Fast-food workers walkout to protest low wages

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
off the farm into a factory paying him pennies

chinas countryside is the home of medicine and science

murder, jim crow, slavey are expressions of a capitalist class through the government they crafted to serve their interests

not capitalism anymore at that point.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
See I view things a little differently because I hate to leave the possibility to failure open. So for example I am in Lexington, KY where my itemized list of bills is common for the recent college grad who wants to live on their own can find. So you are out of college and need a place to work, chances are you don't have much savings and are in debt, what are you going to do if you can't land that dream job of your dreams in 6-9 months? That's right, you are taking a job that is supposedly "below" your worth. That leaves open the greater possibility for failure for more than half of the population in a very expensive city WITHOUT college degrees as well in addition to the ones who finished their bachelors.
But you're starting off that by shifting the terms of the argument to whether or not individuals are properly considering every factor when going to college from what happens to them after they graduate. This is an entirely different argument. We were discussing ex-post facto and now you're talking about an ex-ante analysis. I will assume that you're then relinquishing the prior the discussion. But I'll play along anyhow.

I don't view it on a scale of "jobs for college students" except for a very select fields such as medical, computer science, chemistry, and other select few science fields. Everything else? There is this stretched term that I am sure you are aware of and that's the "related field" in where any degree that your employer finds as even remotely relevant. I mentioned it in other posts here, you are not above ANY JOB especially when you are starting out. Many dig themselves in an even deeper hole because they are "too good" for a place like Walmart or Target.
Many have jobs with places like that while they're in school and continue to do so while looking for a job. I disagree, and the numbers disagree as well. Increasingly more and more college students are working at Starbucks and becoming waitresses and are working unpaid research positions. They are doing anything not to leave a blank space on their resume. This is just incorrect. Their humbleness is borne out of necessity. Now if you mean that people are graduating and looking for professional positions instead of being baggers then of course, but that's natural and logical. But regardless, it's a myth to say most people are looking for perfect matches, they major in fields knowing such things don't exist. In fact, most college graduates have jobs unrelated to their major. We all know that.

Chart.jpg

I also don't agree with the idea that degrees are not portable. This is not the 90's or even the early 00's, the world is changing drastically and was evident to me the minute I stepped into Amazon out here. Almost all the entry level manager jobs where occupied from people all over the country and NOT Kentucky residents. Furthermore, many had transferred to other facilities/companies outside of the state before I quit at the end of 2010. Having to hustle is a relative term, to me having the pressure of knowing that you can't live on a job that pays less than $17-$18 an hour in an expensive city such as NYC or L.A. and having to actively compete with 4-5x the population, the scale is just not in your favor. Solely based on numbers, do you not think its easier for a recent college grad looking for work in a mid-sized 250K-500K city with about a 3rd of the expenses of a major city makes more sense? Sure there are less jobs available, that's guaranteed. However, I am not telling you to go to some place like Interlachen, Florida in where the top job in the area might be a manager at a speedway.
I think you misunderstand what I mean by not portable. I don't know how to say this, but you and newark are kind of coming across as not understanding employment trends by even attempting to argue this point. By "not portable", I mean that the liberal arts major from the University of Rhode Island is not going to be getting hired in Kentucky right out of undergrad without ties. I'm going to bet that most of those "non-kentucky" residents have some sort of Kentucky ties or are from neighboring universities. One third of the university of rhode island is from NJ, it's not uncommon for people from there to work in Connecticut, RI, MA and NJ. I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who knows talent recruiters and served on panels dedicated to finding students jobs with employers while in college. A quick google search or even looking at where most of the graduates from your college landed their initial job will bear out my point. You guys are literally arguing against common knowledge right now. @NaijaProdigy Redux please tell these guys that all degrees are not created equal. You also listed AMAZON, who recruits NATIONALLY, it like you guys are looking to give me prime examples of exceptions to the rule. You might as well have said Google and Microsoft while you're at it.

amazon.jpg

There undergraduate hiring is not that different from this except schools closer to the area where the office is HQ'd have shots as well. Transferring is easy once your foot is in the door, that's not really a beneficial point.

As for, your comparative question, it ignores the entire point that I am making. Of course it's easier to live in a less expensive city, but it's not easier to get that job right off the bat. Your entire hypothetical relies upon a perfect world where individuals have that sort of freedom, they do not. My friends working on Ohio after college did not do it by choice, they did it because that's what the job market gave them.

Getting the first job is the biggest hassle in ANY city. The "entry level" job is one of the most annoying things coming out of college. I literally started looking for jobs and saw "entry level" jobs that required experience. The reality is that many of these companies don't want to spend money on training anyone these days, so yes the first job is always going to be stressful. Minimize the stress wherever you can, move away from a city that you are probably not in the best position to succeed in the time being and look to move back later once you are established if you want to.
No one has the money to just up and move to another city. My friend did that and ran out of money before he found a job and had to move back in with his parents like 53% to 85% of my graduating class of 2011: http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/14/pf/boomerang_kids_move_home/index.htm. People live at home with their parents and then send applications out EVERYWHERE. So let's not pretend that they're not trying to expand their boundaries. But in almost every case, that first tug is coming from somewhere local. You're trying to make it a succeed vs. not succeed argument, but you don't even get to the hypothetical you're posing without first acquiring a job, which again, is most likely to be near where you just graduated from. It boils down to this, you keep talking about what people should do, while ignoring first what they have to do to put himself or herself in that position. You're talking as if step 3 is feasible at step 1. In most cases it is not.

Amazon, Xerox, University of Kentucky, Lexmark, Ashland/Valvoline Oil, and Walmart (Don't knock it) are all in Lexington and provide opportunities for people to grow. You can also expand that to Louisville if you are willing to travel. Walmart is a good option if you have a liberal arts, comm, or art related field because I would assume that if you stuck it out you can make it to an assistant manager position relatively quickly and have the flexibility to move to other parts of the country once a manager position opens up in an area you desire or benefit from.
Nobody wants to be a Wal-Mart manager long term, that's a starting point. But I'll give you that. Most people will not leave their home state to be a manager at Wal-Mart. Louisville it is exactly the type of city that was referenced in my job + affordability list. I don't know if it was listed on the one I pasted above, but it's on most lists. So that's a moot point. But other than that, I'm pretty sure everything I've said before addresses the points you're trying to make here.

So what is the best part of it all? Knowing that even if it took you 2 years to ultimately make great strides in your field and were able to support yourself on a low wage paying job. Something that is proving to be damn near impossible in NYC or other large cities these days. I understand that my argument is heavily toward the city of New York, but it is the largest city in the country and Los Angeles can't be THAT far off. At least San Francisco pays somewhat reasonable wages from what I hear, too bad "the greatest city in the world" is really behind in terms of providing a livable wage to the majority of residents. That is not something I can't support even if it where I was born and raised.
My argument is not based heavily on New York, my argument was using NY as a proxy because it seems that's where we veered off to. People do flock to major metro areas like NYC, San Fran, DC, Chicago, etc. Your critique is correct in that regard. But you overstate that factor and regard it as the primary factor. Ultimately, it is one of many factors that are ancillary to the job market's overall weakness. I ask you, why is this an issue now and why wasn't it an issue a decade before when all of these same personality defects that you're looking at as the cause of the problem were still in effect? It's because the job market was better. I hope that rambling makes sense, I didn't really stop to proofread what I was typing.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
:stopitslime:

Are they better off now that they quit?
It doesn't matter. They were getting paid floor level and raises awareness.

Awareness > being a bytch and doing nothing about it. I wish them well.

I will respond to @BarNone tomorrow morning, I am tired now.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
It doesn't matter. They were getting paid floor level and raises awareness.

Awareness > being a bytch and doing nothing about it. I wish them well.

I will respond to @BarNone tomorrow morning, I am tired now.
:bryan:niqqa they landlord and pg&e dont want to hear sh*it about how they raised awareness. They basically jumped out the window...

luckily we have a government that supports this kinda thing. :snoop:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
:bryan:niqqa they landlord and pg&e dont want to hear sh*it about how they raised awareness. They basically jumped out the window...

luckily we have a government that supports this kinda thing. :snoop:
You are not telling me anything I don't know

Its better in the long run if these things keep happening. You are just thinking short term and for the individual. I wish EVERY minimum wage fast food worker would walk out in NYC and have them collapse for a day. Those suits would shyt themselves at the press coverage and money they would lose that day.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
You are not telling me anything I don't know

Its better in the long run if these things keep happening. You are just thinking short term and for the individual. I wish EVERY minimum wage fast food worker would walk out in NYC and have them collapse for a day. Those suits would shyt themselves at the press coverage and money they would lose that day.
You're aiming at the wrong target still. The artificially high cost of living is the problem not wages. Raising wages, will just send more jobs overseas.

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
that class gained their position through the machinations of capitalism so the expressions of that class are all the more expressions of capitalism

No they didn't. The ruling elites of Europe got there through religion and war.

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
war and capitalism go hand in hand, ask orwell

So Im supposed to ask myself?

Were just getting into off topic history at this point.
Bottom line,

Work a dead end j0b with no other career plans, brehs.