Do black men have self-esteem issue no one is talking about?

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
How blacks are portrayed in popular media has ALOT to do with our collective self-esteem.

Black people (specifically the young black male) are the most stereotyped group on the planet. These stereotypes includes being physically intimidating/aggressive, hypersexual and being "swagged out" basicly

This leads to many black men feeling the need to fit inside the box that popular media has set for us. Young black males have the most pressure to exude "coolness", a certain sense of style, physical prowess, aggressiveness and to be good with the ladies, etc

Those of us who don't fit inside this small box are often accused of being soft, lame or even "not black enough".

Dont know if any of this applies to the vid cuz I didn't watch it past 1min. Seems like this is strictly over some female.

Either way I'm out,
Peace.

Fandroid

Banned
Daps
racism will not be dead for a long time but no one is stopping you from living your life tho
no black middle class? explain the blacks and mixed race people in expensive private schools?

the guy in the op video was a pussio

where did I say that systemic oppression stops you from you (usually) breathing on a daily basis?

Mixed race people aren't black.

There's black INDIVIDUALS that are middle class or rich but there are NO black middle class COMMUNTIES.

All black people in the U.K. live in the poor/working class neighborhoods.

If they end up rich they end up living next ot cacs.

Do you see now?

In America, AAs actually have black suburbs, middle-class communties that are largely black.

@rahtid come get your wasteman

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
racism will not be dead for a long time but no one is stopping you from living your life tho
no black middle class? explain the blacks and mixed race people in expensive private schools?

the guy in the op video was a pussio

Breh lers not be obtuse. We dont have any Black middle class neighbourhoods or establishments like Americans do, one black breh in these schools doesnt really count when they have predom black private schools there.

I agree with the rest of your message, we need to acknowledge the systems holding us back we have to limit how mentally constrained by it. This comes from believing we can do anything.

Like Fab said, theres a Lie in the middle of Believe, sometimes you gotta lie to achieve.

MrFettuccinnePockets

#TeamGuapele
Supporter
Daps
How can black have high self esteem while being oppressed?

Are black folks not oppressed in this country?

Oppression is not just physical or economic. Oppression actually hinges highly on mentality.

It''s an exisential contradiction.

Knowledge of self and not looking for sympathy is a start.

Koichos

Pro
Daps
Reppin
K'lal Yisraʾel
Everyone has self esteem issues, they get worse the further you are from white.

I don't believe in the silly idea of weak/strong minded people, what I do believe in is knowing yourself and identifying ways to deal with your shortcomings. If you rely on external things to validate you, you will be eaten alive.
Studies show Blacks have the highest average self-esteem; whites fall in the middle, slightly above Hispanics, and Asian Americans dead last.

Adolescent Self-Esteem: Differences by Race/Ethnicity, Gender, and Age
Self-Perceptions of Black Americans: Self-Esteem and Personal Efficacy on JSTOR
https://campus.fsu.edu/bbcswebdav/institution/academic/social_sciences/sociology/Reading Lists/Social Psych Prelim Readings/IV. Structures and Inequalities/1993 Porter Washington - Minority Identity and Self Esteem.pdf
https://campus.fsu.edu/bbcswebdav/institution/academic/social_sciences/sociology/Reading Lists/Social Psych Prelim Readings/IV. Structures and Inequalities/1989 Hughes Demo - Self-Perceptions of Black Americans.pdf

BLΔCK⁂W⊙LF

All Star
Daps
I agree in that White people can't make things impossible but as a group, they are effectively the Gods of this entire planet.

I meant "god" in the more metaphysical sense of being all perfect.

White people set up puppet governments through bribing weaker minded individuals.
Various governments in the past have been overtaken not externally but internally by people that were bribed by Western powers.
Or those same Western powers will enter and finance projects but keep a country so in debt through interest payments, etc.., that the smaller, less advanced nation finds it difficult to maintain infrastructure and make those interest payments (check IMF and the ebola outbreak).

A lack of communication and problem solving capabilities is why we as Black people are in the position we are in today.

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
Shouldn't that self-esteem lead to black folks organizing together and staying on code and supporting black businesses and not looking for cac validation and so on?
Nah it would lead to not obsessing about race and living the best you can. You asked :yeshrug: