distinguishedNOW

THIS MY GOTDAMN HOUSE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wake.
Only reason I dislike it is the games are more free flowing/generally better during the group stage. The knockout games teams play so tight and scared that the scoring/level of play usually falls off. Now there's the one less game per group. Not to mention some of these great teams will be drawn with a minnow country and basically have a Bye.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I like the idea of knockout rounds from 32 onwards.

I think you guys are upset because its different, not because it is good or bad.
Nah I dislike it because
1)it dilutes the pool and make the gap between best teams and worst teams huge
2)makes group stage less meaningful
3)encourages semi-corrupt collusion ties between two teams to fukk over the third team in group stage

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Nah I dislike it because
1)it dilutes the pool and make the gap between best teams and worst teams huge
2)makes group stage less meaningful
3)encourages semi-corrupt collusion ties between two teams to fukk over the third team in group stage
the division between best and worst is always going to be vast at the start.

The field has gotten closer since they went from 24 to 32 in 2002.

Group stages are 2 matches, so they are more meaningful.

Collusion was always a possibility in group stage. The greatest collusion example took place in 1982 between Austria and West Germany.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
the division between best and worst is always going to be vast at the start.

The field has gotten closer since they went from 24 to 32 in 2002.

Group stages are 2 matches, so they are more meaningful.

Collusion was always a possibility in group stage. The greatest collusion example took place in 1982 between Austria and West Germany.
Dude something like Germany vs Uzbekistan will be pure slaughter.

Teams used to be weeded out in qualifiers. They still need qualifiers because otherwise national teams will look like they've never played together before.

two thirds of teams make the offs vs half the teams make the group stage less interesting. all the good teams are less likely to fukk up and not advance.

sure collusion always was there but with a two game system it's begging for it. you don't have to tally goals or anything, a win and a tie gets you to offs. so there will be tons of games that end in a tie and have zero yellows

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps

Teams used to be weeded out in qualifiers. They still need qualifiers because otherwise national teams will look like they've never played together before.

two thirds of teams make the offs vs half the teams make the group stage less interesting. all the good teams are less likely to fukk up and not advance.

sure collusion always was there but with a two game system it's begging for it. you don't have to tally goals or anything, a win and a tie gets you to offs. so there will be tons of games that end in a tie and have zero yellows
not really.

Europe often has the most mediocre teams and im sure they will get more places now.

CONMEBOL bloodbaths will be over :wow: even if they do it with CONCACAF, it's never going to be same struggle and intensity as the 1996-2022 period :wow:
this is true.

If they combine the regions, then that will be a compromise, but that is one tragedy of this.

Its only one continent tho. The rest of the continens WCQs were :coffee::zzz::snooze::yawn:

concise

Veteran
Daps

The tournament was not uninteresting when 2/3 made it from 1986-1994. :comeon:

You don't have to tally goals so teams are just going to stand around and play for 0-0s? And be rusty for the knockout stages? :dwillhuh:

I suspect most who are so against it are just looking at the numbers and not looking at the fact the tournament is being more inclusive and is becoming more of a purer tournament.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Don't know how I feel about it. One argument is that it will water down the quality of football and the other side is that I want more African representation in WC since only group winners (5 groups = 5 teams) in the African Qualifiers get a spot at the WC.