically knowledgeable and talented. He became known for the songs he brought back from the trail.

In 1885 Willis taught his favorite song, “Good-bye Old Paint,” to Morris’s seven-year-old son, Jess. As an adult Jess Morris became known as a talented fiddler, and though credited with authoring “Good-bye Old Paint,” he was quick to clarify that had he learned the song from Charley Willis as a child. In 1947 John Lomax, a pioneering musicologist and folklorist, recorded Morris singing and playing Willis’ song, “Good-bye Old Paint,” and later sent it to the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress where it is preserved.

In 1874 Captain John T. Lytle and several cowboys left South Texas with 3,500 head of longhorn cattle and a remuda of saddle horses. Five years later, the route Lytle cut out of the prairie to Ft. Robinson, Nebraska, had become the most significant cattle trail in history – the Great Western Cattle Trail. Though less well known than the Chisholm Trail, the Great Western Cattle Trail was longer in length and carried cattle for two years longer than the Chisholm. The Great Western saw over seven million cattle and horses pass through Texas and Oklahoma to the railheads in Kansas and Nebraska, therefore, developing the cattle industry as far north as Wyoming and Montana. A typical head would move 10 -12 miles a day and included the trail boss, a wrangler, and a cook. The drive from South Texas to Kansas took about two months at a cost of $1000 in wages and provisions. At the end of the trail, cattle sold for $1.00 to $1.50 per head. In Texas, feeder trails from the Rio Grande led to the trailhead near Bandera and the Great Western passed through, Kerrville, Junction, Brady, Coleman, Baird, Albany and Fort Griffin. It is believed that the main streets of Throckmorton, Seymour, and Vernon run north and south because of the trail. Cowboys would sing along the trail, either to calm the cattle while watching over them at night, or just around the campfire, for entertainment or something to do. One of the classic old trail drive songs was “Goodbye, Old Paint”, written by Charley Willis, and it has endured. Charley Willis was born a slave in Milam County. Milam County, at the time, was as big as half of Texas, so it’s no telling exactly where he was born, but he, at some point, gained his freedom and worked as a cowboy on the Morris Ranch. He participated in the cattle drives from Texas to points north. The song endured because, in 1878, he taught the seven-year-old son of the ranch owner, Jesse Morris, how to play it on the fiddle, which he had learned to play from another black cowboy on the ranch, Jerry Neely. Jesse Morris became an expert fiddler and, in 1928, was heard playing “Goodbye, Old Paint” at a fiddling contest in Amarillo. He became identified with the song and the unique way he played it, and he was accredited with its writing. But Jesse Morris always gave credit to the old black cowboy, Charley Willis.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps

Dolly Parton funded an office building in a Black neighborhood from Whitney's I will Always Love You royalties :wow:

All Black contributions should be highlighted especially in the era of canceling Black history by fascist politicians.

Lonj

Superstar
Daps
My thing is how many times have we seen white artists pivot from rap to country?

What's good for the goose...:yeshrug: