Fast-food workers walkout to protest low wages

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Don’t expect to have it your way today at some fast-food restaurants across the country.

Workers at the nation’s best known fast-food restaurants in seven cities across America are planning to walk off the job Monday to protest what they say are wages that are too low to live on. In a move orchestrated with the help of powerful labor unions and clergy groups, the workers plan to strike for a day to demand their wages be doubled.

The Washington Post reports that the protests will take place in New York City, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Flint, Mich., involving workers at McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and KFC. Some employees at stores including Dollar Tree, Macy's and Victoria's Secret are also expected to join the protesters in several cities.

"A lot of the workers are living in poverty, you know, not being able to afford to put food on the table or take the train to work."

- Jonathan Westin, Fast Food Forward

The ]workers are calling for wages of $15 per hour, more than double New York's current minimum wage of $7.25.

A network of local community groups, clergy and unions, including the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), are backing the strike.

“SEIU members, like all service-sector workers, are worse off when large fast-food and retail companies are able to hold down wages and push benefit standards for working people,” Mary Kay Henry, president of the Service Employees International Union, told the Washington Post.

In New York City, the protests were organized by a group called Fast Food Forward, which states its Twitter account: "No one can survive on $7.25."

"A lot of the workers are living in poverty, you know, not being able to afford to put food on the table or take the train to work," Fast Food Forward director Jonathan Westin told CBS New York. "The workers are striking over the fact that they can’t continue to maintain their families on the wages they’re being paid in the fast-food industry."

The group posted a photograph on its Twitter account early Monday depicting workers who have “walked out” in New York.

Fast-food workers in New York City earn an average salary of $11,000 annually. That’s less than half of the average daily salary — $25,000 — for most fast-food restaurant CEOs. Employees in the $200 billion industry make 25 percent of the money they need to survive in New York City while working at fast-food restaurants, according to the group’s website.

As of early Monday, more than 120,000 people have signed Fast Food Forward's online petition calling for higher wages in the industry.

Robert Wilson, Jr., a [25-year-old McDonald’s employee in Chicago, told The Washington Post that he makes $8.60 an hour after seven years on the job. A previous walkout in April led to “small victories,” he said, including additional hours and slight raises.

“I’m not really concerned about losing my job,” Wilson told The Washington Post. “If I don’t get anything, I am in a lose-lose situation. I can still get fired at any time.”

Industry representatives, meanwhile, say that most fast-food restaurants operate on a meager profit margin, making it impossible to increase employee wages. But a report issued last week by the National Employment Law Project seemingly refutes part of that assertion, as fewer than one in 50 jobs in fast-food restaurants are managerial. And becoming a franchise owner requires the better part of $1 million in some cases, making that option out of reach for the overwhelming majority of workers.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/29/fast-food-workers-plan-one-day-strike-for-monday/#ixzz2aV3jZ1hd

I torn this issue on one hand, I feel sympathetic towards, these underpaid, hard workers, but on the other hand, economics doesn't work by paying every worker $15/hr.

I gotta hear from: @Slystallion and @theworldismine13

Slystallion

Live to Strive
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Who in their right mind thought working at McDonald's is a long term career? You can maybe become shift manager and work your way up to store manager and then run a region but a place like McDonald's should never be a destination it's more like a job to have while you build your skill level in school or trade school. If you want an overpaid salary go become a lifeguard in California I hear they make 200gs a year if you make it to senior level Google it lol. But the market cannot sustain such a salary for skill level that isn't high in the private sector... Only if you work for government cuz they print money and don't care about over spending

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
JUST ACCEPT WHAT THE GIANT CORPORATIONS ARE GRACIOUS ENOUGH TO OFFER YOU, BROTHER! NEVER ORGANIZE WITH YOUR FELLOW WORKERS TO GAIN A BETTER POSITION, DUDE! DON'T CAUSE ANY TROUBLE FOR THE BILLIONAIRE SHAREHOLDERS, MEAN GENE! BE A GOOD LITTLE WORKER BEE, JACK! YOU WOULDN'T WANT AMERICA'S FAT ASSES TO HAVE TO PAY A FEW CENTS MORE FOR THEIR TRIPLE BACON CHEESEBURGERS, WOULD YOU BROTHER?

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
McDonald's can afford to pay its workers a living wage without sacrificing any of its low menu prices, according to a new study provided to The Huffington Post by a University of Kansas researcher.

Doubling the salaries and benefits of all McDonald's employees -- from workers earning the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour to CEO Donald Thompson, whose 2012 compensation totaled $8.75 million -- would cause the price of a Big Mac to increase just 68 cents, from $3.99 to $4.67, University of Kansas research assistant Arnobio Morelix told HuffPost. In addition, every item on the Dollar Menu would go up by 17 cents.

Morelix's research comes as fast-food workers across the country strike for a $15 per hour minimum wage. Workers are also protesting for the right to unionize without fear of retaliation. Protesters are holding strikes in seven cities over a four-day period, according to Salon.

Morelix looked at McDonald's 2012 annual report and discovered that only 17.1 percent of the fast-food giant's revenue goes toward salaries and benefits. In other words, for every dollar McDonald's earns, a little more than 17 cents goes toward the income and benefits of its more than 500,000 U.S. employees.

Thus, if McDonald's executives wanted to double the salaries of all of its employees and keep profits and other expenses the same, it would need to increase prices by just 17 cents per dollar, according to Morelix.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/29/mcdonalds-salaries_n_3672006.html

SuikodenII

Where's Suikoden VI??????
Daps
Not that I disagree, but from a economic standpoint how sustainable would this be if hypothetically everyone at taco bell makes $15/hr...
I guess the people who make billions would have to make a little less...........though I don't see that actually happening, instead it would cause the business model to change because the top guys ain't taking no dividend cut. :heh:

Iamnoone

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
No one should be getting 15 and hr to push buttons on a register, or put burgers on a conveyor belt. The job requires 10 minutes of training and you're done. The only thing they should get a raise for is dealing with the public. Dealing with the ignorant ass self entitled public is a bytch in itself. But fukk that doubling of wages to do essentially do a low risk remedial job. :rudy:

babylon1

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not that I disagree, but from a economic standpoint how sustainable would this be if hypothetically everyone at taco bell makes $15/hr...

not only is it sustainable but it would improve the economy. we need people spending money. not billionaires/millionaires hoarding it in banks. fast food workers tend to not save as they are incredibly poor. everything they get goes toward an expense. they'd have a little more discretionary income with the raise. that means more spending. that means a better economy for everyone.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This sounds like a perfect heist for

hamburglar-blog.jpg

:troll: