Establishment Dems are getting themselves into era-defining trouble

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
The confluence of two recent articles points out a big issue for Democratic leadership.

The Coming Generation War

Pelosi. McConnell. Trump. Biden. Sanders. Clinton. Every one of them a baby boomer or older. Every one defined by political lines that are decades old.

Meanwhile, the median American is 38. HALF of all Americans are under 38. 43% of all Democrats were born in 1981 or later. By 2024 this will be 50% of Democrats. By 2029, just ten years away, Millennials and people younger than Millennials will make up the majority of America’s voting-age population. By 2039 they will be 62% of all voters.

The article points out that AOC’s views are close to the median for her age cohort. In other words, AOC isn’t a radical young Democrat, she’s the AVERAGE young Democrat. And the ones coming after her are even more tilted in that direction. 66% of Generation Z (those born after 1996) support single payer health care. 63% support free college. 63% support a federal jobs guarantee. And the Millennial voters’ (1981-1996 birthdates) support for the same positions is only slightly lower.

If the Democratic party doesn’t want to recognize that, they may find that a large proportion of their potential future voters don’t want to be Democrats at all anymore.

Which brings us to the next article.

College Democrats protest new DCCC vendor policy

In March the DCCC unveiled a new policy stating that any vendors who wished to work with the party – campaign advisers, consulting firms, etc. - had to sign on a set of terms. One of the terms is that they must refuse to do work for any candidate who is challenging an incumbent Democrat. In other words, the DCCC isn’t just explicitly preferring old Democrats over younger/newer ones, it is attempting to use economic power to force advisers to prefer the old guard as well.

Sixty-eight chapters of the College Democrats have begun urging voters to boycott the DCCC, spearheaded by the powerful Harvard College Democrats. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, of course, had already explicitly and publicly opposed the rule, as have several other young Democrats.

This move, along with the underhanded ways that they’ve already been trying to manipulate the 2020 primaries, is giving the impression that the DNC is drawing a line in the sand. And they may soon find a large, large portion of their constituency walking over that line and not coming back.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Most people and even more young people don't even identify as Democrat, they are mostly Independent. So the fact that the college age kids STILL willing to call themselves Democrats are starting a boycott of the DCCC just shows how backwards/stuck in the past the leadership is.
If they don't at least hold a vote to impeach Trump their fall will be very soon rather than 5-10 years later. They are really colossally fukking up right now.

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
I've been telling y'all that the party has been ripe for a split that will empower a third party in this country.

The proof was in how easy it was for a little known Senator from VT to completely change the party platform without even making it to the general election. That is a clear sign that the party is slowly losing the majority.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
the problem with articles like this is ignoring how people become more conservative as they age...yes, there are social freedoms/liberties and a care for the environment that will likely not perish as principles for millennials as we age, but fiscal conservatism, as you grow more attached to what you've worked for and wanting to move ahead, will likely rear its head, especially with gen z who is starting to surface more competitive, individualistic, conservative traits than millennials. kinda jumping the gun to think the average today is what it will be tomorrow, i'm sure the boomers getting high and fukking all over the place in the 60's/70's never thought they'd be the people to ruin the economy for generations to come

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Generation War article really makes me believe 2020 is gonna be a transformational election.
i think 2024 is gonna be the transformational election

maybe i'll have to eat these words, which i'd be happy to do. but i don't see the complete opposite of trump beating him in 2020. i see either a moderate like biden doing it, or the complete opposite of trump winning in 2024 after 8 years of fatigure

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I mean the Democrats voted to go to war with Iraq....

Era defining trouble?

As far as generational divides go I'm fine with Logan's Running anyone from X and older.

:manny:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Older dems have power because younger dems aren't voting at a high enough rate.

The people cited will likely be closer to death by the time they're forced out. I doubt they care. :pachaha:
:dead:

the problem with articles like this is ignoring how people become more conservative as they age...yes, there are social freedoms/liberties and a care for the environment that will likely not perish as principles for millennials as we age, but fiscal conservatism, as you grow more attached to what you've worked for and wanting to move ahead, will likely rear its head, especially with gen z who is starting to surface more competitive, individualistic, conservative traits than millennials. kinda jumping the gun to think the average today is what it will be tomorrow, i'm sure the boomers getting high and fukking all over the place in the 60's/70's never thought they'd be the people to ruin the economy for generations to come
Did you read the article? It addressed that explicitly. It talked at one point about the only hope for Republicans is for Baby Boomers to shift right faster than they die.

However, the claim you made isn't universal (not every generation moves right in the same way) and isn't being observed yet among the younger generations (Millennials haven't shifted right as they've entered their 30s). In fact, as Republicans get behind candidates like Trump, double-down on their all-Whiteness even more, income inequallity increases, automation increases, environmental damage becomes more apparent, and the Overton Window in politics continues to move left, you could actually see the younger generations move more to the LEFT rather than more to the right.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is why Biden shouldn’t be the nominee. He is the old Democratic party: white Reagan democrats and black Clinton democrats.
then who should? the polls all have him winning :yeshrug:

if he was polling like in 3rd place of course he shouldnt be the fukkin nominee :dead:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I feel the article takes that into account. What it’s saying is that there will be a new left and right paradigm.

Great Depression/FDR Dems stayed that their entire lives which is why they didn’t want anyone touching social security and Medicaid.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
:dead:

Did you read the article? It addressed that explicitly. It talked at one point about the only hope for Republicans is for Baby Boomers to shift right faster than they die.

However, the claim you made isn't universal (not every generation moves right in the same way) and isn't being observed yet among the younger generations (Millennials haven't shifted right as they've entered their 30s). In fact, as Republicans get behind candidates like Trump, double-down on their all-Whiteness even more, income inequallity increases, automation increases, environmental damage becomes more apparent, and the Overton Window in politics continues to move left, you could actually see the younger generations move more to the LEFT rather than more to the right.
30’s is too young to see a shift, talk to me when we’re in our 50’s.

And this doubling down on whiteness may only continue as their percentage of the population shrinks, pair that with assimilated Latinos/the dem party looking vulnerable with the Latino vote (over time). It’s fun create these articles that paint the outlook you want to see become reality but there is a big possibility that the dem/republican breakdown will stay the same or, on a long shot, a real third party takes off