Did Hip Hop when sampling died? Did southern producers kill the genre?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Publishers and Technology GREATLY reduced producers ability to just sample and release retail projects.
Sampling is still used by all regions but your chops and crate digging ability is at a premium now.
Producers like Jake Uno and G-koop make major dollars replaying and chopping samples for artist ALL THE TIME.
Bad and Bougie was a sample replay by G-Koop then the beat was chopped by Metro Boomin'

The "(insert region) ruined hip hop" is a played out and weak position by folks who have a preference to a certain region or time or sound and dont like the shift in styles/influences.........

:stopitslime:
Post the original sample for Bad and Bougie.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fukk outta here.

You're trying to erase 20 years of music history to make your retarded point.

Southern producers used sampling and also elevated Hip Hop production by bringing in real musicians and composing original tracks.

Southern producers were REAL musicians, not some nikkas playing around with their parents record collection and drum machines.

I wanna say that's also a west coast thing and the entirety of west coast production and how to approach Hip-Hop was shaped by
people who viewed musicians as an asset when writing records based on an acoustic art form like Funk/Soul.

It's only natural that when seeking to emulate that sound and produce unique sounding records that you'll eventually have
to get living breathing people to play over those drum sounds (or in pete rock or q-tips case you completely master
the MPC).

On topic :
I think Black Music was really hit the hardest by musical education cuts, instruments not being seen
as "cool" and the culture of "sampling" which depending on how it's approached can be completely
devoid of any skill.

You go back a couple decades and you get songs with horn and string arrangements, virtuosic drum performances,
interesting Jazz influenced harmony, harmonizing musicians, virtuosic bass playing etc. Musicianship was "normal" it
wasn't seen as people being "eclectic" or "different".

When the Ohio Players or Kool & The Gang or The Gap Band or anyone else was stringing together some frankly.
ill loops that would eventually be sampled by Hip-Hop heads it was a normal aspect of their genre, they didn't know a decade
or two later the shyt would be a literal gold mine :laugh:

So yeah, I think Hip-Hop or really what proceeded it in genres like Funk, Rock, Soul and so on were hit pretty hard by shifts
in cultural attitudes I mean look at how much it's changed just in this decade.

And that isn't to say "Good" music isn't being made anymore, it's just to say that the bar has been lowered in some ways.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
fukk outta here.

You're trying to erase 20 years of music history to make your retarded point.

Southern producers used sampling and also elevated Hip Hop production by bringing in real musicians and composing original tracks.

Southern producers were REAL musicians, not some nikkas playing around with their parents record collection and drum machines.

Sample based producers are real musicians as well.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
I love a sampled beat, but I love originality just as much as the former. Can't blame nikkas for wanting get more bread rather than spitting with 6 or 7 other cowriters for sample usage.

Sampling has kept damn near every 80s and 90s rapper touring.. I think they dont mind spliting co-writing credits.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Sample based producers are real musicians as well.

Breh, I'm not trying to shyt on nikkas that made their career off using sampled loops and drum machines.

I grew up on it, so I would be fronting heavy if I said I didn't love it.

But, when a nikka tries to shyt on Southern producers who used real musicians that played instruments and crafted original beats, in order to big up nikkas that made their name off of sample loops and programmed drum beats, I'm going to throw a flag.

It's not the same weight class at all.

Same with West Coast producers.

I love Preemo and Hav to death, but I would never put them in the same conversation as a nikka like DJ Quik, when Quik produced shyt like this..

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Breh, I'm not trying to shyt on nikkas that made their career off using sampled loops and drum machines.

I grew up on it, so I would be fronting heavy if I said I didn't love it.

But, when a nikka tries to shyt on Southern producers who used real musicians that played instruments and crafted original beats, in order to big up nikkas that made their name off of sample loops and programmed drum beats, I'm going to throw a flag.

It's not the same weight class at all.

Same with West Coast producers.

I love Preemo and Hav to death, but I would never put them in the same conversation as a nikka like DJ Quik, when Quik produced shyt like this..

It’s all arrangement at the end of the day.
There’s only so many sounds drums can produce, etc.
I think OP is speaking on the modern era of trap beats.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
Non sampling to produce cheesy generic beats in 5 mins created the disconnect between vintage Black art and basically trap etc..
Samples created a bridge between era's..
And yes, the South squatted and shat in the open mouth of hip hop. They have no concept or care for quality control, history of hip hop and their resultant influx into hip hop allowed any no talent faq with 2 dollars a platform. Hopefully hip hop is cyclical and the era of future, zaytoven and lil so n so will be dead soon. Tragic fukkin era:mjcry:

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
It’s all arrangement at the end of the day.
There’s only so many sounds drums can produce, etc.
I think OP is speaking on the modern era of trap beats.

Nah, he purposely skipped over the golden age of Southern rap production, in an attempt to shyt on the South as a whole and I'm not going to let it ride.

The South contributed greatly to Hip Hop music and culture as a whole, and it's stupid threads like this that makes folks outside of the tristate shyt on NY and East Coast based Hip Hop music.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
There's plenty of sampling going on, just not on most albums and music artists intend to SELL.

Sampling is good and cool but non sampled records are the wave for financial reasons. Plus you're overgeneralizing non-sampled beats as if they are all trap beats and that's not accurate. Non sampled records also introduce new sounds and energy to the game, so in general they are good for music.

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
All trap beats are generic. That’s the difference.
Of course Neanderthal Ned rhythmless ass in here and but ain't got no cultural ties to none of this shyt.

Havoc one of my favorite producers but since we here doin this all his shyt is generic and sound the same too. East coast nikkas aint even program they own drums, nikkas made a livin off samplin a southern nikka James Brown's drums.