Donald Glover Confirms Malia Obama in Writers’ Room of New Show: ‘Her Writing Style Is Great’

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
Donald Glover has confirmed that Malia Obama is in the writers’ room for his new Amazon series. The “Atlanta” Emmy winner told Vanity Fair that Obama is “an amazingly talented person,” adding, “She’s really focused, and she’s working really hard.”

“I feel like she’s just somebody who’s gonna have really good things coming soon,” Glover said. “Her writing style is great.”

Donald Glover Confirms Malia Obama in Writers' Room for His New Show - Variety

Stephen Glover, Donald’s brother and frequent collaborator, is also developing the Obama-assisted Amazon series and had this to say about the young talent: “Donald always says perspective is important, and people with different perspectives are important for a writers’ room. And for sure, [Malia] definitely has a unique perspective on everything. So we wanted to hear her stories and have her work with us. Listening to her stories and having her involved really gave us a lot of good ideas.”

Donald Glover signed an eight-figure overall dealwith Amazon Studios in February 2021. Sources told Variety at the time that Malia Obama was joining the writers’ room of a Glover project with playwright Janine Nabers, but it wasn’t until now that Obama’s involvement was confirmed. The series is reportedly about a “Beyonce-like figure.” Nabers is known for her work on “Watchmen,” “Away” and “Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce.”

“Atlanta” just returned for its long-delayed third season on FX. Variety critic Daniel D’Addario called the new season a “startling, stunning master class” in his rave review, praising its direct storytelling. “Atlanta” will return for a fourth and final season in the fall.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
I mean look how educated her parents are and the schools she went to. Not hard to believe IMO :manny:

no it’s the same bullshyt nepotism. Race is just a smoke screen for the real class warfare in America. Most the Hollywood writers are from the ivy leagues, you damn near got zero shot if you don’t come from there. This is the same old story.

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
no it’s the same bullshyt nepotism. Race is just a smoke screen for the real class warfare in America. Most the Hollywood writers are from the ivy leagues, you damn near got zero shot if you don’t come from there. This is the same old story.
Race and especially politics. Her being a good writer and deserving her position are two different things.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO

I’m sorry….. I find this hard to believe

Let’s saying there are 1000 Hollywood writers out there (and I’m sure it’s 100x that amount)

I just can’t believe that 900 of them went to Ivy League schools :russ:

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I’m sorry….. I find this hard to believe

Let’s saying there are 1000 Hollywood writers out there (and I’m sure it’s 100x that amount)

I just can’t believe that 900 of them went to Ivy League schools :russ:
They disproportionately come from elite schools. There’s a lot of reasons that go into that - money, connections, race, etc. Just taking on a job like that which may take years to pay off is based on privilege and not having the pressure of supporting others or being the first person in your family to build wealth. It’s similar to start up culture.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
They disproportionately come from elite schools. There’s a lot of reasons that go into that - money, connections, race, etc. Just taking on a job like that which may take years to pay off is based on privilege and not having the pressure of supporting others or being the first person in your family to build wealth. It’s similar to start up culture.

I just look at like with anything…. Everyone who has access or paper and a pin kinda jump into it and can call themselves “a Hollywood writer.” Now maybe the top ones that fairly successfully make it are from the IVY league but the majority of the ones in the pool from the field are not.

Like I know a lot of people that are Hollywood writers that didn’t go to IL schools but still are active and kinda waiting on their big breaks

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
I just look at like with anything…. Everyone who has access or paper and a pin kinda jump into it and can call themselves “a Hollywood writer.” Now maybe the top ones that fairly successfully make it are from the IVY league but the majority of the ones in the pool from the field are not.

Like I know a lot of people that are Hollywood writers that didn’t go to IL schools but still are active and kinda waiting on their big breaks
I don’t think he was talking literally every writer - just most of the prominent ones. Issa Rae - Stanford. Glover - NYU.

I’m saying this as someone who went to those types of schools. Going to those places and having disposable income and no responsibility is a major leg up. I know people who write now that went to law school just to do it and had no worries about debt and are just writers now for film and elite publications.

Last edited:

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
I remember reading on IG that her and jaden smith were writing for something like 13 hours straight

had me thinking 'tf you writing for for 13 hours:wtf:'