Florida man nets erroneous $980,000 IRS refund, buys Lexus, gets busted

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Not sure why peeps think they can get over on the IRS and the FBI, has never happened, they eventually catch you. You have to be a graduate levels of stupid to do what he did and thought no one would catch it.......

NY Daily News - We are currently unavailable in your region

Freelancers’ finances tend to raise red flags with the Internal Revenue Service at tax time. But a Florida man who somehow managed to snag a $980,000 tax refund while classifying himself as freelance got more than an audit – though he could also get props for moxie.

Ramon Christopher Blanchett, 29, of Tampa eked out a hair under $18,500 in earnings for 2016 but inexplicably was credited with $1 million in withholding.

In February 2017 Blanchett did his own taxes, the Tampa Bay Times reported, filing electronically and listing his occupation as “freelancer.” He submitted several W-2 forms, one showing he earned $17,098 with $1 million of federal income tax withheld. The IRS duly issued the $980,000 refund, which Blanchett deposited at Sun Trust.

Sun Trust smelled fraud and froze the accounts, sending Blanchett a check. He opened a new account elsewhere, “falsely representing that the funds were from the estate of his deceased father,” the IRS states in a forfeiture complaint it filed in U.S. District Court in Tampa, and reported on by the Tampa Bay Times.

The feds finally caught up with him, but not before he’d opened several accounts by dividing the money up, and using $49,117 of it to buy a Lexus RC350.

That’s when the IRS confiscated the Lexus and the $919,251 that he had left. The IRS is still after Blanchett for the remaining $809, the amount of auto insurance he was refunded after losing the car to the feds.

Despite all this, Blanchett has not been charged, the Tampa Bay Times noted, though fraud charges could be forthcoming.

Daps
I really don't understand why these dudes stay getting licks like this and don't just put the money in a high yield mutual fund and collect interest on it until the feds come knocking :snoop:

The IRS is going to confiscate that earned interest too
:pachaha:

When it involves the IRS just give it back immediately
:francis:

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wouldn’t touch it nor would I report it. If they realise their mistake and claim then fine, if not it’ll just sit there for at least ten years till I’m sure they’ve forgotten then it’s :ohlawd:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
so there's no built in alert system in the IRS that makes them question refunds above something like $10k? Like how did this shyt automatically send out $980k?

nikka, the IRS are clowns

it took me and wifee 3 years to get our shyt straight because someone jacked my identity to file a fake return.

Keep in mind my wife and I have filed joint forever, but you see all of a sudden a single person tax return with income less than 10% of what we've been filing and that doesn't send a red flag..... :what:

their systems don't even talk to each other man. shyt is a joke.